PDA

View Full Version : Graphic designer advice needed

TheGoat
01-12-2011, 10:19 PM
As some of you might know I hired a designer to work up a logo for my lawn service (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com). I posted the initial results here and got some feedback from you guys and after getting some of your suggestions, I forwarded my own to the designer.

4 days go by and I hear nothing. Now if this were a brick and mortar biz where I could go down to their studio and see what is up, a long reply time on an email is no biggie, but in my opinion when the work is being done by an individual who I only have contact with through email, a prompt reply is kinda important. Even if that reply is, "Hey, I'm swamped, get back to you in about a week."

So I'm like, "to hell with it, I guess she doesn't want the work" and I start shopping for someone else.

So yesterday(a full week later) she writes me saying she's been swamped and will have something for me today.

Alas, still nothing. What to do...

http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/46506/2750420090081642538S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2750420090081642538dAnZtD)

Hedgemaster
01-12-2011, 11:09 PM
OK, I didn't say anything before because I thought maybe this was drawn by a friend/relative and I didn't want to be rude, but I don't like the goat.

It's not the "idea" that I don't like, I don't like THAT goat - it doesn't look like a goat to me, and it doesn't look like art that you paid money for. I think I may have said this in the other thread, but it looks "amateurish".

Also, I'd be curious as to what type of "final art" you are supposed to be getting.
Is it going to be actual artwork? (It appears to be completely hand-drawn, including the lettering) Is it going to be scanned, or saved in a format that allows you to hand it to a printer in some sort of USABLE format? Trust me, I did design for print advertising for ten years - people gave me all SORTS of nonsense that was supposed to be their "logo" that was practically useless to me as an artist tasked with using it in their ad.

As for the time to do the job... your call. I guess you could give it another day or two, but unless she were keeping me up to date on "issues" that were causing a delay, I'd start to wonder.

TheGoat
01-12-2011, 11:24 PM
OK, I didn't say anything before because I thought maybe this was drawn by a friend/relative and I didn't want to be rude, but I don't like the goat.

It's not the "idea" that I don't like, I don't like THAT goat - it doesn't look like a goat to me, and it doesn't look like art that you paid money for. I think I may have said this in the other thread, but it looks "amateurish".

Also, I'd be curious as to what type of "final art" you are supposed to be getting.
Is it going to be actual artwork? (It appears to be completely hand-drawn, including the lettering) Is it going to be scanned, or saved in a format that allows you to hand it to a printer in some sort of USABLE format? Trust me, I did design for print advertising for ten years - people gave me all SORTS of nonsense that was supposed to be their "logo" that was practically useless to me as an artist tasked with using it in their ad.

As for the time to do the job... your call. I guess you could give it another day or two, but unless she were keeping me up to date on "issues" that were causing a delay, I'd start to wonder.

part of my initial requirements were that the final product be delivered in .svg format

Steve
01-13-2011, 02:19 AM
I like your logo and I would go with any of them actually.

Logos can always be changed over time and upgraded to go with a new feel.

Make sure you like it and then run with it :)

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I like #2 the best but the eyes on the goat just look wrong....but they all work so you can get vinyl and hit the season runnin:D

Growing Green
01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
The goat looks scared or has a "puppy eye" look. Makes me feel sorry for the goat. hehe

Still not a bad logo. I like the first logo, but with the green from the 3rd logo.

Matt

CHEESE2009
01-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I believe that by adding eyebrows to the goat with a little room to place them, you can give the goat any expression you want.

I do love the expression as is, kind of like the "caught in the action" look.

I would also perhaps replace the letter "O" with the goats head. His head can be used as a letter, compacting your logo and being kind of clever.

There are a ton of ways you can alter it.

#2, I like the grass... Unfortunately I don't like it covering your goat, it's cluttered.

The font on the other's is cartoonish, and I like it. Though I can't help but like #3 the most.... :confused:

I recommend;

The goat is good, goats are very difficult to draw - though I believe it could be improved.