PDA

View Full Version : Truck Wall Idea

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 02:58 AM
Today in another post a thought sparked my mind.

Enclosed trailers are almost impossible to haul anything in besides equipment (i.e: mulch, leaves, firewood, salt, rock etc.)
Most companies have low walled landscaping trailers..enough to hold equipment

OR
a trailer with high built walls to haul all the mulch leaves rock etc above

BUT
if you have a trailer to haul your debris. whats hauling your equipment?
and if you have a trailer hauling equipment..whats hauling your debris?

the awnser is
either another truck
or
you come back with a different trailer

am i right?

I have searched high and low for something remotely similar to what im about to show and i havnt come across a single thing.

All i need..is your honest and critisizing responses

how would this work?
would this work?
how it could be better?
if there is something like this already?
etc.

Below are some pictures i made up in a few minutes..not the best but you get the idea

the walls attach like a truck cap.
the back has a swinging door locked by 2 bolts.
you can lock the swing door to the side when dumping with the tailgate down.

Depending on if you think this would be useful or not. I will begin making a wooden prototype to plot everything out.

and then move to the actual materials.

let me know what your thoughts are!
thanks,
Justin

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 03:07 AM
i should also mention
when you remove the walls
they will be able to disconnect at one hinge so you can fold and store easily.

Steve
12-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Great idea!

You could do that not only for a truck but for trailers too!

You should come up with a catchy name and logo. Then put one together and maybe you could start selling them!

Try it out and see how it works. Maybe try it with another lawn care company too and get some testimonials.

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 05:47 PM
I looked up about how much it would be for a hot rolled steep bar and aluminum sheeting prototype and it will cost around 300$

I have seen people build onto walls of trailers but never a truck

Being able to have higher walls on your truck reduces the need for an extra truck or extra trip for that second debris trailer.

This would also be very effective if oyu have a hydraulic dumping system as well.

Steve
12-18-2010, 05:55 PM
What is the hot rolled steep bar part?

Can you do this yourself with a pipe bender?
http://www2.northerntool.com/metal-fabrication/benders-8.htm

bruces
12-18-2010, 06:02 PM
do you have some sort of a farmers store near you ? if so,go to tractor supply or whatever and ask about stake truck ,or tarp and rack hardware ,they have everything you need .Most systems like this use plywood or hardwood for the panels ,some use extruded aluminum uprights [pickets ] that have a groove on either side so you can slide a piece of plywood in them ,but others have hooks and rings to hold things together .You can tarp the load easily and hold the tarp down with either rubber bungy cords or rope .If you really wanted to get fancy,you can try to build a "curtainsider " which is basically a frame with a channel on the top and bottom that a tarp slides in allowing you to load or unload from anywhere along the length of the truck or trailer ,and once loaded,you pull the tarp back and drive off .

The Cleaning Doctor
12-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Here are some more ideas for you..... :eek:

Maybe you could come up with a counter weight idea also.:D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SBhUHaJ4mCI/AAAAAAAAAqQ/ZdG_7pYy6OU/s1600-h/overloaded-cart.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SBhTUqJ4mAI/AAAAAAAAAqA/V4YXXZ3VhQw/s1600-h/overloaded-truck.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SBmFjaJ4mOI/AAAAAAAAAr0/6Bivkt6roAk/s1600-h/overloaded-train.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SPWfOcanzYI/AAAAAAAACFM/vf_U38E-vNI/s1600-h/funny-photos-overloaded-bikes.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/STtZaodd2qI/AAAAAAAACdM/CBP0MooE-8U/s1600-h/overloaded-trunk-kids.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SWcD6WwRPzI/AAAAAAAADAg/SANMRjZVATI/s1600-h/another-overloaded-truck-funny.jpg

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 06:18 PM
hot rolled steel is just a type of steel

its a rectangular or square steel tubing

The framing (black in pics) will be the steel.

The walls will be a customer choice. Wood, Aluminum, Diamond plate. Maybe later the curtainsider idea.

