PDA

View Full Version : Winter again

jasonw
12-18-2010, 11:16 PM
I am not sure if I hate the business or hate the area. This storm is blowing all the leafs into the farmland so forget leaf removal. We are below the snow line quit a ways and I am 2wd only so forget snow removal and noones grass is grown. Its starting to look like its going to be an F-ed winter for me. Any suggestions? There must be some landscape maintenance that I can capitalize on during the winter.

Hedgemaster
12-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Is prostitution legal in your state?

:D

jasonw
12-18-2010, 11:29 PM
No its not

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Christmas lighting
shovel or plow small drive and walkways
salt them too
get rid of snow and icicle overhangs on houses

Prep yourself for next year
have a game plan..this is what im doing.

jasonw
12-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Christmas is a week away, lights are already up. No snow and or ice here at all. salt is not legal here. Any other guesses?

The Cleaning Doctor
12-19-2010, 05:53 PM
If all else fails, deliver Pizza till work rolls in.

jasonw
12-19-2010, 06:08 PM
No.nononono

jymie
12-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Pick up an adult newspaper route with the major newspaper in your area. Right after Christmas they are always looking for new carriers. I did that for many years. Get a route you have to do yourself.

jklawncare
12-20-2010, 12:40 AM
besides a part time job theres really nothing i can think of..maybe some minor hardscaping work while theres no snow..

not sure

offer to dress up as santa and visit the kids haha

jasonw
12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I was thinking of working with indoor gardens. I know the idea of those is picking up steam all over. It probably wont help me right now this year but could be good for future winters. I am also working on maybe providing emergency work "see my other post" Anywhere from removing trees fallen in the storms to putting quick band aides on leaking roofs. I think emergency work is where the big money can be honestly. Look at an ambulance ride to the ER. Not many can afford it but we all NEED it in times of bad injury. I know I would not want to pay someone $100 to path a small roof leak but if that leak is putting my several thousand dollars of computer equipment in my office at risk I will be happy for someone to get on the roof in the rain, patch it then write him/her a check.

Steve
12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
How about Christmas tree removal after the holidays?

jasonw
12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
How about Christmas tree removal after the holidays?

Not a bad idea. I wander how I would work it? Call the landfill and ask what their fee is and mark up from there?

TheGoat
12-21-2010, 03:34 PM
This is my first year operating a lawn service (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com) but during the summer I set myself some "winter tasks" as I had some time to think while I was behind my mower. First was to develop some post cards for advertising, I did that. 2nd was to create a web presence for my business. I did that. Now I am working on driving traffic to my site and that is a work in progress. link building as well as advertising in a couple of different places on a pay per click basis. Generating income during the winter so I have to judge it as a win so far. once I have the site traffic on auto pilot I'm going to go back to learning more about the ag in my area and focus on getting my applicators license, though I'm mowing less, I've found that theres still lots to do in the "off season" here in Florida.

jymie
12-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Make sure you get listed on every yellow pages site you can find. Google search for them there are many business directories out there also. Many of them are free and all you need to do is put a logo from them on your website.

Yellowpages.com
magicyellow.com
superpages.com
yellowbook.com

Also get listed on each of the search engines in the places part of them:

google places
google maps
yahoo maps
bing maps

Look into merchantcircle.com. Also check into your local chamber of commerce they have many things to offer small businesses. Plus its a way to get to meet other business owners in your area. You just might get to do work for some of them. Most of them meet once or twice a month. After you have been in business a couple years join the Better Business Bureau in your area. People see their logo on your site and it gives you so much more credibility. It shows satisfaction in your work. I will be able to join them in 2011 and cant wait. Submit the site to the search engines.

I use print advertising too. Our local pennysaver has an annual business directory that they publish every year. I placed our logo in it with the yellow color to it and when you open that page it just explodes and you have no choice but to look at it. I expect that to be a big plus for us in the spring. I attached the page it is on so you can see the difference to just using a logo ad instead of just a normal word listing.

This year I will also be getting exposure at a local 18 hole golf course in our area. They get 40,000 rounds of golf a year and my advertising logo will be on the score cards the golfers use. That will cost me $395 for the whole year. I get a couple mulch jobs from it and the ad is paid for along with the payroll & supplies to do those jobs.

The other thing I do, the pennysaver has a section they call business directory, in the weekly pennysaver the whole page is for businesses to have their business card or small ad on a bulletin board looking page of the paper. You get 13 weeks for $20 a week. That reaches every resident in the whole town and village.

Steve
12-22-2010, 11:08 AM
This year I will also be getting exposure at a local 18 hole golf course in our area.

