PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on service name?

Jack
01-09-2011, 06:18 PM
So I am having trouble coming up with a ending name. Like Landscaping, Lawn Care, Lawn Service, etc... The problem is that I would like to fall under the category of landscaping and lawn service but I don't plan on doing full out landscaping, just some plants, shrubs, tree, retaining walls, and sod. So what is a name that could be either? Besides landscaping? Would Lawn Service work?

CHEESE2009
01-09-2011, 06:58 PM
So I am having trouble coming up with a ending name. Like Landscaping, Lawn Care, Lawn Service, etc... The problem is that I would like to fall under the category of landscaping and lawn service but I don't plan on doing full out landscaping, just some plants, shrubs, tree, retaining walls, and sod. So what is a name that could be either? Besides landscaping? Would Lawn Service work?

Property Improvement

Yard Care

I use lawn service, and personally it may sound like a bad idea - but it's catchy!

When you make logos and write text, it goes together very sexy like

"LAWN SERVICE" those words just look fantastic together... I'm going to go get married to them, brb

Hedgemaster
01-09-2011, 10:01 PM

Ummm... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that... "landscaping"?

I don't know how it works everywhere, but as I understand it, there's a difference between landscapers and lawn care people. It's more than just the name - there's licensing and such that are required to do "landscaping" work, as opposed to "mowing lawns".

I struggled with this when deciding to register my business name. I decided on "Lawn Service".
"Landscaping" sounds nice, but I'm not offering landscaping services, so I don't think it's fair (and perhaps illegal?) to represent myself as such.
I chose the word "service", as it sounds like it covers more bases than "care". When I hear "Lawn Care", I think "mowing/fertilizing" - period. "Service" implies "many"... mowing, hedge trimming, weed control, flower beds, etc...

Hope that made sense.

Jack
01-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Ummm... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that... "landscaping"?

I don't know how it works everywhere, but as I understand it, there's a difference between landscapers and lawn care people. It's more than just the name - there's licensing and such that are required to do "landscaping" work, as opposed to "mowing lawns".

I struggled with this when deciding to register my business name. I decided on "Lawn Service".
"Landscaping" sounds nice, but I'm not offering landscaping services, so I don't think it's fair (and perhaps illegal?) to represent myself as such.
I chose the word "service", as it sounds like it covers more bases than "care". When I hear "Lawn Care", I think "mowing/fertilizing" - period. "Service" implies "many"... mowing, hedge trimming, weed control, flower beds, etc...

Hope that made sense.

I should have probablly explained myself a little more. I want to do SOME landscaping, but not nearly half of what landscaping companies do. So I don't want to make the impression that I can do stone work, patios, water features, sprinklers, and fences having the "landscaping" name.

I have been reading as much as I can online and from what I have found these are the requirments in CO for general lawn service, and landscaping (not including pesticides)
- Business Reg.
- Tax License (Not Sure)
- Nursery Registration (Not Sure)
Does this sound about right? Or is it much more in depth for you guys?

jymie
01-10-2011, 11:31 PM
I should have probablly explained myself a little more. I want to do SOME landscaping, but not nearly half of what landscaping companies do. So I don't want to make the impression that I can do stone work, patios, water features, sprinklers, and fences having the "landscaping" name.

I have been reading as much as I can online and from what I have found these are the requirments in CO for general lawn service, and landscaping (not including pesticides)
- Business Reg.
- Tax License (Not Sure)

Here in new York, I registered the business and the number I got is also the tax ID number, it may be the same in your state.

Hedgemaster
01-11-2011, 12:03 AM

- Business Reg.
- Tax License (Not Sure)

Ahhh... not sure what to tell you then. If you're going to use "landscaping" in your name, I guess you have to decide if you are willing to "explain" yourself when people want larger jobs done. I'll have to do that initially myself, as I'm not yet licensed to apply chemicals, so I'll have to explain that to people when they ask me to do that.

Steve
01-11-2011, 02:52 AM
That is a good point about the google keyword search tool. You should include a link to that.

What about using something like property care? I think a lot of times what happens early on is new business owners tend to limit the scope of their work with their business name. It is a lot easier to turn business down when they come calling you than it is to go out and find it.

So make sure you are giving yourself a wide enough berth to get all the jobs you want without prematurely turning people away, due to your name.

Another thing to keep in mind is, I don't think you need any licenses, regardless of your business name, unless you are actually performing services that require a license.

Jack
01-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Well I have made finally come up with a business name and a logo. Here is a business card that I just finished making, what do you guys think?
BTW, I have found ALOT of great info on this site. Thanks guys.

Growing Green
01-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Well I have made finally come up with a business name and a logo. Here is a business card that I just finished making, what do you guys think?
BTW, I have found ALOT of great info on this site. Thanks guys.

Jack, I think you did a great job. One thing I don't see on there is your website. Don't forget to add that.

Matt

Jack
01-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Jack, I think you did a great job. One thing I don't see on there is your website. Don't forget to add that.

Matt

I am on edge about if I will need a website or not. Will it really help me?

I modified the card a bit more, filled in some empty spaces. Its a bit blurry in the attachment.

jymie
01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes, absolutely do a website (http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com). Alot of people use the internet to do searches.

Jack
01-12-2011, 05:54 PM
So I am looking and the .com domain is already taken. Would it be safe to go with .net?
I just know alot of people will remember a name and always asume .com after it.

jymie
01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a .net that I use for a redirect to my website. http://www.lunchesrus.net

I use it alot in print ads and display ads so they dont have to type as much in to get to the site.

jymie
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
peak-property-care.com is available, just a thought....

TheGoat
01-12-2011, 10:00 PM
I am on edge about if I will need a website or not. Will it really help me?

I modified the card a bit more, filled in some empty spaces. Its a bit blurry in the attachment.

My lawn service (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com) website has been generating me new business all winter.

Steve
01-13-2011, 02:15 AM
Jack, you did a great job on your business card.

I would get a website too. It is cheap and a great way to legitimize your business in the eyes of your customers.

If you need some lawn care web templates (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34). There are some free ones here to help you get started.