PDA

View Full Version : New Company Launch help

Ducke
12-27-2010, 05:32 PM
I am about to launch my new Lawn Care Company and am looking foe a Flier that I can drop in mail boxes in my area to Introduce myself and My services.
I have looked at the ones on the site but just don't see something that fit my needs and I am just wondering if anyone has any Ideas.

I have done up a Business card and would like to incorporate some of the same features . I am also posting my Truck logo Mock up.
Thank you gopher Haul for the Logo templates they were great inspiration and easy to work with, I will be linking them to my site once I get one done.

Graham

TheGoat
12-27-2010, 09:36 PM
When I first made up postcards for my lawn service I downloaded a program called inkscape, learned it and designed my own. This year I'm hiring a designer.

Steve
12-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Graham,

Those graphics looks good!

When you reviewed the flyers on the forum, what didnt you like about them and what did you feel they were missing? Maybe from that, we can pin down what you really want.

Ducke
12-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Graham,

Those graphics looks good!

When you reviewed the fliers on the forum, what didn't you like about them and what did you feel they were missing? Maybe from that, we can pin down what you really want.

Well I guess what I was looking for was something along the lines of a "Hey look at me " type of Flier. I have several competitors that I'm up against but their outsiders I really what to Highlight the "Locally Owned and Operated Right here in your Neighborhood" I figure it will give me an edge.
I found that the fliers on the site seem more for established companies, Some of which i am going to use for my aeration, power wash and fall clean up.
I am just kind of looking for a Grand Opening kind of thing I guess.

Steve
12-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Thats a good idea.

Maybe you could put some sort of offer at the top and then include your picture and say that you are a new business, locally owned and operated. Give a quick resume that shows how many years you have lived there, different organizations you are or have been apart of and then below, have your contact information.

I bet that could really connect with the neighbors in your area. If you put something together, I'd love to see it.

Ducke
12-30-2010, 08:19 AM
OK I have been playing around with several different layouts and her is what i have come up with.
it still needs some refining but I am liking what I see so far.

jymie
12-30-2010, 08:45 AM
That looks like a good introduction. Proof read through the paragraph, maybe should be may be, you have work should read you have worked, other than that it looks good. It comes across that you are no stranger to the business which is good. If you are licensed and insured, it would be good to mention that as well. Also if you are planning to take on commercial mention you do residential & commercial.

Growing Green
12-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Looks good. I'm not a big fan of that green you used in the first paragraph. Maybe you can use one of the greens that is in your logo? Would probably look better.

Matt

Steve
12-30-2010, 01:28 PM
I like where you are going with it.

My suggestions would be to put your logo at the bottom and some sort of catchy headline at top.

Maybe something like, "Get a lush green lawn from a caring local lawn care professional."

Also you may want to include your picture in there too.

TheGoat
12-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Looks really good, but as other have mentioned, proof read that sucker, and get a couple other people to as well.

How do plan to distribute your lawn service (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com) introduction flyers?

HealeyV3
12-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Flyer isn't a bad start at all. You definitely need to follow the other member's advice regarding proof reading though. Where I work I always have at least 2 other people glance over anything important (Newsletters, etc) before the final print.

I do have one observation in regards to the logo.

One of the big things that I've learned with my graphics design background is ALWAYS make your text easily read. I feel as though the "fuzzed out" text really takes away from people being able to read your logo.

My solution: Make the text whole, yet integrate something different to the words, or add some style behind/around.
Example: http://www.designgeneral.com/images/logo-design/logo-design-19.gif
http://www.designgeneral.com/images/logo-design/logo-design-19.gif

Look at the " O " and the design. It has a niche little touch of style, yet does not hinder the user from clearly reading the words. The same thing goes for the two "T"'s touching.

Ducke
12-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I have Been reading and listening and have reformatted the flier.
I have change some thing but basically left the paragraph as was other then some typo repairs. I know I am no Novelist and I do plan on having several people review this before it goes to print.

Graham

Ducke
12-30-2010, 11:00 PM
oops I can tell its late here I forgot to change the color.
Night all I will check back tomorrow.

Graham :o

Steve
12-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Oh yea that is getting good! Maybe put a question mark at the end of the question

Tired of mowing your lawn?

That is great because you are going to capture their attention. In fact you could try two different headlines. Use one for half your town and another for the other half. Then you can see based on where the calls come in from, which headline is doing a better job at getting customers to call you.

Growing Green
12-31-2010, 02:19 PM
oops I can tell its late here I forgot to change the color.
Night all I will check back tomorrow.

Graham :o

Good stuff Ducke! I like it much better!

