PDA

View Full Version : City emergency contracts?

jasonw
12-19-2010, 05:42 PM
What would you say would be a good way to approach a city with your services for emergency situations such as a tree blocking a road at 2am Sunday morning. Most City employees are off. They are all off in my City on the weekends so what would be a good way to offer to be on call nights and weekends for them in these situations?

The Cleaning Doctor
12-19-2010, 07:11 PM
There is a codes enforcement division in your town. Get on their list so if they have to clear a lot you may be called. You can ask for information about what they paid last year.

I don't know how they would handle down trees but from what I have seen, it usually falls on a power line and the power company handles the cutting. Other than that they usually call out someone from public works.

kevin_naecker
12-19-2010, 08:10 PM
county work like tree removal typicly falls on your local highways crew or public works most of these teams have a tree crew. they are normaly on call if there is a tree down.most of all county workers are considered essential personnel. meaning that if there is a natural desaster or act of god war or blood shed whatever they can be called in to perform there job. also counties have a bid list of tree experts that meet code saftey and other standerds that they will call to perform the job also. contact your counties perchasing department and they can tell you when and what you have to do to bid on work. almost always the highest and lowest bid is put in the trash just to let you know.

jasonw
12-19-2010, 08:59 PM
The only people in my city that deal with downed trees are the city labor crew. If its late at night or on a weekend they have the fire department do it. Because of the cost to get the fire department out of bed and out there cutting a tree down I think me offering for a fraction of the cost would be very welcome for them.

picframer
12-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Here everything goes through the procurement divisions, City, Power Co. Telephone, Cable all sub tree services out to companies like us. It's a lot of paperwork here and I am on the list and we do some tree work, takes 60 to 90 days to get paid so keep that in mind, we are also with Emergency Measures and in several categories as we have equipment to do a number of things and loader snow clearing (not removal).

jasonw
12-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I know all about the time it takes to get paid. My one county contract has to be invoiced, then the invoice sits on a desk until the BOD meeting where it is viewed and voted on, then a check is cut. Normally taking 30-60 days from the time of invoice until I get a check in the male. The good thing is I have never heard of any non payment problems with a county or city. The last tree that fell on my street last year brought out 3 city trucks, 4 laborers, city engineer as well as the city fire chief the close the road. I am sure this cost the city thousands of dollars for equipment and man power. I figured if I set it up for them to run out. Cut a tree into manageable peaces then push it off the road with my truck it would be an easy $50-$100 for a few minutes of work thus saving the city a ton of money and helping a local business out at the same time so its a win win situation am I wrong? We live in a very small city and have no transportation or tree department or anything like that. Just a small city staff, mostly administrative staff at that.