For now. if they want to tarp it

i can install some sort of Button system. Get a heavy duty Rubber mat type tarp that can be rolled onthe side of the wall and then when they want to tarp it they can simply roll it over the other side and there will be a Button system..like on a coat but heavier duty buttons.. The Bungee Chord idea would look tacky to me. Im ok with doing it but i wouldnt sell it to someone expecting them to be happy with it.

Steve as for the bending machine
I wont need it

The frame will all be bolted together using L brackets for the prototype and then later on I will start welding the joints if i ever begin to sell them so its a solid piece of framing.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-18-2010, 07:23 PM
You can see my current set up in the trauck trailer contest. But I would like to move to either a set up like the pic Im attaching or getting a cab over with a dump bed. Then getting a smaller trailer to haul my equipment.

I love the high sides of my trailer, but I make it do all the work and if I want to get to my equipment after I pile all the stuff on it Im SOL till I get ride of it. Also with the dump bed, if and when tree work business scales up I can get a tow behind chipper.

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Mountain View thats exactly what made me think of this

you have high sides on your trailer which is great for debris and everything

but where does your equipment go?
you either need a second truck or second trip to get everything..

so why not utilize your truck bed?

right not its too low to hold alot of material but if you build the sides up youll hvae more than enough room.

I know stake trucks etc. have dump beds that can have boxes on them already
but this is for all the people who dont have one

who have a regular pickup
not just for lawn and landscape workers but for contractors, home owners, farm owners,

it can be extremely versitile and custom bult to your needs and your truck.

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Here are some more ideas for you..... :eek:

Maybe you could come up with a counter weight idea also.:D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SBhUHaJ4mCI/AAAAAAAAAqQ/ZdG_7pYy6OU/s1600-h/overloaded-cart.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SBhTUqJ4mAI/AAAAAAAAAqA/V4YXXZ3VhQw/s1600-h/overloaded-truck.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SBmFjaJ4mOI/AAAAAAAAAr0/6Bivkt6roAk/s1600-h/overloaded-train.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SPWfOcanzYI/AAAAAAAACFM/vf_U38E-vNI/s1600-h/funny-photos-overloaded-bikes.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/STtZaodd2qI/AAAAAAAACdM/CBP0MooE-8U/s1600-h/overloaded-trunk-kids.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1Y/SWcD6WwRPzI/AAAAAAAADAg/SANMRjZVATI/s1600-h/another-overloaded-truck-funny.jpg

Do you think the weight in the back would really play a big issue? as long as your hauling what your truck is rated for id imagine youd be fine..just because its increasing the volume of the area you can store stuff in dosnt make it any heavier..

if its an issue where your constantly hauling in the bed it would also be a smart idea to invest in getting better shocks in the back with a couple inches lifted..but i dont think it would be necessary

MAKLawnCutter
12-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I was looking into this myself at one point and just googled "SideBoards" and still havent found any.

As an additional part, you could always manufacture a "Leaf Box" that would go over the cab also, i plan on building one here in a few months to prep for a hurricane or some awesome storms...

Matt

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 08:38 PM
now that i think of it..it essentially is a leafbox but with no top.. it folds easy for storage..it has an optional tarp to go over top (and you can have the wire frames to increae your capacity) i included a pic of that.

To everyone who is reading or has replied.. is this something you feel you would utilize in your lineup? Do you feel this would be a good addition to your setup.

It could lower your fuel costs as well as saving you time and money for and extra crew to drive a seperate truck.

A port could be made for leaf vacuums into the box.

other attachments could be implemented as well..any suggestions?

MAKLawnCutter
12-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Ill take one, i need it to fit a 1987 F150 Long Bed (98" x 64"). Prefer a metal side but, i want it to come over the cab so i can mount fog lights to it and i dont want it to be able to fold, i want it to be as rigid as possible seeing as my truck is only used for landscaping and lawn maintenance.

I might have to contact a local welder... hmmm...