Matt

Ducke
12-31-2010, 04:18 PM
It all thank to you guys and gopher haul for the finished product
I just cut and pasted I owe you guy for all the great advice I'm getting

Graham:)

Steve
01-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I can't wait to hear how it all works out! When will you start sending them out? How will you be distributing them?

Ducke
01-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Well Christmas and New Years have kind of slowed me down a bit but I hope to get out and get some prices on printing next week, Then I am going to had deliver the Fliers mid February I don't want to be to early and have people forget but I don't want to be to late either
On another note I opened up a Face Book Page Today here is the address

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Duckes-Lawn-Care-Servies/228473077571

Steve
01-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Do you have plans on how you plan to hand them out also how you will choose which areas?

Will you start with your local neighborhood first and work out from there?

I can't wait to hear how all this goes.

Ducke
01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Do you have plans on how you plan to hand them out also how you will choose which areas?

Will you start with your local neighborhood first and work out from there?

I can't wait to hear how all this goes.

I kind think I will start close to home and work outward in a giant circle.
I have a area picked out and have done some research in to general
population etc. It is an up and coming area with established homes.
It has about a 65% Seniors 35% young couples. They is about 85% old homes of which about 25% are newly remodeled, average lot is 4500 to 6500 sq feet. Of the old homes they are a bit bigger 6500 to 8500 sq feet.
I have lived here all my life most people know me or my Brothers and my Father was a predominate Teacher her and tought most of the old folks kids.
I will keep you all posted .
I have gone out to several printers for quotes on flyer pricing so far
for 3000 flyers in two colors I have pricing from $1170(big national chain)
$289.75 and $262.00 from two local printers I am waiting on two more and then I will make my choice.

Graham

Steve
01-06-2011, 05:18 PM
With all the people you and your family know, this should be very successful! I would try to harness as many of them as I could to help in getting the word out, so I hope you have plenty of business cards to hand out too.

Ducke
01-15-2011, 07:41 PM
With all the people you and your family know, this should be very successful! I would try to harness as many of them as I could to help in getting the word out, so I hope you have plenty of business cards to hand out too.

Sorry for not being around for a while been really busy with Getting the Truck labeled and Fliers estimates and writing a Business Plan and get Bank info from some major banks to get the best deal and also out talking to suppliers,
and oh ya tiring to have a life and work at a part time job.
I'll be glad when summer gets here so I can get to work on some lawns.
I will keep you posted as things come up.

Graham

Steve
01-16-2011, 03:08 AM
Oh that all sounds good!

Show us some pics of the truck when you are done!

c4trash
01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Oh that all sounds good!

Sorry folks havent been on for awhile its summer here so been busy
Had a look at the flyer good job but though it was a bit wordy eg do potential customers really need to know your personal history? (I normally design mine to fit 4 up on an A4 page allowing space for cutting) and put before and after photos in it and find Microsoft Publisher easier to use for flyers as it allows you to adjust spacing when printing 4 up on a page Then once Im happy export to a PDF file which any commercial printer can use to print your flyers.
I also have two types of flyers
1 Designed for homeowners and tenants
2 Designed for Commercial Businesses and Real Estate Companies
I will post some samples here during the week

Ducke
01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Oh that all sounds good!

Will do Steve, I was over to see my Sister as she runs a large Signage Company here in town so I am getting the Family rate:D which fits right in line with my start up Budget :)
I am getting the logo on the doors and a list of services on my side windows and a Logo with large Phone Number and space for web address once I get one going ( I am working on that now as well)

Graham

Ducke
01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Sorry folks haven't been on for awhile its summer here so been busy
Had a look at the flier good job but though it was a bit wordy eg do potential customers really need to know your personal history? (I normally design mine to fit 4 up on an A4 page allowing space for cutting) and put before and after photos in it and find Microsoft Publisher easier to use for fliers as it allows you to adjust spacing when printing 4 up on a page Then once I'm happy export to a PDF file which any commercial printer can use to print your fliers.
I also have two types of fliers

I agree with your comment about being to wordy but I want to get across the fact that I'm Qualified and not a Fly by niter, with that said I am rethinking the fliers and the way I deliver them (also I am going to get insurance) I am thinking of making them a little less wordy and Delivering them myself once the weather breaks to hand picked home owners that I can see need help, either they don't know what to do or how to do it or they don't want to do it.
By hand delivering to these people I can talk to them one on one and they then can see and hear my knowledge of lawn care. I believe this will really help as I have a very out going personality that has served me well in 20+ years of sale and the last 5 years as a Lawn tech.
Ones I get something done I well post them I'm thinking something like a Post card.

