PDA

View Full Version : Yes or No

Creagers Lawns
12-17-2010, 10:03 PM
My wife's brother is selling one of his service trucks 2001 F-550 7.3 liter turbo diesel has 49000 mile on it. He said he would sell to me for $14,500 Anyone use this type of truck? and is price good? I've always used Jeeps in my business for snow and pulling my trailers, I see potential with this truck add a blizzard plow and I think it would be a good investment.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Can't comment on the price at all but that would be all the truck you would ever need. Nice and heavy for the snow stuff too....

jymie
12-18-2010, 03:48 AM
10 years old, a service truck and it only has 49000 miles on it? That has me wondering how he managed to keep such low miles on it over a 10 year span. I would have a mechanic check it out completely before paying that much for a 10 year old truck.

Growing Green
12-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree with Jymie on that one. Why so low of miles and why is it priced so high for a 10 year old vehicle? I would use www.kbb.com and get an estimate of how much it is worth.

Matt

Steve
12-18-2010, 03:44 PM
The thing I wonder is if it is just too much truck for a too specialized need? Do you need all that for plowing? Would it be better to have a pickup? Would it be more functional for you to have a pickup?

kevin_naecker
12-18-2010, 09:16 PM
From what i can see from the picture the truck is a 7.3L diesel(badge on door) 4x4(i see locking hubs) 1 ton with a service body. for 14k i would check that thinng out good and if it all checks out hand the man the money and run because that is a steal. i have 2 trucks with a 7.3L and it is the best ford motor in my opinion. 4x4 typicaly does not come in a commercial trucks unless it was ordered so you will have a heavy duty leaf spring pakage in the front end great for plowing and money you didnt have to spend. the truck bed will come in handy big time you can keep a ton of tools in them and locked up and still put a pallet in the bed. i would say HELL YEA. or i will buy it

Creagers Lawns
12-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I agree with Jymie on that one. Why so low of miles and why is it priced so high for a 10 year old vehicle? I would use www.kbb.com and get an estimate of how much it is worth.

Matt

I would say because of low miles and no rust he was actually going to advertise it for 21000 but I've been looking to buy a heavy duty truck that i could keep tools in. He sells all his vehiclesaround 50,000 miles for some reason He bought a 2011 same set up to replace that one and it was $60,000 no way would I buy a new one

Creagers Lawns
12-19-2010, 09:46 AM
The thing I wonder is if it is just too much truck for a too specialized need? Do you need all that for plowing? Would it be better to have a pickup? Would it be more functional for you to have a pickup?

Looking more for tool storage but will add plow, I do lot of home maintenance things for extra income when things are slow so have lot of tools I wouldnt normally carry just doing lawns

Creagers Lawns
12-19-2010, 09:59 AM
10 years old, a service truck and it only has 49000 miles on it? That has me wondering how he managed to keep such low miles on it over a 10 year span. I would have a mechanic check it out completely before paying that much for a 10 year old truck.

He has a large air conditioning business employs bout 175 people and his techs take trucks home with them and they work very tight are close to their house and all parts they need are brought to them in the field from a little truck gas saver Did have mechanic look and he said he's never seen a truck in that good of shape, engine bay very clean no leaks, only thing he seen was it had original tires and said they are getting close to needing replaced, the back of bed between tool boxes has been rhino lined. He is going to give me all the maintenance records for truck if I buy it

Paineless Creations
12-19-2010, 10:46 AM
7.3L is the best Engine out there. In 2004 Ford came out with a 6.0L and alot of people hate it and wish they still had a 7.3L.

Creagers Lawns
12-19-2010, 11:15 AM
7.3L is the best Engine out there. In 2004 Ford came out with a 6.0L and alot of people hate it and wish they still had a 7.3L.

