PDA

View Full Version : new guy

tconick
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Just joined. Looking at starting a lawn care business in 2 years when I retire from Boeing. Nothing real strenuous, just a fulltime mowing, trimming, putting down pine straw and some hedge trimming. Thislooked like a good site to get contract forms and advice on types or brand names of good used equipment. I will be in a retirement community in S. Carolina and looks like there is a need for a competitive contractor.

Steve
01-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Welcome to our forum!

You certainly are getting a jump start on your business plan! Do you feel the years you worked at Boeing are helping you now in your business planning stage?

tconick
01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Most definately. I am putting my degree in Bus. Mngmt. to work for myself. I spent 2 yrs in Mngmt and went back to the union side to collect my health care benefits before retirement. The Company side receives no health care for retirement. I was really frustrated with others taking credit for the fruits of your labor as well and know I can put the desire into my own business to reap all the rewards and of course any setbacks. The main thing to remember is a customer is easier to retain than get new ones, however, there are still certain ones you do not need. Refferals are your greatest asset and if others are going to recommend you that says alot provided they are not family. Too many Corprorations preach ethics, quality and respect when they are just providing lip service and spreading good PR. If the customer is truly happy he will tell you and if the customer isn't talking then he is looking elswhere. Simple as that.

Steve
01-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Very interesting!

however, there are still certain ones you do not need.

What is your view on the best way to determine which customers you do not need?

Also, do you have thoughts on the best way to get referrals?