PDA

View Full Version : New Webpage is up and runnin!!!!

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-11-2011, 01:44 AM
just created the new webpage check it out!!

www.prolawncare.tk

Pro Lawn Care logo created by Matt with M.A.K. landscaping and webpage assistance by Hungry Goat lawn care:D

The Cleaning Doctor
01-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Why did you get a domain for Tokelau?

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Why did you get a domain for Tokelau?

Huh? dottk is a free domain service not Tokelau, check the link:cool:

http://www.dot.tk Renaming The Internet

Steve
01-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Will that domain be an issue of people do not recognize it? Also, do you own it? Will you be able to renew it?

The Cleaning Doctor
01-11-2011, 03:20 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.tk

http://www.freewebspace.net/free/Free-domain/-2Etk/details

your web site is the lowest cost form of advertising you do. you only have one shot to impress the customer. a .tk is not how to do it. if you can not afford $12 for the domain and $10 per month for hosting and email then don't make a site. or go with $10 per year for domain, hosting and email from Google Sites. the problem is you are limited there too like no paypal on google sites

you see me being the customer would look for .tk to find out what it is and after finding out it was another country I did not know of, I would think scam immediately.

mark123
01-11-2011, 06:59 AM
... if you can not afford $12 for the domain and $10 per month ...
Heck, you can get hosting for $2 per month. I agree with TCD, .tk is spammer's paradise. I'm not even clicking on that link.

Didn't we just go through this .tk junk a few weeks ago?

mark123
01-11-2011, 07:04 AM
... Didn't we just go through this .tk junk a few weeks ago?
oops, I seem to have mentioned a deleted thread. Apologies.

aduttonater
01-11-2011, 08:01 AM
tk should not be a problem. It's all about who you are and what you've provided to your customers. If your long term customer flips out and changes services because of your website, then there are bigger issues currently happening, and its not with you.

I would recommend using the website as a hyper link - Click here (http://albertduttonlandscaping.weebly.com/recent-pics.html) for more information is an example. I have weebly, does this affect my credibility? Will people think I'm a scam based on my website, or will they call me first?

mark123
01-11-2011, 09:33 AM
... I have weebly, does this affect my credibility? Will people think I'm a scam based on my website, or will they call me first?
Unfortunately, it does affect your credibility. Whenever I see a business site that has "this site built with some sort of free service" I pass. If they're not going to put forth the effort to have a proper site it makes me wonder about all the services they offer. It's an example of having no site is better than having a bad one.

CHEESE2009
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
before I read anything, I want to make a post;

I am paying for www.ipage.com hosting.

They offer more than you can imagine, Weebly website building is included if you want it ************ and instead of upgrading your account to get more "tools".... You can cheat the system and create your own if you know how - or know someone who knows how ;)

I save myself over $10/month

My website for example

www.breezelawnservice.ca

with flash, you can create an infinite amount of webpages - so don't pay for it lol

Just pay for the proper hosting and domain name

Steve
01-12-2011, 01:57 AM
oops, I seem to have mentioned a deleted thread. Apologies.

You are absolutely right! We did see another page on here with the .tk top level domain. Many posts were about how it probably was a scam and was installing malware on viewers computers.

So I deleted it because I thought it was probably spam too.

Yikes! If I did that, how will the general public respond?

mark123
01-12-2011, 03:53 PM
You are absolutely right! We did see another page on here with the .tk top level domain. Many posts were about how it probably was a scam and was installing malware on viewers computers.

So I deleted it because I thought it was probably spam too.

Yikes! If I did that, how will the general public respond?

Ah, thanks Steve. :)

I'm not being critical just to be. It is a serious concern. $8 for a real domain name is a small price to pay to instill some trust.

Steve
01-13-2011, 01:41 AM
I agree with you. I don't bash anyone on here. If there is a serious concern, I want to point it out so it can be corrected quickly and minimize any financial damage it may cause the business owner.

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Will that domain be an issue of people do not recognize it? Also, do you own it? Will you be able to renew it?

I own it and renewing will not be an issue:cool:) as for people not recognizing it possibly but the website is just one of many ways to advertise so I am betting on the fact that it will be connected to me and Pro Lawn Care's youtube channel and Facebook fan page as well as print advertising that the .tk will be of little concern:cool:

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-13-2011, 08:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.tk

http://www.freewebspace.net/free/Free-domain/-2Etk/details

your web site is the lowest cost form of advertising you do. you only have one shot to impress the customer. a .tk is not how to do it. if you can not afford $12 for the domain and $10 per month for hosting and email then don't make a site. or go with $10 per year for domain, hosting and email from Google Sites. the problem is you are limited there too like no paypal on google sites

you see me being the customer would look for .tk to find out what it is and after finding out it was another country I did not know of, I would think scam immediately.

Well I will say this, should it truly become a issue I will consider either taking it down or moving it to a more mainstream dot com but for now its just one more piece of the puzzle and is as inexpensive as it gets.