I've heard that, only reason i'm considering this purchase I'm not really a ford person but I have heard good on the 7.3 and for the condition this truck is in and price I think it would be a good addition to my biz F-550 might be little overkill but I think it would be better suited for plowing then something smaller, Don't get me wrong I love my jeeps with plows easy to manuever kinda like having a UTV but more power.

bruces
12-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I used to have a fleet of 20 one ton ford diesel vans doing mine site deliveries,the old [94 down] non powerstroke engines would go 750,000 km before the rest of the van was done ,the 94 up powerstrokes wouldnt get to 200,000 km without very expensive engine repairs doing the identical work with the same drivers and maintenance schedules .That truck probably has 19 inch tires [very expensive around here] and unless you really load up the back heavy,will float over the snow much like a jeep with big tires which really doesnt make for a great plow truck .At the time I owned a commercial truck and trailer repair shop ,took care of about 80 diesel fords and the powerstrokes were a huge moneymaker for me ,except the ones I owned .

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-19-2010, 11:57 AM
I used to have a fleet of 20 one ton ford diesel vans doing mine site deliveries,the old [94 down] non powerstroke engines would go 750,000 km before the rest of the van was done ,the 94 up powerstrokes wouldnt get to 200,000 km without very expensive engine repairs doing the identical work with the same drivers and maintenance schedules .That truck probably has 19 inch tires [very expensive around here] and unless you really load up the back heavy,will float over the snow much like a jeep with big tires which really doesnt make for a great plow truck .At the time I owned a commercial truck and trailer repair shop ,took care of about 80 diesel fords and the powerstrokes were a huge moneymaker for me ,except the ones I owned .

He should have plent of weight over the rear tires with that service body on back. Plus the weight of the tools. And those vans arent the greatest anywhere... used to drive one. The weight is carried differently on those vans and the tires are like pontoons.

bruces
12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
we would average a few tons in the back of those vans [mainly diesel engines ,huge differentials,transmisions etc. ],awesome traction .I am thinking the service box is aluminum ,maybe 1000 lbs ? mechanics tools are very heavy,but if they are carpentry tools there really isnt much weight there,especially with two 19 or 19.5 inch 14 ply tires per rear corner .It really all depends on what he's filling the box with ,but I would say anything less than about 3000 lbs he would be better off with something else .

Creagers Lawns
12-19-2010, 05:08 PM
He should have plent of weight over the rear tires with that service body on back. Plus the weight of the tools. And those vans arent the greatest anywhere... used to drive one. The weight is carried differently on those vans and the tires are like pontoons.

They use the F-550 alot in my area for Tow trucks and they seem to get around good with 4x4 I would definately purchase a more aggressive 19.5 tire to help traction

Creagers Lawns
12-19-2010, 05:23 PM
we would average a few tons in the back of those vans [mainly diesel engines ,huge differentials,transmisions etc. ],awesome traction .I am thinking the service box is aluminum ,maybe 1000 lbs ? mechanics tools are very heavy,but if they are carpentry tools there really isnt much weight there,especially with two 19 or 19.5 inch 14 ply tires per rear corner .It really all depends on what he's filling the box with ,but I would say anything less than about 3000 lbs he would be better off with something else .

I just checked internet on price of 19.5 tires they are proud of them bout 362.00 a tire looking at this truck in a different way now thats kind of high for tires

The Cleaning Doctor
12-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Back up the horses....

I just read that this is a F550..... Is that correct?

If so before you even think about purchasing, talk to your auto insurance agent. Some insurance companies consider that a heavy duty truck (which it is) but the upcharge for the insurance more than offsets any advantage you will get.

kevin_naecker
12-19-2010, 07:01 PM
best deal you will find you can swap the body for a dump, reg bed whatever. look around you can get a great deal on tires just shop the truck is a deal of a life time. like you said creager the guy selling it just got a new one for 60 grand and guess what ford hasent kept the same motor in a truck for over 4 years since the international 7.3L. you have a great deal drive it for 5 years and still sell it for more then what you paid.

