PDA

View Full Version : Hello from PA

fullblast
01-06-2011, 06:50 AM
I found your site here and decided to join because I am always looking for new ideas. I have been in the power washing industry since 2001 when I fist started my own company. So we are excited celebrating our 1th year this year!!!

I have looked around here a little and it looks like there is a lot of good info here.

2011...it's going to be a good year!!!!!!!!

Steve
01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi Jay,

Welcome to our forum!

You have been in business for quite some time! I am sure you have seen many businesses fail along the way.

What is your view on why so many start ups fail in the power washing industry?

Are there 5 top lessons you learned along the way that have kept you going that others never learned?

fullblast
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
You can't stay in business if you don't charge enough to operate.

And Perseverance goes a long way too!!

Most of the small power washing guys are just like small lawn mowing guys, they jump into it because of the low start up cost, but have no idea how to operate a business.

They may have great service but they don't know how to market it, or they don't charge enough for it, and they ruin themselves and it cheapens the industry.

The Cleaning Doctor
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Welcome Jay. Good to see you here.

Steve
01-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Jay,

Do you feel you knew early on how to price or were there a few situations you found yourself in where you underbid the job and after such a learning experience you began to bid higher?

And Perseverance goes a long way too!!

Reflecting back do you have any stories how your perseverance helped you push forwards where others might have given up?

fullblast
01-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Yes I must say I did bid some jobs to cheap, and ocasionally I still do, but not intentionally.

What I mean by undercharging is when someone knows they are barely making money but they keep biding low just to steal the jobs from you.

Not really anyone time that I remember, but there were a few times whenyou had a bad day you felt like throwing up your hands and saying forget it.

Hedgemaster
01-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Hello from Western PA!

I don't know much about pressure washing, but I do have one. Bought it several years ago to strip my deck in preparation for some new stain. Troy Bilt/Honda engine (from Home Depot) - 2800 PSI I believe. I've never used it for anything else.
Do you think it's something I could use next season to make a buck or two (as an additional service) if a lawn care client mentions needing pressure washing done? I'm not sure it's powerful enough for a lot of tasks, but since you do that for a living, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

fullblast
01-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Hello Hedgemaster.

To me I would say thats probley a little on the small side, not really because of the pressure but I am taking a guess that it is only about a 2-3gpm machine, so it will be a slow in rinsing, and also not able to reach heights that you would need too.

With that beng said you could possibly just stick to sidewalks and driveways.

Volume is king.

Steve
01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Yes I must say I did bid some jobs to cheap, and ocasionally I still do, but not intentionally.

Do you have any suggestions for others when it comes to creating a proper power washing bid? Are there any standards in pricing that you suggest be followed?

fullblast
01-10-2011, 06:46 AM
I guess the first thing is to treat it like a professional industry. Have the property documents that you need to operate the business, the proper equipment to do the work, and then charge to make a profit.

So many are just starting to make a quick buck and all it does is cheapens the industry.

Steve
01-11-2011, 02:04 AM
They may have great service but they don't know how to market it

What's your view on the marketing side of things. Have you seen competitors market themselves where you just knew they were making mistakes? If so, what should others not do when they are marketing their power washing services?

fullblast
01-12-2011, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't say that they market in the wrong places, but rather a lack of marketing.

Steve
01-13-2011, 01:22 AM
In the lawn care industry, a lot of success is found when going door to door to get residential customers.

Do you feel this is an effective marketing tool to get power washing customers or do you feel money and time is better spent on other marketing avenues?