PDA

View Full Version : New Video for my site

Upscale2
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/upscalelandcarellc?feature=mhum#p/f/1/tbg8rPhucYc

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbg8rPhucYc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbg8rPhucYc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Steve
01-09-2011, 01:52 PM
That is a fantastic job! When you were initially contacted for that job, did the customer have any idea on what they wanted or did you have to present them with a number of ideas before they chose this one?

Upscale2
01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
They had an idea of square footage desired and I shape, thats about it. I had to go in and measure for wall as the land sloped considerably. We drew up a plan and figured materials and costs for an estimate. I think, as I remember correctly, that it was 400sq. pavers and around 400sq on the retaining wall?? On this job I used Techo-bloc, but now use primarily Cambridge Pavers. Their specs and Armortec pavers are the best in the business, I think.

$18K for entire job, I think?? Without looking.

Growing Green
01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
How long did it take you to complete this project?

Matt

Upscale2
01-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Without looking at my notes, 10-15 work days/2guys start to finish.

Steve
01-12-2011, 02:13 AM
That is amazing!

What is your suggestion on how best to go into such an estimate, do you feel you need to ask the customer what they are looking to spend first or is it more important to know the size of the area they want first? Or maybe something else?

Upscale2
01-12-2011, 06:43 AM
That all comes out in the flow of the initial conversation. Some people let you know some people have now idea what the costs will be. So you just ask what they are hoping to spend and what they hope to accomplish in a design. Then go from there.

Hint: Always make sure the wife is involved in the conversation because they make the ultimate buying decision.

Steve
01-13-2011, 01:18 AM
I think a lot of newer business owners tend to have big difficulties in how the bid is presented.

For such jobs, do you suggest sitting there with the client and creating a hand drawing on the spot for them to see?

Then to you figure out how much material and calculate the amount of man hours you feel the job will take and present the customer with a bid right there on the spot?

Also, do you have any thoughts about leaving a design with a customer? Should you or should you not because it could allow them to more easily price shop a bid on the work you already put into the drawing?

Upscale2
01-13-2011, 12:14 PM
That is the best question I have had to respond to yet:

I will sometimes draw a sketch on site. So there aren't any questions on layout
In regards to giving a price on site, everyone asks a ballpark cost, but I don't give one. I usually tell them that I have to get prices. Furthermore when you are looking at Pavers there are so many different varieties with many different costs.

I bring a case with samples, poly sand colors, a piece of snap edge and a Cambridge catalog. Try to get as much info. as possible on what Paver they like and then go from there. Get square footage, layout of property, how much base and fill will be needed and then go to work on a price.

Call them back within 2 days or less. Send a card thanking them for their time, (this builds loyalty) and then get back in front of them.

I have a lifetime, transferable guarantee on my work. If it fails, I fix it.

Steve
01-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Call them back within 2 days or less. Send a card thanking them for their time, (this builds loyalty) and then get back in front of them.

So would you suggest getting them a price on the job within 2 days? When you say call them back, should the price be given over the phone or in person?

How many days after they get the bid, do you suggest sending out a thank you card?

Also, I think a lot of times, when a bid fails, it has a bit to do with having no follow up. What's your view on the best way to follow up on a bid to hear what the customer is thinking? Or should this all be done when you are presenting the bid to the customer and try to get them to sign on right then and there?