Matt

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Ill take one, i need it to fit a 1987 F150 Long Bed (98" x 64"). Prefer a metal side but, i want it to come over the cab so i can mount fog lights to it and i dont want it to be able to fold, i want it to be as rigid as possible seeing as my truck is only used for landscaping and lawn maintenance.

I might have to contact a local welder... hmmm...

Matt

Where are you located?

jklawncare
12-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Heres a quick picture i came up with, it has a light bar attached to the sides of the walls.

This could be a cool little attachment to offer as well..

The Cleaning Doctor
12-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Nah those were posted as a joke. I think you have a good idea going.

For someone that wants a permanent solution like MAK, take some design ideas from a over the cab ladder rack.

jklawncare
12-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Nah those were posted as a joke. I think you have a good idea going.

For someone that wants a permanent solution like MAK, take some design ideas from a over the cab ladder rack.

Thats a great idea it could also be a good place to store some things like shovels rakes weed eaters etc. EVEN A LADDER ahah

im gonna go to kmart tomorrow and buy a bigger toy truck and see if i can come up with some small prototypes and see what works best before i blow it up into a big prototype and waste 300 dollars

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Do you think the weight in the back would really play a big issue? as long as your hauling what your truck is rated for id imagine youd be fine..just because its increasing the volume of the area you can store stuff in dosnt make it any heavier..

if its an issue where your constantly hauling in the bed it would also be a smart idea to invest in getting better shocks in the back with a couple inches lifted..but i dont think it would be necessary

Lol an Air bag kit would be better and easier and cheaper probably then lifting and shocks. Now with that said be care full not to over load it. The air bags are ment to keep the load level not care more then your rated for.

jklawncare
12-19-2010, 12:54 PM
thats true

do you think this is something that would be used? do you think there is a market for it? would you yourself be interested in having one of these?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Im not really against it. But I just dont think its all that professional looking. I know what you mean as I said earlier I make the trailer do all the work. And I think there is a way to maximize the set up with high sides on the truck or even a flat bed with stake sides(or some variation) with the hydo dump ram. Or just a complete dump bed install.

I think thats meant more for the consummers that want to use their truck to do more. Witch is what you are trying to do but on a commercial level. I dont know what it is about ply wood but it just erks me. And even the sheet metal look sitting on top of the truck bed just isnt for me.

jklawncare
12-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Im not really against it. But I just dont think its all that professional looking. I know what you mean as I said earlier I make the trailer do all the work. And I think there is a way to maximize the set up with high sides on the truck or even a flat bed with stake sides(or some variation) with the hydo dump ram. Or just a complete dump bed install.

I think thats meant more for the consummers that want to use their truck to do more. Witch is what you are trying to do but on a commercial level. I dont know what it is about ply wood but it just erks me. And even the sheet metal look sitting on top of the truck bed just isnt for me.

I understand where your coming from. Do you think there is a way to maximize its appeal? what if we put a flat sheet metal over top with some sort of paint job..you could use it to advertise your company..
or even go a step farther and round the metal up top and color match it to look like a truck cap but with not top..

jklawncare
12-20-2010, 01:41 AM
this could even go a step farther and we could do some type of resin or fiberglass shell around it but i think that would be too complicated..or something to look at if it actually got into some sort of minor production

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Well to me what would look right is the siding on those dump trailers. its like 2x4 steel with sheet metal.

It propably over kill witch is why I would rather just replace the whole bed of the truck. But thats me. And thats expensive.

Your idea would deffinently be a cheaper alternative.

jklawncare
12-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Well to me what would look right is the siding on those dump trailers. its like 2x4 steel with sheet metal.

It propably over kill witch is why I would rather just replace the whole bed of the truck. But thats me. And thats expensive.

Your idea would deffinently be a cheaper alternative.

Thats what would be done with the metal

i would use the square steel tubing and metal sheeting behind it

it was planning on painting it black but i never showed a picture of it..instead i used diamond plate to show that it was metal