PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for company

ataboyj
01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Whats a good insurance for a small lawn care company/landscaping company? Where would I find one? You need like a million coverage right, and what the avg cost of Insurance, I have been hearing about 800 dollars a month? Let me know what you guys think thanks

Hedgemaster
01-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Ummm... I had a quote of $167 a YEAR for 1 million coverage. (basic coverage from some unheard of company)

I'll add more later - gotta run

bradsnipes
01-03-2011, 10:40 AM
$800 per month would be outrageous !! I have 1 million in coverage and i pay around $340 per year through PALMETTO INSURANCE. Im in the south so not sure if they exist everywhere?? Check with Cincinatti insurance as well. They had good rates too when i bought my policy. Alot of times your car insurance company will write you a special policy as well. I know Allstate will write lawncare/landscaping policies. Hope this helps ??
Brad w/ LAWNWORKS IN SOUTH CAROLINA

Hedgemaster
01-03-2011, 11:34 AM
^^^ Heh. I've used Allstate for over 15 years (auto) and when I contacted my agent he told me that they don't write business policies - they "subcontract it" through someone else. He did give me a quote, but it was a bit high. (He even told me that I could do better elsewhere)

That said, almost all the big names do commercial insurance policies, so open the phone book and make a few calls. Note that many agents will do a search for the best rates out of hundreds of companies that many of us have never heard of - it's just the way it works.

Some won't ask you for much more than your name, and some will get very detailed as far as wanting to know specifics about your business/type of work.
I was less than impressed with anyone who simply gave me a dollar amount without asking questions. Those who asked me specific questions about my business seemed to be wanting to be certain that everyone was "on the same page" in terms of writing a policy that gives you the coverage you actually need.
While discussing things, the agent I ultimately went with (Erie) gave me examples of coverage situations that she and her lawn care clients have encountered - this first-hand knowledge was more important to me than saving $75/year - I chose someone who offered good coverage, while knowing the product they are selling and are able to assist when an issue arises.

The Cleaning Doctor
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Try Zander insurance out of Nashville. I think they write nationwide.

www.zanderins.com

ataboyj
01-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah I thought someone told me that it would cost 800 a month and thats why I didn't want to get it because I wouldn't be making much money. I guess now if i can get it for 800 a year or less then I would definitely get it. What other things should I want out of the Insurance beside a million dollars coverage? And will get cost me alot more since am only 21? Thanks for the info everyone

Hedgemaster
01-03-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm new to this, so there may be things I'm overlooking, but the most common "add on" is equipment/tool coverage to insure your stuff should it be stolen/damaged on the job.

Note that I say "on the job" - when asking my many questions, I inquired about theft of equipment from my property (like while I'm asleep at night), and was informed that it would typically be covered under homeowner's insurance, but I could add that type of coverage for $50/year to my commercial policy.

Maybe other policies cover theft from your own property - I dunno.

picframer
01-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I pay $134 a month, 2 million liability, includes all my equipment which is around $400,000, $500.00 deductible

Growing Green
01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Try Zander insurance out of Nashville. I think they write nationwide.

www.zanderins.com

Oh my main man Dave Ramsey is a huge fan of Zander. I use Zander insurance for identity theft insurance. Been happy with them. Haven't even thought of calling them for Lawn Care.

Matt

Growing Green
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I pay $134 a month, 2 million liability, includes all my equipment which is around $400,000, $500.00 deductible

Who do you use Andy? Is it a Canadian company?

Matt

shahoo80
01-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I have American Family, 385.00 per year for a million dollar coverage and adding 20,000 for equipment. 500 deductible.

The equipment is covered no matter where it's at or what's it doing. I choose to let the commercial insurance cover the equipment cover the equipment even at home in the garage because my homeowners add on was way too much and only gave depreciated value not replacement cost.

picframer
01-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Who do you use Andy? Is it a Canadian company?

Matt

I have to use a Canadian Insurance Broker however I believe the underwriter is American Owned, Dominion Underwriters Group.

ataboyj
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I tried Zander they are on in Tn at least there business part

ataboyj
01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
What some other Insurance compaines that would be good to try??

Steve
01-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Has anyone been burned by their insurance company and now they find themselves more picky when it comes to choosing insurance? If so, what should you be concerned with when you consider an insurance company?

DillonB92
01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I got onto zander to get a quote i filled out the form. They didn't ask many questions and sent me a quote. It was like 323 premium or 292 if paid in full. Has anyone used Zander for Commerical?

The Cleaning Doctor
01-06-2011, 01:21 AM
I have in the past. They are not an insurance company but rather an independent insurance agent so I would be asking who the underwriter is.

ataboyj
01-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I got a quote today for 945 a year and has 500,00 coverage? It is from a guy who I trust and know, but what are some other compaines that everyone uses for lawncare insurance?

Hedgemaster
01-17-2011, 02:33 PM
I got a quote today for 945 a year and has 500,00 coverage? It is from a guy who I trust and know, but what are some other compaines that everyone uses for lawncare insurance?

That sounds insanely high, but I don't know if your policy covers things that mine doesn't. There are a lot of variables.

Phone books and quotes are free. Take advantage of that.

Nothing wrong with asking here, but it always seems like people are afraid to pick up the phone and start calling agents.

Growing Green
01-17-2011, 03:47 PM
I just got a quote from Greater Texas Insurance (they went through Allied - not sure if they are all through US) and they gave me a price of $350 for 500k with 1 million aggragate. I would defintely keep searching as that is to high.

Matt