That is very interesting! What got you to consider and go with this advertising method?

Growing Green
12-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Make sure you get listed on every yellow pages site you can find. Google search for them there are many business directories out there also. Many of them are free and all you need to do is put a logo from them on your website.

Yellowpages.com
magicyellow.com
superpages.com
yellowbook.com

google places
google maps
yahoo maps
bing maps

Look into merchantcircle.com. Also check into your local chamber of commerce they have many things to offer small businesses. Plus its a way to get to meet other business owners in your area. You just might get to do work for some of them. Most of them meet once or twice a month. After you have been in business a couple years join the Better Business Bureau in your area. People see their logo on your site and it gives you so much more credibility. It shows satisfaction in your work. I will be able to join them in 2011 and cant wait. Submit the site to the search engines.

I use print advertising too. Our local pennysaver has an annual business directory that they publish every year. I placed our logo in it with the yellow color to it and when you open that page it just explodes and you have no choice but to look at it. I expect that to be a big plus for us in the spring. I attached the page it is on so you can see the difference to just using a logo ad instead of just a normal word listing.

This year I will also be getting exposure at a local 18 hole golf course in our area. They get 40,000 rounds of golf a year and my advertising logo will be on the score cards the golfers use. That will cost me $395 for the whole year. I get a couple mulch jobs from it and the ad is paid for along with the payroll & supplies to do those jobs.

The other thing I do, the pennysaver has a section they call business directory, in the weekly pennysaver the whole page is for businesses to have their business card or small ad on a bulletin board looking page of the paper. You get 13 weeks for $20 a week. That reaches every resident in the whole town and village.

Thanks for this info! Really good stuff!

Steve
12-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I was thinking of working with indoor gardens

At first I missed this part but I bet there is work in it. I could see offering indoor plant care to offices and corporate centers as an important service. It could also potentially help you make contacts and in the future get their lawn care jobs as well.

jasonw
12-23-2010, 01:10 PM
At first I missed this part but I bet there is work in it. I could see offering indoor plant care to offices and corporate centers as an important service. It could also potentially help you make contacts and in the future get their lawn care jobs as well.

Thats my hope Steve. Seems it would be a year round service to me. I am working on the plans now to build a beautiful tropical garden with water fall and all just inside the office door.

jymie
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
That is very interesting! What got you to consider and go with this advertising method?

I was approached by an advertising agent for the golf course through the phone. What sold me was the cost of it. $395 for the whole year is awesome. There will be 21 total ads on the back of the score card. Mine being yellow for the most part I think will draw most of the attention when the back is looked at. With 40,000 rounds of golf a year at this particular golf course, I had to see what may come of it. If I get 1% business from it that will mean 400 new customers. I'll be hiring more employees then.

Steve
12-24-2010, 01:13 PM
I am working on the plans now to build a beautiful tropical garden with water fall and all just inside the office door.

I'd love to see some pictures of that!

Could you also mix in your love of reptiles too? Is there a way you could have an area where they could live?

If I get 1% business from it that will mean 400 new customers. I'll be hiring more employees then.

Keep us posted on how all that goes and if you decide to do it again next year.

jasonw
12-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd love to see some pictures of that!

Could you also mix in your love of reptiles too? Is there a way you could have an area where they could live?

Keep us posted on how all that goes and if you decide to do it again next year.

I don't have any pictures now but I for sure will share some when the work starts. I would love to incorporate reptiles into it but not sure how possible that is. I do plan on having a small pond with fish though

TheGoat
12-26-2010, 03:17 PM
With 40,000 rounds of golf a year at this particular golf course, I had to see what may come of it. If I get 1% business from it that will mean 400 new customers. I'll be hiring more employees then.

40,000 exposures is great but remember that each of those will not be unique views. Most golfers hit the links more than once a year. Ten rounds is a lot for some golfers, and a poor month for others, but I think 10 per golfer is a reasonable estimate and makes the numbers easier to do in my head...

that makes your target audience 4,000 rather than 40,000 and an expect return of 400 new clients 10% rather than 1%. I'd look for 40 new clients and be happy with 20.

That said though, I think this is a fantastic advertising avenue that hits a demographic that I think would likely hire a lawn service (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com).
They have money for games, they have time for games, maybe they wouldn't spending a little money for more time for games...

jasonw
12-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Yellowpages.com
magicyellow.com
superpages.com
yellowbook.com

google places
google maps
yahoo maps
bing maps

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for this. I have been extremely to busy to take the project on but today I am using your post as my morning to do list. Thanks again.

Steve
12-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Let us know how it works out.