PDA

View Full Version : gutter cleaning

jasonw
01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Is there a proper process to cleaning gutters or is it a mater of just digging crap out of them? Is there a walk through or something that someone can give me to streamline the process like "start here and end here"?

jasonw
01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Also how do you bid jobs like that? Is it a flat rate per house or hourly?

Steve
01-13-2011, 02:26 AM
There has been much discussion on this topic and it seems like everyone has different views on the best way to perform this task.

I think the messiest way and the quickest may be power washing the gutters clean, but all that content has got to go somewhere once it is blasted out and usually that means onto the ground below which will cause you more problems.

Digging it out manually and emptying it into a bucket may be slower but more efficient in the long run.

As far as the estimation process. I think the consensus has been about $1.00 per linear foot. More if the roof is high and difficult to work with.

jymie
01-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Here's an interesting idea on cleaning gutters

http://www.gutterclutterbuster.com/index.php?gclid=CMCmwumQt6YCFYHc4AodrjwfIQ

Also a home made tool

http://www.ehow.com/how_6860008_make-vac-using-leaf-vacuumn.html

and

http://www.homeimprovementsdepot.com/how-to-make-a-gutter-cleaning-vacuum/

Steve
01-14-2011, 02:15 AM
That is really cool! The Gutter Clutter Buster.

Have you experimented with anything like that yet?

jymie
01-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Not yet but I may try that next fall.

Steve
01-16-2011, 02:29 AM
If you do, I'd love to hear how it worked.

That kind of device has the potential to really be a time saver and elimate the threat of falls.

DillonB92
01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
This is what I do:

I get a 5 Gallon Bucket and my trashcan with a bag in it. Next i set my ladder up on the house and take my bucket and another tool. I call it my arm extender because that's pretty much what it does. Its really an extendable cultivator/hoe tool you can buy at lowes for like $15. It is well worth it.I start by picking out the debris right below the ladder and right beside the ladder. I next take my Arm extender and take one section between the Gutter Supports at a time. I keep going and reach as far as i can. I can usually reach about 6 or 7 sections without moving my ladder. Once you start playing with it you find ways to move the leaves under the supports and farther down. It is tricky at first but you'll figure it out. After i get all that out i will dump the bucket. I'll do a hole side then grab the blower and blow whats left out. It works well though its not the fastest its in my opinion the best looking and gets it really clean.

This is the tool i use:

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Extendable-Handle-Hoe-Cultivator/26736.uts

jasonw
01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
This is what I do:

I get a 5 Gallon Bucket and my trashcan with a bag in it. Next i set my ladder up on the house and take my bucket and another tool. I call it my arm extender because that's pretty much what it does. Its really an extendable cultivator/hoe tool you can buy at lowes for like $15. It is well worth it.I start by picking out the debris right below the ladder and right beside the ladder. I next take my Arm extender and take one section between the Gutter Supports at a time. I keep going and reach as far as i can. I can usually reach about 6 or 7 sections without moving my ladder. Once you start playing with it you find ways to move the leaves under the supports and farther down. It is tricky at first but you'll figure it out. After i get all that out i will dump the bucket. I'll do a hole side then grab the blower and blow whats left out. It works well though its not the fastest its in my opinion the best looking and gets it really clean.

This is the tool i use:

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Extendable-Handle-Hoe-Cultivator/26736.uts

Would it be easier to just use the ladder to climb on the roof so you dont have to worry about moving it. I know when I hose out my gutters on my house I just grab my hose and jump on the roof and do it all from up there.

DillonB92
01-16-2011, 09:09 PM
It may be i never tried it. I only get ont he roof when i have to. I don't like the steepness of some of our roofs around here.

jasonw
01-16-2011, 09:38 PM
It may be i never tried it. I only get ont he roof when i have to. I don't like the steepness of some of our roofs around here.

I know the feeling, When I was a fire fighter I was on one with wood shakes and they were all moldy, scary crap there. I like mine though. The pitch is not to bad.

DillonB92
01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Haha I know how that can be. the roofs around here are steep on the sides with gutters and not as steep where there are no gutters. I'm not sure why we don't get much snow but i mean the way i do it seems to work its quicker and not to messy

jasonw
01-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Haha I know how that can be. the roofs around here are steep on the sides with gutters and not as steep where there are no gutters. I'm not sure why we don't get much snow but i mean the way i do it seems to work its quicker and not to messy

I have yet to clean any gutters other than my own. I clean up the front but my back yard is unladnscaped so I just use the high pressure of the hose and blow the crap all over the yard and leave it there. Not sure I can get away with that at a clients house though lol. I am sure doing the job is not rocket science "Get the crap out of the gutters" I am just looking for an efficient way to get it done before actually doing it, Kinda to late in the season for it anyway. I am told for an average single family one story home here its about $120 for gutter cleaning.