PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Architect?

Jack
01-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I am in quite a bit of confusion. I have been reading and 49 of the 50 states require Landscape Architects to be licensed and to obtain it you usually have to have a masters degree in landscaping, or tons of work experience.
So is a Landscape Architect different than say a regular residential landscaper? From what I have read it just talks about working for the city and such.
I read over the Act and to plant even a bush you need this license. So I am confused to who this applys to. Any help would be great! It's called "Landscape Architects Professional Licensing Act".

jymie
01-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Unless I am wrong, this may only apply to people that design full landscapes.

jasonw
01-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I spoke with my county building department who would be the ones doing inspections and permits and according to them anyone can draw uo a plan. They just explained to me to make sure the homeowner knows they are responsible for engineering if the county requires it.

Jack
01-12-2011, 12:55 AM
I spoke with my county building department who would be the ones doing inspections and permits and according to them anyone can draw uo a plan. They just explained to me to make sure the homeowner knows they are responsible for engineering if the county requires it.

So a landscape architect works for the county or state? That would make sense.

Steve
01-12-2011, 02:26 AM
I would think you can not promote yourself as a landscape architect unless you have such a degree.

Performing landscaping services is much different. You may need a local license for it too depending on your area but it is much different.

Larger projects may call for a landscape architect to design or approve.

picframer
01-12-2011, 05:42 AM
In the area we service, I need an engineer's certificate from a certified landscape architect on new construction sites or when we perform landscaping/excavation work within a certain distance to an water (Lake, Ocean, Brook etc), on new construction sites it relates directly to grade and interceptor drains. We can plant trees/grass/shrubs etc. however anywhere the client wants. On established sites I only need a certificate if we are within a certain distance of water.

If the client has the budget, we have a sub contractor that we use, she is a certified horticulturist and landscape architect, we probably use her less than 10 times a year.

jasonw
01-12-2011, 09:50 AM
So a landscape architect works for the county or state? That would make sense.

I think its a state license but the state blows and dose not even know their own laws. I called the department that would be permitting and inspecting and work done from plans I made and they told me there is no law, basically I am drawing and selling a picture.