PDA

View Full Version : Feedback please

dcmowing
01-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Hey everyone. I would like to get some feedback on my new web site.

http://dcmowing.com

Thanks

Hedgemaster
01-07-2011, 01:36 AM
It's a bit on the "blah" side for me. The colors are "depressing"... maybe something a bit more vibrant would help.

The word "Mowing" that should be in the header is showing up below the black line - "floating" on top of "home" and "about us". (Does it appear that way for anyone else?)

The phone number is shown twice, but in a different font, AND style. One has dashes" and the other has "dots". Stick with one or the other.
Personally, I'm a big hater of the "dots". I don't know who thought that it would be "trendy" to do phone numbers "European style", but I'd like to punch them in the... (ahem) sorry, ummm... what was I saying?

:D

I like the "guarantee" you have listed, and the "coupon" isn't a bad idea either.
Sorry I didn't look at the rest of the site... gotta hit the bed. I'll check it out again later.

:)

dcmowing
01-07-2011, 03:00 AM
I was going for clean, simple, and easy to navigate. Thanks for the feedback

Steve
01-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I think your site is good, solid, and functional. It should serve you well.

As you reflect on it now, do you have future plans for it?

dcmowing
01-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I would like to have some links and online bill pay in the future. I will wait and see what type of response I get from my current/ new customers and make adjustments accordingly.

Thanks for the feedback

mark123
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
It looks like you used some absolute positioning improperly. The text spills out of its container in certain places. I'd say the template needs some work.

dcmowing
01-07-2011, 10:49 PM
What a nice site Mark. Did you do that yourself? The only view I get is from my computer, and everything looks fine? Any suggestions?

mark123
01-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I programmed the entire site, including the content management system.

I'm going to attach some screen shots of your site to show what I mean. Tell me if you can't view them.

Ooh, it looks like you're doing some keyword stuffing. That'll get you penalized on google.

Hedgemaster
01-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I programmed the entire site, including the content management system.

I'm going to attach some screen shots of your site to show what I mean. Tell me if you can't view them.

Ooh, it looks like you're doing some keyword stuffing. That'll get you penalized on google.

Freaky. I just went and looked at his site, and it doesn't look the same for me as it does in your screen shot.
In your screen shot, "DC Mowing" is a bold, sans serif font (like Helvetica), but when I view it, the same text shows as a serif font (like Times Roman).
And the text that your screen shot is showing out of place, is not the same as when I'm looking at it.

(posted 30 mins after you posted, btw)

The Cleaning Doctor
01-07-2011, 11:34 PM
It might help if you all post what browser you are using to view the site with. They do not all show up the same. PITA for designers.

Death to IE.:rolleyes:

Hedgemaster
01-08-2011, 12:22 AM
It might help if you all post what browser you are using to view the site with. They do not all show up the same. PITA for designers.

Death to IE.:rolleyes:

Firefox (2.0.0.20)

I'm on an old Mac with a fairly outdated OSX 10.3.9

Maybe it's just me.

Yard Elements
01-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Webpage is OK.

As far as the browers go, you simply need to download most of them and cross browser check your site, all designers do this. I would not try to code HTML or XHTML unless you have too, most templates are not that great either.

Get Dreamweaver, and Photoshop, and Illustrator.

Use illustrator for Vector art that you need to blow up, business cards, vinyl etc.

Use dreamweaver and draw absolute Dive tags and edit the images. It's so easy and is pretty close on all browsers.

Use photoshop to edit your images.

I also didn't really like the lawn mower, picture with the faces. You can also use illustrator to draw a webpage then export to html.

Boughter you site is pretty fresh. :) Nice job on the background graphics.

I personally don't like to call my company "lawn care" or "mowing" because people assume that that is all that you do this may limit the services they call you for. My company name is "landscape Services" and some people find it strange that I clean gutters etc. just people are SLOW :)

Yard Elements
01-08-2011, 07:42 PM
The reason i said the page was OK was because I feel that a "unprofessional" webpage can actually be a bad thing. Not that yours is horrible just saying in general, a bad webpage is worse than no webpage. I feel the same about signs. I sometimes see crappy spray painted signs, to me all that says is my company is broken. :)

mark123
01-08-2011, 08:29 PM
... Use dreamweaver and draw absolute Dive tags and edit the images. It's so easy and is pretty close on all browsers. ...

I'd advise against using absolute positioning on major page elements. There are so many gotchas with absolute positioning that I'd just say don't use it at all.

mark123
01-08-2011, 09:03 PM
The reason i said the page was OK was because I feel that a "unprofessional" webpage can actually be a bad thing. Not that yours is horrible just saying in general, a bad webpage is worse than no webpage. I feel the same about signs. I sometimes see crappy spray painted signs, to me all that says is my company is broken. :)
It's a good point. I always say "having a poorly designed web site is like handing someone a dirty and torn business card".

Yard Elements
01-09-2011, 12:13 AM
I've made lots of webpages with AP Div tags and never had an issue in dreamweaver what issues have you had.

mark123
01-09-2011, 12:14 AM
I've made lots of webpages with AP Div tags and never had an issue in dreamweaver what issues have you had.
Show me one of your pages and I'll show you is something is wrong with position:absolute;. It's rarely necessary and usually detrimental.