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, it does affect your credibility. Whenever I see a business site that has "this site built with some sort of free service" I pass. If they're not going to put forth the effort to have a proper site it makes me wonder about all the services they offer. It's an example of having no site is better than having a bad one.

Research by McAfee

In 2006, McAfee conducted a survey in which they claim out of the 95 percent most trafficked web sites, .tk domains were twice as likely as the global average to be used for "unwanted behaviors", including scams such as phishing and spam.[4] However, in 2008 McAfee reported that the threat of scams like phishing and spam was significantly reduced with .tk and that other top level domains such as .com and .net were much more used in such scams.[5]

mark123
01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Do what you want. I just offered my advice and, in my opinion, it's good advice. I'm just trying to help and I do wish you luck in your endeavor.

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Do what you want. I just offered my advice and, in my opinion, it's good advice. I'm just trying to help and I do wish you luck in your endeavor.

Well after much thought and conversation with friends and a few phone calls to customers in regards to the new website I have decided to take yours and others advice and go with a dot com or dot net, new website will be up and runnin shortly:D

MAKLawnCutter
01-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Its cause JLH is the dude.

Sorry i was nearly asleep when you called. Heading to get my baby and moma!

Matt

Steve
01-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Well after much thought and conversation with friends and a few phone calls to customers in regards to the new website I have decided to take yours and others advice

What kind of feedback were you hearing from those you talked to?

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-14-2011, 06:44 PM
What kind of feedback were you hearing from those you talked to?
Well several of my customers though impressed with the actual website they were a bit worried about the dot tk,and if they were worried and several on here mentioned the dot tk instead of the website, i figured why not it can only help rather than hurt to go ahead and build a dot com.:D

nobody really said anything harmful just that they were not used to seeing the dot tk and that had i not linked it to them they may not have clicked it on their own so JLHProLawnCare.com will be solid tomorrow and the build will begin again with some new comtent:cool:

CHEESE2009
01-15-2011, 08:54 PM
I don't need a Dot Com...

I've got

DOT CA BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CANADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hahahaha

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-15-2011, 11:11 PM
well I now have www.jlhprolawncare.com up and running:D

I don't need a Dot Com...

I've got

DOT CA BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CANADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hahahaha

Steve
01-16-2011, 02:11 AM
That is great!

You know you can embed your youtube video at the bottom of your webpage if you'd like too.

Just copy and paste the embed code.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OagYTXnNlsE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OagYTXnNlsE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mark123
01-16-2011, 08:01 AM
well I now have www.jlhprolawncare.com up and running:D Great! The site looks good. Maybe a little cookie-cutter-ish but good. I'd get rid of the big purple picture at the bottom as it breaks the site's color scheme.

Get rid of the styling in the head and the styling in the body is invalid and I'm not even sure it will be applied.

The contact page has a list of contact information but the About page has a contact form. (confusing)

"Email us" is a link but it is not underlined and it has a ":" after it implying something should follow. I though maybe you forgot the link.

The bright green phone number is a bit hard to read on the light colored background.

Bah, tables based layout. BAH, I say!

Growing Green
01-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Great! The site looks good. Maybe a little cookie-cutter-ish but good. I'd get rid of the big purple picture at the bottom as it breaks the site's color scheme.

Get rid of the styling in the head and the styling in the body is invalid and I'm not even sure it will be applied.

The contact page has a list of contact information but the About page has a contact form. (confusing)

"Email us" is a link but it is not underlined and it has a ":" after it implying something should follow. I though maybe you forgot the link.

The bright green phone number is a bit hard to read on the light colored background.

Mark I always love reading your feedback on peoples websites. Can you please look at mine when you have a chance and give me feedback please.

www.allgrowinggreen.com

I appreciate it,
Matt

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Great! The site looks good. Maybe a little cookie-cutter-ish but good. I'd get rid of the big purple picture at the bottom as it breaks the site's color scheme. What purple picture?

Get rid of the styling in the head and the styling in the body is invalid and I'm not even sure it will be applied. Please explain a bit further

The contact page has a list of contact information but the About page has a contact form. (confusing) I havn't gotten to the about page yet but will shortly

"Email us" is a link but it is not underlined and it has a ":" after it implying something should follow. I though maybe you forgot the link. it says Email us!

The bright green phone number is a bit hard to read on the light colored background. I had thought maybe a darker green so i will change it and see if that works better

Thank you for the help:D

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Ya know I think I am gonna swap the picture for the embedded video:D

That is great!

You know you can embed your youtube video at the bottom of your webpage if you'd like too.

Just copy and paste the embed code.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OagYTXnNlsE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OagYTXnNlsE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mark123
01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Mark I always love reading your feedback on peoples websites.Thanks Matt. It's what I did at my last job before I had it working for someone else. ;) Unfortunately, many times people take offense to what I say when it's not intended to be taken that way. I'm just saying what I'd do to make things better.

