PDA

View Full Version : Mulch vs side discharge

jesseboy512
01-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I am curious which one makes a lawn look better and which one business owners prefer???:)

mark123
01-04-2011, 10:13 PM
What kind of grass are you cutting?

jesseboy512
01-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Just natural grass nothing artificial??? What is best for different grasses. Just curious . thanks

racerdude711
01-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Here in Nebraska, most grass is Kentucky Bluegrass or a type of fescue. I always mulch. I've heard that mulching is actually better for the lawn because it lets the old grass clippings breakdown on the lawn, and therefore all the leftover nutrients, (nitrogen) gets fed into the existing grass. The only time I bag is when the grass is real tall and it's getting cut short. The only reason I would bag it is just to prevent clumping.

Growing Green
01-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Here in Nebraska, most grass is Kentucky Bluegrass or a type of fescue. I always mulch. I've heard that mulching is actually better for the lawn because it lets the old grass clippings breakdown on the lawn, and therefore all the leftover nutrients, (nitrogen) gets fed into the existing grass. The only time I bag is when the grass is real tall and it's getting cut short. The only reason I would bag it is just to prevent clumping.

I do the same thing for the exact reason as Racer.

Matt

mark123
01-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Just natural grass nothing artificial??? ...
I mean what species of grass or at least tell me your general location.

General rule mulching is best but it's not usually practical, especially if you get 9" of growth in 7 days like some of the lawns around here. I side discharge and do not use a mulch kit on my mower. I do not bag unless it's 100% necessary. Still, it depends on your lawns and if you mind going over them a second or third time to make them look nice.

Why is this in the Photo Gallery?

Local Edge Lawn Care
01-05-2011, 12:04 PM
We never mulch cause you cant cut as fast and if the conditions arent perfect it takes for ever and it doesnt look the best. We side shoot it all cause it does much it somewhat cause it cuts it at least 3 times and it can be a little longer even a bit wet and its just fine without leaving clumps.. But maybe the lawn care in salt lake city utah (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) might be completely different then you guys?

Justin

lawn care salt lake city utah (http://www.localedgelawncare.com)

mark123
01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
We never mulch cause you cant cut as fast and if the conditions arent perfect it takes for ever and it doesnt look the best. We side shoot it all cause it does much it somewhat cause it cuts it at least 3 times and it can be a little longer even a bit wet and its just fine without leaving clumps.. But maybe the lawn care in salt lake city utah might be completely different then you guys?
That's pretty much the same view I have.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
I use the mulch plate for normal growth. But anything more than that we have to side discharge. I dont like side discharge cause you have to go over it a million times. But it probably what comes down to what is going to work best for your type of grass.