PDA

View Full Version : Trimmers

DillonB92
12-31-2010, 01:12 AM
I am in the market for a new trimmer. Commercial Grade preferably. I decided to take my Husqvarna 128 and make it my edger. Does anyone know if you can use other brand attachments on the husqvarna? What Trimmers are you guys using? I was looking at another Husqvarna because i haven't had the first problem with any of the three Husqvarna equipment i own. Then i went around the corner in the store and they had Echo. They seemed pretty good and ihave heard great things about those. After that store i went to our Small Engine store where they had Shindowa Redmax and Stihl. Haven't heard much about the first two atleast trimmer wise. Stihl i have heard a lot about. What do you all think>?

TheGoat
12-31-2010, 01:38 AM
I have a Husq trimmer and I love it. I have heard echo's were good but have gotten a little sketchy.

as far as heads, when I replaced mine it came with a handful of adapter nuts to hook it up to other brands. I imagine most other brands would do the same, but I have no first hand exp..

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-31-2010, 02:15 AM
Stihl 90R been working great for me. Has a few different attachments available for it.

DillonB92
12-31-2010, 01:48 PM
What Model Husqvarna trimmer do you have goat?
Mountainview do you have any other trimmer without attachments?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
01-01-2011, 01:11 AM
well I dont have any of the attachments that go with it. But they are available. Not as many as the Kombi system though. Only other trimmer I had was a stihl FS76 witch didnt last long cause the motor siezed. October is transition month for us in AZ and the weed eaters take a massive beating. So it didnt last long.

I would suggest giving the stihl a closer look the "4 mix" technology isnt hype at all. Its a much better system than the older models.

TheGoat
01-01-2011, 09:28 AM
What Model Husqvarna trimmer do you have goat?
Mountainview do you have any other trimmer without attachments?

I use the 223L for my lawn service (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com).

DillonB92
01-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I'll Check out the Stihl Kombi System. Is it a Commercial grade trimmer? Goat that was the trimmer that i was looking at. Thanks!

MountainViewGreenskeeper
01-01-2011, 04:35 PM
It is commercial but just the power head no attachments is same price as the same size motor weed eater. But over the long run after you buy all the attachments is where you save your money plus you save the upkeep of having all the different motors.

The 90R what I run has gear box attachments. Witch limits whats available for it.

It really comes down to what you need out of it. And if you really need the other attachments available in the Kombi system.

Hope any of that helps

jasonw
01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
When my old weed eater trimmer died I got a 4 stroke Troybilt trimmer, cultivator, brush cutter, pole saw attachments. So far its going into its 3rd season with no problems at all, just have to remember to change the oil.

Hedgemaster
01-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Stihl 90R been working great for me. Has a few different attachments available for it.

That's what I bought after a lot of input here and from the dealer.
It allows for many of the same types of attachments to be used - just connected to the end, rather than in mid-shaft.

One thing that someone mentioned when I was dead set on buying the KombiSystem was that if you are using it for several purposes and have no "backup" - what happens when the engine quits on you? You're out all the tools, rather than just one.

Just something to consider. I'll eventually look into a KombiSystem as well.

JL ProCut
01-01-2011, 09:38 PM
buy what your local supplier sells and services,
so you can get parts and service ASAP in the event of something failing.
you will be glad you did.

DillonB92
01-02-2011, 10:05 PM
I have a Husqvarna dealer about 15 minutes from my house then a stihl, Shindowa and Redmax dealer about 10 minutes in the other direction

JL ProCut
01-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I have a Husqvarna dealer about 15 minutes from my house then a stihl, Shindowa and Redmax dealer about 10 minutes in the other direction

you are lucky

husky now owns redmax so they will be about the same units

can't really go wrong with any of those choices you listed.

I got one of the new 4 mix stihl stick edgers and I am happy with it so far

ofd4450
01-07-2011, 03:15 PM
When my old weed eater trimmer died I got a 4 stroke Troybilt trimmer, cultivator, brush cutter, pole saw attachments. So far its going into its 3rd season with no problems at all, just have to remember to change the oil.

I have a TroyBilt 4 stroke also, and have had no problems with it at all. I'm hoping to get some accessories for it too

jasonw
01-08-2011, 12:28 AM
I have a TroyBilt 4 stroke also, and have had no problems with it at all. I'm hoping to get some accessories for it too

I love it. its so sweet being able to just change from a trimmer to a pole saw or tiller then back again.

hotwired
01-09-2011, 05:22 AM
My two cents:
Because I'm in rural maine, there aren't that many choices but here's what I've found for trimmers:

1. Shindaiwa USED to be the best, hands down, but have degraded severely. They have followed most large company's formula: Once the perfect product has been created, and selling well, discontinue it and offer a new "improved" version that has less power, breaks down easier, etc. Now they've been bought out by the company that makes what I believe is one of the LEAST desirable trimmers to own: ECHO (that concludes my whining)

2. We took a chance 3 years ago, after realizing Shindaiwa was no longer much of an option, on Stihl. I bought a STIHL FS90R and found it to be the best trimmer I've EVER used. It comes close to the Shindaiwa T-230 that I owned 17 years ago. They are quiet, start easy (I can walk up to my trimmer rack, set the choke, lightly tug on the starter cord, and often it will start on first pull) - Once you get hte hang of stringing the heads, you'll find them pretty easy. My next purchase will be the split shaft version.

ofd4450
01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I love it. its so sweet being able to just change from a trimmer to a pole saw or tiller then back again.

Yeah. I am hoping to get a pole saw. How well does the tiller work? I live in NY and we have a huge amount of rocks in the dirt here, and I'm not sure if a small tiller could handle it haha