Graham

Steve
01-17-2011, 03:38 AM
I also have two types of flyers

I look forwards to seeing them!

I was over to see my Sister as she runs a large Signage Company here in town so I am getting the Family rate

I bet you could turn a lot of business her way from here. You should plug her shop here.

c4trash
01-17-2011, 06:36 AM
I agree with your comment about being to wordy but I want to get across the fact that I'm Qualified and not a Fly by niter, with that said I am rethinking the fliers and the way I deliver them (also I am going to get insurance) I am thinking of making them a little less wordy and Delivering them myself once the weather breaks to hand picked home owners that I can see need help, either they don't know what to do or how to do it or they don't want to do it.
By hand delivering to these people I can talk to them one on one and they then can see and hear my knowledge of lawn care. I believe this will really help as I have a very out going personality that has served me well in 20+ years of sale and the last 5 years as a Lawn tech.
Ones I get something done I well post them I'm thinking something like a Post card.

Graham
Here's my flyer which i supply on usb stick to any printer if i run out of flyers (which I also use as handouts to potential clients dont have a business card they cost extra) I just stop at local copy shop and run some off
Unlike a lot of local similar business's I concentrate on providing a high quality range of services and rely heavily on word of mouth referrals from my current customers
In most cases these are my Property Managers Landlords and Real Estate clients this is because in the current climate anyone with a lawnmower car and trailer doing it as a hobby can undercut you
My 24/7 Sevice allows me to get in do a job and be away within 24hrs of getting the job
Frank

c4trash
01-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Here's my flyer which i supply on usb stick to any printer if i run out of flyers (which I also use as handouts to potential clients dont have a business card they cost extra) I just stop at local copy shop and run some off
Unlike a lot of local similar business's I concentrate on providing a high quality range of services and rely heavily on word of mouth referrals from my current customers
In most cases these are my Property Managers Landlords and Real Estate clients this is because in the current climate anyone with a lawnmower car and trailer doing it as a hobby can undercut you
My 24/7 Sevice allows me to get in do a job and be away within 24hrs of getting the job
Frank
Forgot to add WINZ is our local Department of Social Welfare who manage the benefits here in NZ and if you register with them they will allow you to give their clients a quote and they also pay the bill for the work you do direct to your account

Steve
01-18-2011, 02:02 AM
That is very interesting! Are there certain specific job types that apply more to WINZ needs?

c4trash
01-18-2011, 04:13 AM
That is very interesting! Are there certain specific job types that apply more to WINZ needs?
A majority of these jobs involve people who cant afford basic utilities like rubbish removal, lawn mowing etc and dont have the funds to buy a mower weedeater etc.
They then have issues with their landlords who demand they clean up the property or get evicted Because of my relationships and networks with various Property Managers in both the Public and Private Sector I find out about it and step in to help out arranging for the work to be done and paid for. Result the job is done and the tenant and landlord are happy I also in most cases get a new client with the Government paying the bill and deducting it weekly from the client

Ducke
02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Hey hey its me again
Man Have I been busy.But it seems to be winding down now
I have my Insurance and My company bank account (checking, visa etc..)
I have registered my web domain and designed and launched my new web site
->Ducke's Lawn Care Services<- (http://www.duckfoot.ca)
I hope to later add a Blog to go along with the site. I guess what I'm waiting for now is the snow to go so I can start on some lawns.

jymie
02-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey hey its me again
Man Have I been busy.But it seems to be winding down now
I have my Insurance and My company bank account (checking, visa etc..)
I have registered my web domain and designed and launched my new web site
->Ducke's Lawn Care Services<- (http://www.duckfoot.ca)
I hope to later add a Blog to go along with the site. I guess what I'm waiting for now is the snow to go so I can start on some lawns.

Nice job with the new site. On the home page you have listed twice Vacation Services.
Also National is mis spelled.

On the light landscaping page, acceptable is mis spelled. You may want to run a spell check on each of the pages.

Other wise it looks really good!

Ducke
02-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Nice job with the new site. On the home page you have listed twice Vacation Services.
Also National is mis spelled.

On the light landscaping page, acceptable is mis spelled. You may want to run a spell check on each of the pages.

Other wise it looks really good!

Thanks for the input
I have made the correction and re-posted.
I have been starring at the HTML for 5 days now it all becomes a blur.
I tried to use spell check but it really doesn't like checking anything with HTML in it. I spent a good part of this evening going over it and finding some code problems with Explorer and then some link issues.
I like that basic bones of the site but now I am going to add some more up to date stuff like Flash and Java etc. Its been a long time since I have done HTML work.
Thanks again for the input.

