PDA

View Full Version : Needing serious help with an old pine tree

Rodriguez11
12-22-2010, 12:39 AM
I bought a house from one of my customers who needed out of it bad and I finally got around to cutting trees and cleaning up and got to the big pine tree and noticed the bark falling off about 10" wide all the way up. I pulled away the bark and it was very wet and kinda rotted only in that 10" out of probably 3' wide side.. I did not see any bugs or anything, the girl did tell me that pine has been hit by lightning before. Is this pine tree doomed? or can i fix this.. And I have a picture of the tree but I cant upload a photo or link!! I have tried on other post too, sucks

Rodriguez11
12-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Think this will work

jymie
12-22-2010, 01:31 AM
My feeling about pine trees is this, I hope you like pine cones and needles...alot. The ground under the pine will never grow grass until the pine tree is gone. Something to do with the droppings to the ground making the grass and ground unable to grow grass properly. The roots tend to come to the surface to. You could always mulch the area, but then all the needles dropping make it unsightly in MHO.

Steve
12-23-2010, 12:03 PM
From what I have read about trees hit by lightning, it seems that it becomes a waiting game to see if it will heal. Most don't seem to advise applying anything to the tree where the bark is missing. But I have read some articles that suggest spraying it to keep bugs off.

Rodriguez11
12-23-2010, 01:03 PM
At first I was considering pulling the damaged bark off and scraping all the rotting part out. I imagine it's not good for it and I was thinking of putting a sealant on it to save it from weather and bugs. But when I think about it bark may or may not cover it back up

Steve
12-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Do you have a local tree climbing or supply store in your area that you could go in there and see what product they recommend and why?

Rodriguez11
12-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I looked around, I really dont know about in specific places. Possibly a nursery, I believe there is a nursery near that grows pines. That may be the best bet

Steve
12-26-2010, 11:10 PM
See if they have anything to say. I'd love to hear what they suggest.

LawnMoore
02-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Over the next few years is the only way to evaluate this, you may have had it removed already, if not, it could be on the list, they are 9 times out of 10 going to be ok, however how ok it is, is depending on if it recovers properly.

And also, depending on the lean and how safe you feel under it in your home in relation to where it is. If it is a threat, i would strongly consider getting it out b4 storm season.

I suggest not putting any sealer on this as it will only cause more problems, the tree has its own natural defence, and pines have one of the best, the sap will ooze out and begin to scab itself if it gets enough nutrients and growing conditions, also depending on how badly it was hurt, as i havent seen any close ups or i could provide better insight.

The best thing to do is call a professional tree service in your are with a "certified arborist" on staff.

Ask them if they can send him out to give your tree an evaluation.

Other than that, look for the new growth on the tree, if its not regrowing needles when the rest of the trees are, its better to go ahead and start getting estimates.

Goodluck, if i was near i would be glad to help you :cool:

cruzgardening
02-25-2011, 04:36 AM
My feeling about pine trees is this, I hope you like pine cones and needles...alot. The ground under the pine will never grow grass until the pine tree is gone. Something to do with the droppings to the ground making the grass and ground unable to grow grass properly. The roots tend to come to the surface to. You could always mulch the area, but then all the needles dropping make it unsightly in MHO.

the reason all teh grass dies off is because the needles of any pine tree are acidic and most grasses hate acidic soils, with some exeptions, now the way to have grass grow back under a pine is to first prepare teh soil under the pine tree removing about 2 inches of the top soil and adding new soil or adding about 4 inches of compost and mixing it to the existing soil, after this every year you will have to get a soil test and accommodate the right amount of lime into the soil to have the ph be the right ph for your type of grass and also choose a grass taht will do well in your area and tolerates shade :)

about the pine i would get a quote just incase...