PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a New Home/Lawn Care business owner in Indiana

mathteacherj
01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi, my name is Jason, and I have made the leap of starting my own home/lawn care business in Northeast Indiana. I've done outdoor work since I was a teenager and as a teacher now, lawncare is a great way for the most part to get a little extra income. I've worked for other companies and been the peion that gets paid diddly when the job was a well paying one. I've had to work as trimmer &$#@ as I watch the lazy guys that think they rule the world when they're on their mower. So, I finally decided I've had enough of working for someone else, and my wife and I decided to invest in me instead of the volatile markets. So, I'm here to learn from you all who have experience and knowledge so that I can do this the right way. Thank you all in advance for your expertise and guidance!!

Jason

Steve
01-14-2011, 01:18 AM
Hi Jason,

Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of things have you invested in so far to get your business up and running?

mathteacherj
01-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Well, I've basically just bought a few essentials to landscaping. I already had shovels and hand tools, but I've added to that collection with more. I also bought a Red-Max Blower, an old Crapsman Wheel blower, and a snowblower that I got a heck of a deal on. One other purchase that I LOVE is the LoadHandler 3000!! Saved a TON of time and made me A LOT more money per hour on a few jobs I did in the fall!!

I am definitely not putting the cart in front of the horse though when it comes to buying large/expensive equipment. I will be starting this spring with putting in lawn care bids for larger areas, which may then lead to me purchasing a larger mower and trailer. I also have potentially 8 yards that I will pick up next year that is a buddy that I work with who has been doing them to pay for his daughter's college. Obviously, I'll get something then if not this year.

As I said, I am just trying to step in carefully and thoughtfully with this whole process. I am a full time teacher, so I want to build gradually enough that I can still take care of most of the work with a helper. Hopefully, I will eventually get enough business to bring on a more permanent helper who can run field operations until I get out of school for the summer.

Does it sound like I'm going about it the right way??

Jason

D&KLAWNS
01-14-2011, 09:30 PM
hey mathteacherj! I teach as well and have a lawn service which I thoroughly enjoy. I started with push mowers and worked my way up to commercial equipment. I wish you all the best in your business. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Steve
01-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Does it sound like I'm going about it the right way

That all sounds great!

Can you do any type of marketing through the students? Like letting them know you are doing part time lawn work if their parents need their lawn mowed?

Or maybe put on an assembly at school and talk about outdoor power equipment safety? Include flyers that discuss safety points the students could take home along with your contact information?

mathteacherj
01-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Oh yes, I have definitely mentioned to the students that I do this and to mention it to their parents.

And great idea on the assembly idea. I could do a safety workshop for the kids that do the mowing. They are now getting to that age when they are starting to do it for their parents.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Jason

Steve
01-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Keep us posted on how it all goes. There are a lot of teachers on here that would love to hear from you, what you found that works or doesnt work when it comes to marketing through the schools.

950thomas
01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I am new to forum have owned a landscape company past ten years. We employ 14 to 18 people year round we are a full service biz from tree work to irrigation we do it all

Steve
01-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Welcome to our forum!

You seem to be doing really well.

What advice do you have for newer lawn care business owners just getting started?

Maybe your top 5 tips?