Graham

jymie
02-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Your welcome!

Steve
02-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Very nice job on the website!

Are there any other items on your to do list before spring gets here?

Ducke
02-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Ordered my Business cards and some postcard yesterday.
I have ordered up some parts I needed for my spreader and am going Monday to order some new rear wheels for my Toro. I was up and approved the logos for my truck and they should be ready (knock on wood ) next week.
Laid out my lawn package pricing as well as my individual service pricing.
I am now looking at a couple of contract forms and I want to get a couple of Shirts embroidered as well as 5 or 6 Tee Shirts.other then that I only need to wait for the 4 feet of snow outside to melt and I do believe I'm ready to go

Ducke
02-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Oh yes I also am about to start test driving some software, I have Quick Books
but want a scheduling and costumer data base as well.
Yes Gopher is in the test group.

Steve
02-12-2011, 05:03 PM
I like your marketing material!

How will you be utilizing your postcards? Will they be mailed or handed out?

Ducke
02-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I like your marketing material!

How will you be utilizing your postcards? Will they be mailed or handed out?

Thanks Steve
I am going to be handing the post cards out to potential lawns.
Once the snow is gone I am going to start to walk the area and lokkat the lawns and any that I see as in need of my help will get the knock on the door and a Post card and Business card.
The Post Cards are rather pricey so I really want to target them to good prospects.

Steve
02-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Oh that is going to be really good!

c4trash
02-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Thanks Steve
I am going to be handing the post cards out to potential lawns.
Once the snow is gone I am going to start to walk the area and lokkat the lawns and any that I see as in need of my help will get the knock on the door and a Post card and Business card.
The Post Cards are rather pricey so I really want to target them to good prospects.

Your comment concerning Postcards is valid yes they could be pricey especially if being printed out as a photos on glossy paper
In these tough times I keep costs for these things to a bare minimum hence my earlier posts about using a print bureau who don't require you to print of say 1000 copies If you are doing your own designing and keep it on a USB stick you have extreme flexibility to change things as you need them
Most of these bureaus also have a variety of paper grades and colors incl both matt and glossy and suggest its prudent to run some test marketing say 100 to start record the area where you deliver them and then evaluate your actual business gained Basic Marketing 101 Maybe like the Home Shopping Network you could add (Signup before xx/xx/xxxx and your 5th cut is Free)
I am also just starting to design a Web Site its not online yet due to current work schedules but am using a Free Hosting Site with pre-designed templates http://www.bravenet.com/signup/signup.php admittedly there are some catches such as them adding advertising but why pay for something when its Free

HealeyV3
02-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Hey again Ducke,

If you are serious about scheduling, and want to track correctly, you should use q xpress. It's like 40-60$ a month if you are renting it. It can do basically ANYTHING related to invoicing or scheduling. It also automatically posts invoices of completed work to QuickBooks for you.

BUT, it's not for those that don't have technical skills. That's the 1 down side.

Ducke
04-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Well I signed up my first Full Service Full Season Customer Today.
I am so Pumped things are moving along at a strong pace.
I had a bit of a set back April 1st as my Mom passed away after a long battle with cancer so the whole business thing kind of got put on hold. But I am back up and running and as I said things are looking good
I have
4 Complete Spring Clean ups
5 Aeration
2 Partial Spring Clean ups
2 Full Season Hedge Trimming (3times each)
3 Full Season Lawn Mowings (more to come)
I also have 24 outstanding Quotes to follow up on.
I have as well sent a letter of intent to Quote on Mowing for 3 Seniors Homes.
I do believe I am going to make a go of it this year.
I just want to say thank you to everyone here on the Gopher Haul for all their help and patient answers to question that you have most likely heard a dozen or more times, This Forum has really made load of difference. Just having someone from the industry to mentor me is great.

Graham

jymie
04-16-2011, 09:47 PM
So sorry about your mom, at least there is no more pain to endure. Glad to see the business is picking up!

Tom53
04-16-2011, 11:48 PM
You said you were going to put the fliers in mail boxes.......ILLEGAL

you might get away with it and you might have a postal inspector knocking on your door.

Slip them in the crack of the door or find some other way to distribute them or maybe use door hangers instead.

Ducke
04-19-2011, 11:01 AM
You said you were going to put the fliers in mail boxes.......ILLEGAL

you might get away with it and you might have a postal inspector knocking on your door.

Slip them in the crack of the door or find some other way to distribute them or maybe use door hangers instead.

Its no problem here in Canada we can you a persons mail box as it is private property not the Post Office's :)