Creagers Lawns
12-19-2010, 08:35 PM
best deal you will find you can swap the body for a dump, reg bed whatever. look around you can get a great deal on tires just shop the truck is a deal of a life time. like you said creager the guy selling it just got a new one for 60 grand and guess what ford hasent kept the same motor in a truck for over 4 years since the international 7.3L. you have a great deal drive it for 5 years and still sell it for more then what you paid.

Thanks kevin I think I will get it I'm buying it from my brother in law he buys fleet and said he has some one he gets tires from cheap as far as the service body I'll keep it need the storage for tools and I was going to add a gas compressor on top of one of the boxes so I can have air if needed. My customers are unique I was doing a fence repair the other day and lady came out asked if I could replace the valve in her toilet. I do alot of other service work besides just mowing and snow removal and this will be nice to have all my tools with me at all times, only so much I can get in my jeeps

Creagers Lawns
12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
And for snow plows I seen a you tube video on a hiniker C-plow any ideas I have never seen a plow like this Is it a hiniker exclusive the back drag capabilitie would be good, my jeeps I use Sno-way only cause of being lightweight What is everyone else using for plows?

Creagers Lawns
12-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Back up the horses....

I just read that this is a F550..... Is that correct?

If so before you even think about purchasing, talk to your auto insurance agent. Some insurance companies consider that a heavy duty truck (which it is) but the upcharge for the insurance more than offsets any advantage you will get.

F-550 is correct Insurance man told me Full coverage would cost me $62 a month so bout $750 a year we have everything insured through same agent so I'm not that worried about insurance we get big discounts

The Cleaning Doctor
12-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Well in that case go for it.

I had a friend that bought a 550 and then went to get insurance. His 450 was around $800 but this 550 was going to run $2200.

jklawncare
12-20-2010, 12:33 AM
i think i would see what else is out there with close or the same ammount of power.. you dont need a whole lot to push some snow around..get something with a good transmission package and power.

This sure would have some power but i think it would have too much
plus running a 7+ litre engine will run you up the wall in gas if its a regular driver

also im not sure if its a diesel or not but putting a plow on a diesel truck just isnt a good idea..

also the tool box bed takes away from the lawn care
if i saw you down the road id think..electrician..plumber..nipsco..not lawn care..
plus

what will you use those spaces for? some gloves? trimmer line? maybe a bungee chord or 2? id look into getting a standard or extended bed.

For the truck it may be a good deal..but its just not practical for the line of work..

Creagers Lawns
12-20-2010, 02:04 PM
i think i would see what else is out there with close or the same ammount of power.. you dont need a whole lot to push some snow around..get something with a good transmission package and power.

This sure would have some power but i think it would have too much
plus running a 7+ litre engine will run you up the wall in gas if its a regular driver

also im not sure if its a diesel or not but putting a plow on a diesel truck just isnt a good idea..

also the tool box bed takes away from the lawn care
if i saw you down the road id think..electrician..plumber..nipsco..not lawn care..
plus

what will you use those spaces for? some gloves? trimmer line? maybe a bungee chord or 2? id look into getting a standard or extended bed.

For the truck it may be a good deal..but its just not practical for the line of work..

as i quoted earlier I provide more services then just lawn and snow I do tree work, gutter clean out, window washing, power washing, holiday lighting, home maintenance work, I have alot of tools and at present I have to go back to the house if customer ask for other work while im mowing if I have everything on truck I cut down my wasted drive time, as far as diesels for pushing snow thats all they use in my area we get a $hit ton of snow my two jeeps that I have now for pushing snow have been outfitted with cummins diesels

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-20-2010, 04:10 PM
lol Im a little confused at the diesel truck comment not being good for pushing snow? How is it not?

Creagers Lawns
12-20-2010, 11:51 PM
lol Im a little confused at the diesel truck comment not being good for pushing snow? How is it not?

I'm really confused majority here use diesel I didn't get the reason either

TheGoat
12-21-2010, 07:32 AM
I would love to have that truck for my lawn service (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com). Though for my uses I'd probably get rid of the utility box and put on a dovetail.