PDA

View Full Version : My site is live...still some work to be done!

MrLank
12-21-2010, 09:42 PM
So a couple weeks back I posted my facebook page, which I made while my site was being worked on. Well this mourning he finished up on the layout and made it live. I still have some tweaking to do, but thought I would get some comments or suggestions. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Only thing missing that I talked to him about today is the "Services" tab. So let me know what you think and feel free to also follow my work on facebook by "Liking" my page.

www.clslawncare.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CLs-Lawn-Care-Snow-Removal/175797069099291

The Cleaning Doctor
12-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Here are 2 lines that only the search engines see....

meta name="keywords" content="Chris Lanpher, CL's Lawn Care, Clslawncare, Lawn Service, Yard Service, Des Moines, Johnston, Lawn Care Des Moines, Lawn Care Iowa, Yard Care Des Moines, Lawn Service Johnston, Landscaping Des Moines, Land Scaping Des Moines, Mulching Des Moines, Mulching Johnston,"

These in Red are your keywords. Not one word about lawn mowing or lawn maintenance.

meta name="description" content="CL's Lawn Care. Yard services and Snow removal for the Des Moines Area."

The above is what shows up on Google search results. Not much of a description. Does not include much in the way of keywords.

Now, look at your site and then read the blue bar at the top of the window. This is the link on the search results. No keywords there either. Look at my deck staining site for an example.... http://deckstainingtips.com

On a personal note, Waaay too much green but that is just my personal opinion. The other things I have told you are geared towards SEO.

Since this site is in Joomla search for free templates. There are so many of them out there that look better than this one does. Once again, just my personal preference.

Now just to let you know, I answered looking at the site from a developer standpoint.

Was this a friend that did this for you or did you pay to get it done?

jymie
12-21-2010, 10:56 PM
You will want to list all your services in the keywords & the description as well.

MrLank
12-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Was this a friend that did this for you or did you pay to get it done?

Was a friend and he did it for free(actually I have to buy him a beer next time I see him)but basically free.

Growing Green
12-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Lots of green, but defintely has potential. Why do you have a login area or why does customer need to create an account? That is confusing to me.

Matt

The Cleaning Doctor
12-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Helping out a friend is great. I was just not wanting you to have paid for that but you are off to a good start. Do some searching about free joomla templates. I think you will be surprised.

As for the login, that is a function of joomla for administration. Basically joomla is a type of blog but much more. That can be removed from the options.

MrLank
12-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Besides the template, what else would you change?

The Cleaning Doctor
12-22-2010, 09:57 PM
What I listed above to begin with.

Keywords = with these you need to think like a consumer. what are they going to type to find you?

Description = Describe your services in around 200 characters. That is not words and get your keywords like lawn, mowing, maintenance etc in there if possible. Remember this is what you read below the search results so it needs to make the consumer click your link.

Title = This one is short and sweet, you have about 60 characters to deal with on this one.

MrLank
12-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Well I have the website guy working on the keywords. Any specifics I should put in there. I did the usual like Des Moines lawn care and things of that nature.

jymie
12-26-2010, 08:00 PM
List every service that you have and come up with variations of them, mowing, lawn mowing, grass cutting, hedge trimming, cut bushes, trim bushes, weed whacking, whacking, mulch install, bush planting and so on. I also put in my keywords the zip codes we service. Some people will input a zip code and what service they want in a search.

MrLank
12-27-2010, 09:26 AM
List every service that you have and come up with variations of them, mowing, lawn mowing, grass cutting, hedge trimming, cut bushes, trim bushes, weed whacking, whacking, mulch install, bush planting and so on. I also put in my keywords the zip codes we service. Some people will input a zip code and what service they want in a search.

You think zip code rather then city? I'd do Des Moines lawn care before 50310 lawn care, personally.

jymie
12-27-2010, 11:34 PM
You think zip code rather then city? I'd do Des Moines lawn care before 50310 lawn care, personally.

No, I include both. The city, the zipcode, separated by commas. When doing keywords you want to try to cover every possible way a customer will input for a search.

ex. lawn mowing, lawn cutting, grass, cutting, grass cutting, lawn, cutting, desmoines, Des Moines, 50310

Notice desmoines, some will not be gramatically correct either when they type in searches.

MrLank
01-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Updated site: www.clslawncare.com (http://www.clslawncare.com)

With my down time in between snow removal, I've been reading up on website information. Updated the site last night. You guys might not remember what it looked like before. If you do, does it look better?

Also I think I fixed the keywords. Not sure though.

Let me know: Ideas, Suggestions, Feedback

The Cleaning Doctor
01-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Well for one, how are they supposed to contact you?

I don't see a phone number anywhere on the site. You are going to miss out on a lot of business that way.

MrLank
01-26-2011, 02:50 AM
Well for one, how are they supposed to contact you?

I don't see a phone number anywhere on the site. You are going to miss out on a lot of business that way.

They can request a bid. I suppose I should put my number up.