PDA

View Full Version : I have a plowing question

jasonw
12-20-2010, 11:12 PM
I was going to use my ranch truck for plowing next year. I wish I got it out this year but it needs a muffler, registration and has been at the garage at my ranch for 3 years untouched. Now its a 1993 Chevy S-10 Its is 4X4, V-6 "Not vortec" Being a small truck will it be usable to plow? I would eventually want a bigger one but maybe use this one for a year or 2 just because I already have it then when my business is doing good again I can retire it and buy a bigger truck. Any suggestions and or pointers? Are full size trucks even necessary or are they an ego thing?

jklawncare
12-21-2010, 04:23 AM
i got the s-10 blazer (93 also) and mine was sitting for 3 years before i got it too..

but

it took a little money getting it to run good

new fluids
new fuel pump
new plugs
etc.

and it runs good now
and i know it could plow

but the question is how long

plowing puts a lot of stress on your truck..snow weighs alot

im sure you cold do it but theres always the risk of somehting going wrong..i wouldnt feel comfortable doing it unless i drove it for a year or so and felt it was ready to handle that..but i still wouldnt trust it for too long..

you could be plowing one drive and then have your car break down and have to get it towed

then all those customers you have would be let down and that would not be good for you..so your only options would be get a new truck or grab a shovel..

picframer
12-21-2010, 04:26 AM
I think it depends to some extent on your local snowfall history, a 1/4 ton where I live would probably not last a season as I don't know that they are built for the conditions and amount of snow we receive, they are also pretty light for plowing although you could load the box up with weight. I have never seen a small truck around here with a plow, even at a homeowners site.

jasonw
12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
This truck ran GREAT I think there was a problem with the 4X4 but only in revers, maybe it was normal but we would back the hey up the hill to the barn and one rear tire would spin and the opposing front tire would spin and it would go nowhere. We used an old Ranger 2WD and it backed up the hill fine. The Chevy would go up the hill great forward but the way the barn was situated we HAD to back up to it. I use to have a manual crain in the bed and was used for fire wood. They would pick logs up and put them in the bed so they beat the hell out of the passenger side of the bed. Like I said it ran great but the muffler was bad. We have a new muffler behind the seat but just never put it on. a few years ago we tried to start it but the battery was dead and we had no charger, it was to cold to push it out of the garage to jump start it and back then we just didn't care so we left it alone. I know its on a nonop so there wont be any penalties on it. I dont think I would take it any higher up the hill than maybe a couple feet of snow. I do want the work but will not be so stupid as to destroy a truck doing it. Worst case I can use it to pull the tractor or ATV and use one of those to plow private roads and or drives. The problem now is I know the tractor can to very light work and the ATV could plow the hell out of anything but with my full size 2WD Dodge it just sounds stupid to risk taking it up in the snow which is why I thought of getting the 4WD at our ranch. I know it had very low miles on it to but dont remember exactly how many. I want to say somewhere around 40K. Like I said though I would like a full size truck I just need something to get to ball rolling. The snow line is about 20 minutes from my house and that seems like the best way to make a good living over winter, the truck will cost me very little to get legal, as I said the parts it needs are there already and its been stored out of the weather in a garage so its like a win win. Worst case I guess the thing blows up, I made a few bucks then have it junked lol. Do you think it would handle 2' of snow ok or would that even be pushing it?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Where are you at that you need a muffler to be legal? Or are you talking about the cats? I dont think that truck had cats then....

jasonw
12-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Where are you at that you need a muffler to be legal? Or are you talking about the cats? I dont think that truck had cats then....

They may not always stick it to you but according to the vehicle code modified exhaust is illegal. Besides I like to be professional. I dont want to drive up to someones house sounding like a top fuel dragster. Vehicles have had cats at least since the late 70s. I had a 79 datsun with one one it. Even my ATV's have Cats.

bruces
12-23-2010, 12:11 AM
I had a friend who plowed commercial parking lots with one,he carried two spare front cv axles with him at all times ,and broke a few front torsion bars every winter but it did do the job well enough for him .You need a small lightweight plow and to drive like your grandma going to church which really impedes your ability to make money ,but it can be made to work .

picframer
12-23-2010, 04:53 AM
2 feet is snow is a desperate amount of weight, if it were fluff it might go through it, med to heavy snow IMHO it will not even look at it.

As for the muffler, do you have to have your vehicle safety inspected? If so ask a garage up to what year you have to replace a Cat, I know here if the vehicle came with a Cat up to a certain year you can replace it with an in line muffler, failing which maybe an auto salvage would have one, we ripped one off one of the trucks last year in a very rough area and I was shocked at the cost of these things.

jasonw
12-23-2010, 01:13 PM
2 feet is snow is a desperate amount of weight, if it were fluff it might go through it, med to heavy snow IMHO it will not even look at it.

As for the muffler, do you have to have your vehicle safety inspected? If so ask a garage up to what year you have to replace a Cat, I know here if the vehicle came with a Cat up to a certain year you can replace it with an in line muffler, failing which maybe an auto salvage would have one, we ripped one off one of the trucks last year in a very rough area and I was shocked at the cost of these things.

I am not worried about an inspection or a shop, I want to be professional so I dont want the truck so loud. There is nothing wrong with the Cat just the muffler and we already have a new OEM one behind the seat. Its just a matter of me getting to the ranch and putting it on. The only thing holding me up is the ranch is up in the mountains and I dont have a vehicle that can get up there right now to get the truck lol. I should have brought it down here last summer.

jymie
12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
They may not always stick it to you but according to the vehicle code modified exhaust is illegal. Besides I like to be professional. I dont want to drive up to someones house sounding like a top fuel dragster. Vehicles have had cats at least since the late 70s. I had a 79 datsun with one one it. Even my ATV's have Cats.

Do any of them have dogs? :) sorry couldn't resist...

jasonw
12-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Do any of them have dogs? :) sorry couldn't resist...
Some of them do.