PDA

View Full Version : Snow Blowers

brian'slawncare
01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
hey guys, in the market for a snow blower. Wondering which ones you recommended.....also what do you think of this..

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188691000P?mv=rr&i_cntr=1293924464249

bruces
01-01-2011, 09:49 PM
what are you planning on doing with the blower [personel use or doing customers ] ?how much snow do you normally get ? the blower you are showing isnt very powerfull and if your going to use it a lot you probably would be better off buying something larger .

Hedgemaster
01-01-2011, 10:19 PM
That's the one I bought. Still haven't used it other than a test run in the yard.
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=12655

Kind of usage is definitely a consideration. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have picked up a less expensive single stage unit that would work fine on the majority of the snow we get here. As I understand it, the single stage throwers clear the snow down to the pavement/walkway, but the two stage throwers can't get that close.
A single stage is much lighter as well - some can be picked up and carried up steps to make walkway clearing easier.
We don't get the massive amounts of snow that the two stage is geared towards. Around here, it's a crap shoot when it comes to predicting snowfall amounts.

That price is about as good as it will get during the season. Mine was on sale for less, but at the time, the salesman said that it was not going to go on sale again that low during the season.

I see the MTD Pro 28" model is on sale for the same price.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188771000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

No power steering, but has a slightly larger engine and wider clearing path. (and a headlight)

Good luck with your decision! Sorry I can't give an opinion on that thing yet - lots of COLD here, but little in the way of accumulation.

mark123
01-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I use a single stage for everything around here. No trailering or ramps, just lift it off the back of the truck and throw some snow.

brian'slawncare
01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
well, I plan to be using this for at 4 driveways this year. they are not huge but decent. I don't think I would need a bigger one because I really don't want to spend a lot(unless theres a cheap one out there).However, I want one that will not choke on snow and will be able to handle some wet snow(I get a lot). Also, I big factor is the throwing distance....

wellbiz
01-02-2011, 12:12 PM
I use a Toro 210R for my accounts. Cant say enough good things about it. Used it in wet and dry snow and it throws a good distance. It is light and easy to get in and out of the back of my truck. Pretty good on fuel also. I have a dual stage but only bring it out for really big snowfalls or to clear the end of a driveway after the city plows the street.

mark123
01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
I use a Toro 210R for my accounts. Cant say enough good things about it. Used it in wet and dry snow and it throws a good distance. It is light and easy to get in and out of the back of my truck. Pretty good on fuel also. I have a dual stage but only bring it out for really big snowfalls or to clear the end of a driveway after the city plows the street.
I have a nice Honda 4-stroke single stage. Throws the snow about 20 feet and is easy to lift and maneuver. I also have an old Craftsman 2-stroke that I bring with me in case something goes wrong with the Honda. I think it may throw a bit farther than the Honda but it's LOUD! I can't stand to run it for more than 15 minutes. ;)

brian'slawncare
01-04-2011, 03:01 PM
thanks guys. ill try to keep you posted on what happens....