Yard Elements
01-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Also mark how did you get you pics that pop up all nice like that when you click on them? thats great. Any suggestion on tags and coding? I am starting my site in the next week or so. thanks !

mark123
01-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Also mark how did you get you pics that pop up all nice like that when you click on them? thats great. Any suggestion on tags and coding? I am starting my site in the next week or so. thanks !
Google around for "lightbox". That's the old version so you'll probably want to look for a jQuery plugin that does something similar.

Here are a few tips for beginners: http://imaginekitty.com/steps-to-building-a-proper-web-page/

mark123
01-22-2011, 09:42 AM

I wanted to bring this topic back up and perhaps offer a few more tips. My point of not using absolute positioning unless you know what you're doing (and if you did know what you're doing you wouldn't use it ;)) brings up another issue. Every time I point it out everyone says "well, it looks fine on my computer". I say that's fine if you are making a web site for yourself. I make my sites for the viewer, not for myself.

You just can't assume that everyone has your browser or even your browser settings, even if you have default settings. You also can't assume that everyone can see or hear as you do.

I find that the use of absolute positioning on web pages shows a little bit of "control freak". You want to control what the end user sees but that's not what web pages are about. Let go a little bit and give the end user the choice of manipulating the pages to their own comfort level. Don't force them into your mold.

Also, in the name of all that is Holy, don't make me listen to music on your site. The default option for background sounds is OFF and the default option for videos is PAUSED. Let me choose if I want thrash metal blasting through my speakers at 2 am. Thanks.

Yard Elements
01-23-2011, 11:33 AM
IS that the only reason you say not to use AP div tags. I do it because i can simply draw a website. I took some design in college and some HTML but I know little CSS. So I draw and add pictures. I have noticed that they don't validate when drawn in Dreamweaver. I also make the site for the viewer but I hate coding and don't want to pay someone to make a webpage for me. :)

I will agree your webpage is one of the best I've seen. :)

I agree about the music and videos I hate when they start playing and blare out of my speakers.

mark123
01-23-2011, 03:11 PM
IS that the only reason you say not to use AP div tags. ...
It's a pretty compelling reason but no, it's not the only reason. Removing main content from the normal document flow and having no good reason to do it are some other reasons. So far there has been no valid argument for doing it. Not learning a correct technique is not a valid argument in my opinion.

Your statement about not wanting to pay for someone to code your site is somewhat valid considering a lot of "pros" out there are simply people that happen to own dreamweaver. The field is saturated with people that would do a terrible job and still be happy to take your cash. My first step in picking a web design firm is to go to their site and run it through the w3 validator (http://validator.w3.org). If it fails then pass on their services.

mark123
01-23-2011, 03:36 PM
... I agree about the music and videos I hate when they start playing and blare out of my speakers.
You ain't kidding. It seriously happened to me. Someone was touting their new business site on a forum and I checked it out one night when I couldn't sleep. THRASH METAL!!!! at 2am. It's just intrusive. Blah!

Yard Elements
01-24-2011, 12:11 AM
So far there has been no valid argument for doing it. Not learning a correct technique is not a valid argument in my opinion.

A valid reason, it's fast, easy and I can make it look good quick. I'm busy time is money. Spending time learning to code websites is not a valid use of my time. :)

seriouly whats your deal with coding. LOL If it look good does it really matter?

mark123
01-24-2011, 08:21 AM
A valid reason, it's fast, easy and I can make it look good quick. I'm busy time is money. Spending time learning to code websites is not a valid use of my time. :) Well, if its the wrong way to do it shouldn't I mention it to those that don't know better? It's helping, not insulting. You did ask for feedback, right?

seriouly whats your deal with coding.It's what I do. I'm giving a professional opinion.

LOL If it look good does it really matter?That's like saying "if I paint my grass green and kill it but it looks good, does it really matter?" My philosophy on web coding may differ from yours but it's been developed over the past 14 years. Don't my screen shots show that absolute positioning can do harm to your site?

Yard Elements
01-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Well, if its the wrong way to do it shouldn't I mention it to those that don't know better? It's helping, not insulting. You did ask for feedback, right?

I'm not upset at all. :) It's hard to tell from the text only

It's what I do. I'm giving a professional opinion.

I thought you did lawn care, do you sell webdesign too?LOL

That's like saying "if I paint my grass green and kill it but it looks good, does it really matter?" My philosophy on web coding may differ from yours but it's been developed over the past 14 years. Don't my screen shots show that absolute positioning can do harm to your site?

I didn't see your screen shots. But I did see on some news stations the new thing in hot climates is to paint your dead grass green some lawn care cares offer the service. NO JOKE they really do. LMAO

Oh yeah, I don't have a philosophy on web coding, I'm a landscaper LOL.

I was thinking about learning a little to make my site. But I just want to build my site, I don't want to spend a year learning to code webpages. So I will probably paint the grass green so to speak.

Like the saying goes when life gives you lemons you paint that $hit gold. :)

mark123
01-25-2011, 12:23 PM
I just discovered that they use a colorant (ahem? paint) on the NFL football fields. I'm so disillusioned! http://www.beckerunderwood.com/en/products/GL1home
:( Oh, well.

If I can help you or others do one thing better then I feel accomplished. :)

WeedTerminatorTom
01-29-2012, 12:56 AM
I like the symmetry and simplicity, and think maybe you were going for a subtle, professional impression with the color scheme. As a layman, I can't see any imbalances, but maybe the site would show up differently on different computers/browsers. Great website!