Can you please look at mine when you have a chance and give me feedback please.
OK, the first thing I noticed is the pleasing color scheme. It seems to get broken by the bright red text concerning the gift cards on the right of the home page. Perhaps a more muted red would fit a bit better.

The layout is simple and I like it a lot, but looking at the underlying code it seems it is really unnecessarily heavy. That really doesn't mean a whole lot to the viewing public unless you make it so heavy that it actually slows down page loads. In my opinion every bit counts. In this case, it may be a non-issue.

Phone number at the top and in the page title! Fantastic! I'd put a zip code and a service area (your city perhaps) in the page title as well.

The list of services is laid out strangely to me. I'd put it in an unordered list using the UL and LI tags. Give it some semantic meaning.

There are not heading tags anywhere on the home page. Make use of at least H1 and H2.

Get rid of the &amp;nbsp; and FONT tags. Use CSS to do the styling and spacing work.

The About Us page is personable and friendly. I like it.

The Services page needs some better structure. I'm not a fan of dual columns on a web page. Reading a book you can easily go from the bottom of a column to the top of the next but on a web site you scroll down to the bottom of one column and then have to scroll up to start the next. It's not necessary in my opinion. The font tags are too prevalent and since they are deprecated they should be done away with.

I love the idea of your "Packages". That's fantastic. I'm going to ask you about how you go about composting and topdressing lawns. Instead of an image, I'd use a table so that it is readable by google.

I like the multiple ways to contact you and pay for services. That really makes good use of the site. I sent you a test contact request. I didn't receive a confirmation email. That may be something you want to do.

Basically, I like the site but there are some underlying things that I would change to not only make it load faster but make more sense to low-sited/blind. Remember the biggest internet user in the world is blind. That's Google and he can introduce you to a whole lot of friends.

mark123
01-16-2011, 07:42 PM
it says Email us!

See attachment.

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-16-2011, 07:45 PM
See attachment.

I see it now on my services page:D Changing it now:cool:

mark123
01-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Get rid of the styling in the head and the styling in the body is invalid and I'm not even sure it will be applied.Please explain a bit further
You should move the styling in the markup to an external file so that it is loaded once for all pages and cached instead of every time the pages are loaded.

There is also styling outside of the head that probably won't be recognized.

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-16-2011, 08:09 PM
You should move the styling in the markup to an external file so that it is loaded once for all pages and cached instead of every time the pages are loaded.

There is also styling outside of the head that probably won't be recognized.

I'll have to work on that in the near future, Thank you for the feedback help:D

Growing Green
01-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks Matt. It's what I did at my last job before I had it working for someone else. ;) Unfortunately, many times people take offense to what I say when it's not intended to be taken that way. I'm just saying what I'd do to make things better.

OK, the first thing I noticed is the pleasing color scheme. It seems to get broken by the bright red text concerning the gift cards on the right of the home page. Perhaps a more muted red would fit a bit better.

The layout is simple and I like it a lot, but looking at the underlying code it seems it is really unnecessarily heavy. That really doesn't mean a whole lot to the viewing public unless you make it so heavy that it actually slows down page loads. In my opinion every bit counts. In this case, it may be a non-issue.

Phone number at the top and in the page title! Fantastic! I'd put a zip code and a service area (your city perhaps) in the page title as well.

The list of services is laid out strangely to me. I'd put it in an unordered list using the UL and LI tags. Give it some semantic meaning.

There are not heading tags anywhere on the home page. Make use of at least H1 and H2.

Get rid of the &amp;nbsp; and FONT tags. Use CSS to do the styling and spacing work.

The About Us page is personable and friendly. I like it.

The Services page needs some better structure. I'm not a fan of dual columns on a web page. Reading a book you can easily go from the bottom of a column to the top of the next but on a web site you scroll down to the bottom of one column and then have to scroll up to start the next. It's not necessary in my opinion. The font tags are too prevalent and since they are deprecated they should be done away with.

I love the idea of your "Packages". That's fantastic. I'm going to ask you about how you go about composting and topdressing lawns. Instead of an image, I'd use a table so that it is readable by google.

I like the multiple ways to contact you and pay for services. That really makes good use of the site. I sent you a test contact request. I didn't receive a confirmation email. That may be something you want to do.

Basically, I like the site but there are some underlying things that I would change to not only make it load faster but make more sense to low-sited/blind. Remember the biggest internet user in the world is blind. That's Google and he can introduce you to a whole lot of friends.

Hi Mark,
You are the freakin' man! I really appreciate all your help and NO I do not take offense. :D I want good honest feedback. I'm going to work on some of these tomorrow. Some of these things I don't even know how to fix, but I'll do some research. :D

So what did you want to know about composting and top dressing?

Great idea on the auto-reply. I'll work on that as well. I thought about doing it, but I'm usually so fast on replying to emails that I said that I wouldn't do it.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes,
Matt