PDA

View Full Version : How will the Democrats vote on minimum wage?

Steve
12-11-2006, 02:02 PM
What percentage of lco employees would you say make $5.15 an hour?

How will a vote to increase minimum wage effect your business next year?

Do you think the Democrats will be able to get this past?

Scraping by on minimum wages while waiting for Congress to act (http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2006/12/10/12102006wacminwage.html) - As Democrats in Congress aim to raise the minimum wage from $5.15 an hour to $7.25 an hour over the next two years, Martinez said that boost is badly needed.

“If I had been making a little bit more, I maybe would have been able to fix the car,” she said. “I maybe would still have a job.”

The struggle to raise the family on her husband’s landscaping salary of $9 an hour goes like this: “The paycheck is gone in an hour and when it’s gone, it’s gone. You scrape by.”

Billz
12-11-2006, 06:22 PM
They raised it in Michigan to 7.45 or something like that. The first phase went into effect on Oct 1 to 6.95...I was expecting raises in prices on everything here...but haven't noticed any yet. The majority of the workers getting minimum wage are fast food workers, and maybe some supermarket baggers/stockboys, I think. I think the companies just absorbed that into their bottom line.

tiedeman
12-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Nothing too major here in Michigan...yet. I have notice though some things seem higher. For example, the last month or so my wife and I had gone Christmas shopping. And both of us notice that a lot of things are really not on sale this year. Or if they are on sale, they are only like $1 or $2 off. Take a big ticket item that is $120. A good sale would be like $99. Well, here it would only be like $109. Not a good sale. That is just our opinion though.

Steve
12-12-2006, 09:36 AM
It will be interesting to see if the prices do drop as it gets closer to Christmas.