PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Alaska

SeasonalService
12-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Hey how is everybody doing today? I just wanted to drop in here and say hello since I'm the new guy to the site. Been plowing many years. It'll be nice to talk with you guys out there to hear your experiences over the years.

Talk to ya soon.

B-2 Lawncare
12-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Hello from Wyoming,
I push a little snow here as well,I live in the foot hill of the Rocky Mountains.
And have a lot of fun pushing the stuff a round. I am all always looking for that next big winter storm.

Paineless Creations
12-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the forum from Washington State

The Cleaning Doctor
12-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome aboard.

Where in Alaska and Wyoming are you guys?

I lived in Dutch Harbor for 6 years and 3 in Anchorage.

Welcome from Big Sky country.

B-2 Lawncare
12-20-2010, 02:46 PM
I am in Buffalo WY, seem like the snow hit all around us but not in Buffalo. We got about 1" last night. how about you guys?

Steve
12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your own lawn care business?

ataboyj
12-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Is there really a lawncare season in alaska, since the growing season is like a month and half long? But am sure the plowing is good money there!

The Cleaning Doctor
12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
The season is actually around 6 months. Latest snow is around April and the earliest I saw was October. There are exceptions but this is the general way it works. Alaska is not a giant iceberg that people think it is.

Anchorage for instance does not stay below 0 very long whereas Fairbanks can be below 0 for months. Difference in geography and proximity to the oceans. I have never seen Anchorage over 85 yet Fairbanks will be near triple digits. The Aleutian Islands are another beast all together, rarely below 20 but then rarely above 65 and the wind would cause a Floridian to cry. I witnessed 176 mph at the dock and 212 mph at the weather station on the mountain. And they whine about hurricanes.... LOL

How about things like this..... And you think there is no growing season.... LOL

Rutabaga - World Record 82.9 Lbs
Green Cabbage - World Record 127 Lbs

Here is the link http://community.adn.com/node/143372

Here is a list of world records. Look how many are in Alaska. I didn't even know this. http://www.giantgardening.com/records_table.php

ataboyj
12-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Yea thats great, I knew the growing season was a great one because the sun doesn't even set in peak of the season, but i just thought it was a lot shorter then most. 6 months isn't to bad of a season.

Davis Outdoor Jobs
ataboyj.webs.com

SeasonalService
12-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Welcome aboard.

Where in Alaska and Wyoming are you guys?

I lived in Dutch Harbor for 6 years and 3 in Anchorage.

Welcome from Big Sky country.

I'm just outside Anchorage, been here quite a while.

SeasonalService
12-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your own lawn care business?

I'm just into the snow plowing side of things right now, but the motivator to get into it was mainly to get me out of the house... ;)

The Cleaning Doctor
12-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Yea thats great, I knew the growing season was a great one because the sun doesn't even set in peak of the season

Gotta learn more about Alaska. The sun does set in Anchorage every night for about 4 hours. Alaska is huge and you can not fathom the size without seeing it. It all depends on where you are at as to whether the sun sets or not. North to South the distance is just like crossing Canada. Name another state where you can drive for around 6 hours and only be half way across the state.

Southeast Alaska has more night time hours because they are further south.

I lived there for 9 years and I never saw 24 hours of daylight. Funny though how you have to wait until the morning of the 5th of July for fireworks.

As for the snow plowing, great for you but be prepared. I remember one winter where it snowed in Oct and did not melt till April and then the next year it did not snow until the end of January.

Steve
12-24-2010, 02:32 PM
I'd love to see some pictures of the area up there where you're at!

The Cleaning Doctor
12-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I wish I still had some from my time up there.

It is one of the most beautiful states you will ever visit.

If someone wanted the total Alaska experience here is what I would tell them (money and time being no object)

1. Take a cruise ship from Seattle up to Alaska to either Homer or Seward. This way you can see the southeast portion and the inside passage.
2. Take the train from seward or homer to anchorage. You can then spend some time in Anchorage.
3. Take the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Why be bothered with watching the road when you can view this great state.
4. There are several places you can fly into for various activities.
5. From Fairbanks you can drive up the haul road to the north slope i.e. Barrow
6. fly home from fairbanks.

This is the only way to see all that Alaska has to offer.

By the way, you will not find one billboard in the entire state.

Steve
12-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I saw on some travel show where they have these double decker trains that allow you great views from the second level.

You can see one of them here (http://image28.webshots.com/28/2/63/73/2839263730086441527bgrIHN_ph.jpg). Riding on such a train looks like it would be great fun.

http://image28.webshots.com/28/2/63/73/2839263730086441527bgrIHN_ph.jpg

The Cleaning Doctor
12-28-2010, 06:53 PM
You know, Alaska is the only state where the train will stop for someone standing along the tracks. It is a law as for some it is the only way in or out of their home to town.

Steve
12-29-2010, 05:48 PM
That is very fascinating!

The Cleaning Doctor
12-29-2010, 09:20 PM
It is truly the last frontier.

I almost forgot this......

When I would come back to the lower 48 on vacation and people found out I was from Alaska they would ask the dumbest questions like....

1. Do you have real houses up there? No we just pretend the rain and snow is not hitting us. Most thought we all lived in Igloos, our education system sucks.

2. What kind of money do you use? This was an all too often occurrence. I had several answers for this one

. Rubles
. Canadian Dollars
. Japanese Yen
. Furs and Walrus Tusks
Or if I knew them
. Are you THAT stupid! Alaska is a state, even before Hawaii and no one questions what they use for money.:D

arthur712
12-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Welcome aboard