PDA

View Full Version : Fertilization

Grasskickin
01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
How much of a profit is there in going all out and getting my fertilization license with my lawn care bussines? thanks Grass Kickin'

mark123
01-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Probably 10 or maybe 16.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
01-04-2011, 09:19 PM
15% for granular and closer to 20-25% for liquid depends on area probably

Steve
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
How do you feel the % profit on fert applications compares/contrasts with mowing or other services?

mark123
01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
How do you feel the % profit on fert applications compares/contrasts with mowing or other services?
The most you can do mowing is around $300/day per person and that's a rough day. You can do a $1000 day working from 7am to 1pm taking it easy.
Rough estimates with everything else (insurance, truck fuel) being equal:
Mowing $300 - $30 mower gas - $10 maintenance = $260
Fertilizing $1000 - $280 fertilizer - $20 weed control = $700 (priced for granular fertilizer)

Of course unless you have 600 customers you're not going to get full days of fertilizing every day.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
01-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Of course unless you have 600 customers you're not going to get full days of fertilizing every day.

Wouldnt that be nice...

mark123
01-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Wouldnt that be nice...
I used to work for a local guy that has about 800 customers. Nearly every week offered overtime. Some day I'd like to get to around 300 customers and I'll probably be happy. :)

Steve
01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
What is your view on how they got so many customers?

How many times a season can you apply a fertilization product per customer? Are there any upsells you suggest going with to extend the amount of times you can visit a fertilization customer?

mark123
01-06-2011, 06:29 PM
What is your view on how they got so many customers?
I think he stole some lawns from his previous employer and beyond that slow and deliberate customer base building. He started off mowing solo, got a few guys, moved to landscaping while scaling back on the mowing and then phased out the landscaping when the fertilizing customer base grew big enough. I worked for him for 9 years through all of those steps.

How many times a season can you apply a fertilization product per customer? Anywhere from 1 to 5 with 4 being the normal package. Spring, early summer, late summer and autumn. The fifth is a winterizer.

Are there any upsells you suggest going with to extend the amount of times you can visit a fertilization customer? Upsells: insect preventative/curative, core aeration, overseeding, soil analysis. If you're using synthetic fertilizer you will be messing up the pH of the soil so you'll be able to sell lime.

jymie
01-07-2011, 12:23 AM
How did you get involved in being able to do fertilization? I guess I am asking about lisesing etc, is it needed?

mark123
01-07-2011, 04:44 AM
How did you get involved in being able to do fertilization? I guess I am asking about lisesing etc, is it needed?
It's different in every state. New York being one of the more restrictive states. Your best bet is to contact your local county extension office to ask what is needed.

In my state I need a sales tax license, a pesticide applicator certification (testing and continuing credits required), pesticide business license (gives me my "BU" number) and insurance stating that pesticide application is covered.

It's a lot of work and the licensing is a real hassle. Count your costs and see if it's worth it to you.

Steve
01-07-2011, 06:12 PM
It's a lot of work and the licensing is a real hassle. Count your costs and see if it's worth it to you.

What is your view on how much more a lawn care business owner will have to pay in order to be able to start offering fertilization services?

mark123
01-07-2011, 06:17 PM
What is your view on how much more a lawn care business owner will have to pay in order to be able to start offering fertilization services?
A broadcast spreader costs about $500. A spray rig will run you anywhere from $1300 - $4000 (bells and whistles/time savers/product savers). You need a heavy duty truck to carry at least 200 gallons of liquid and half a ton of fertilizer. You'll want at least something like a GMC 2500 but a 3500 is much better.