PDA

View Full Version : Does he have a point?

Steve
12-07-2006, 09:05 AM
After reading this, I thought he certainly had a good point. What's your view? Does it seem crazy to you that a company who exposes their employees to such chemicals, is concerned about smoking?

Where there's smoke, there's fired (http://www2.townonline.com/bourne/opinion/view.bg?articleid=628753) - Arsenic, lead, mercury, nickel, cadmium - Scott Rodrigues was exposed to this nasty combination of carcinogens, toxins and health-compromising metals daily. They were found in the fertilizer he spread on Cape Cod lawns when he was working for Scotts Lawn Service.
Rodrigues said that working with those materials concerned him.
"It most certainly did," he said. "I came in with so many different layers of clothing because I didn't want to get it on me. It's cancerous material."
Contact with those elements, as well as a host of other equally insidious chemicals contained in fertilizers and weed, killers he handled, was OK with Rodrigues' employer. But not when he took some of those same toxic elements into his systems with the cigarettes he smoked. On his 30th birthday, he was fired for smoking - off-the-job. The reason given was that he violated a company policy, forbidding employees to smoke anywhere, anytime.