PDA

View Full Version : Ouch.

CHEESE2009
01-16-2011, 04:57 AM
I'm in pain, head to toe!

So I guess I started my first pass around 7pm? Did a quick pass of all the local properties.

Went home, took a break.

At midnight I started my second pass and did the outskirts of my town and further places.

I just got home (4:41 AM)

In 2009 I used to provide Driveway clearing... I would have been smart to try this year - I hate to brag, but I have created thousands of shoveling techniques that not only improve time, but injury.

Back in 2009, no matter the size (really) of a driveway, if snow is up to my belly button - I'd have that driveway and walkway cleared in 40 minutes
(my average).

This year, I only do walkways.... I do a few driveways for fun and to fill holes... and I can literally clear a driveway in half the time I did in 2009 with plenty of energy to spare. (I should make a video, but I'm very very lazy).

ANYWAY, my skills were put to the test today when I shoveled out a 30 car parking lot. With snow up to my knees (exactly).

When I finished one half of the lot, I started looking at how I could attach my shovel to the truck and use it as a plow... I realized I was getting desperate, HAHA! This is where I toss my skills aside and wish the snow had feelings so I could hurt them bad.

Anyway, instead I got into a truck because I thought I was going to have a heart attack, as when I work - I tend to push myself to the limit. I like to see how much power I have lol, self-destructive tendency haha.

I turned on the truck and said, "F-this..."

I drove my truck back and forth maybe 30 times in the same section, and magically - the snow friggen disappeared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The snow didn't just flatted or push to the sides of the wheels... I suppose 60% of the snow vanished, making my shoveling go just THAT much faster and more productive.

The area of this parking lot is unfamiliar to me, the cars are allowed to park on the streets during snowstorms etc... And I guess that's why the city plows do an AWFUL job which I end up having to do... Ya, I gotta shovel the damn street too because in the morning "customers" can't get in. I have to shovel half on the road, making sure I pile the snow on my clients property to avoid a fine.

This is my rant of the... 2 days... I'm exhausted, can't sleep -
and I want to take a bath in a volcano.

Growing Green
01-16-2011, 07:44 PM
LOL Scott! Sorry you had to go through all of this, but I do appreciate the laughs.

Matt

bruces
01-16-2011, 11:17 PM
its about -10* F. here tonight,but the hottub on my deck is 108.8*F. ,best thing in the winter for my aching back , I wouldnt shovel a driveway without it .

Steve
01-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Scott, I hate to see you just manually push through all this. Is there anything you can do to make it easier on yourself?

You only get one body and if you get injured, you are going to be in a bad spot.

Even what seems like a small back pain can lead to big big problems in the future.

CHEESE2009
01-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Scott, I hate to see you just manually push through all this. Is there anything you can do to make it easier on yourself?

You only get one body and if you get injured, you are going to be in a bad spot.

Even what seems like a small back pain can lead to big big problems in the future.

Well, I've been pretty lucky. We haven't had much snow yet so I have a ton of time off. When I do have to work, it's always brutal lol. I pay the price for relaxing, that's for sure.

I suppose I do know when to call it quits, if I can't figure out a solution.
The good news is, it's good for my moral which has been a major issue (2010).

I love to take on a challenge, this parking lot gave me the feeling of life. I was living the dream in some way, like "surviving" as I could even imagine digging myself out of hell... I like to make it fun! LOL

This work will eventually pay off, I just can't wait for spring to come...

Steve
01-19-2011, 02:09 AM
With these two winter seasons under your belt, how has the experience effected your view on how you will go about dealing with it next winter? What will you do differently or keep doing the same way?