PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone Im new to this site.

platinumstone
12-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Hi guy's Im new to this site I've been in the hardscape business a few years now on my own and it's been a hard road not knowing the business part of it. Im looking to branch from the hardscaping into the landscaping.I think I've done things backwards compared to most companies because most companies start with the maintenance first. My ultimate goal is to have work even through the winter. But everyone is cutting everyones throat with there prices. I seen some guy doing residential driveways for $20 salt included. Any tips you can give me are greatly appreciated. Anyways if you want to check out my website it's www.platinumstonedesign.ca. Anyone from GTA?

Steve
12-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi,

Welcome to our forum!

Your site looks fantastic!

I've been in the hardscape business a few years now on my own and it's been a hard road not knowing the business part of it

What parts of the business end of things have you found difficult so far?

I think I've done things backwards compared to most companies because most companies start with the maintenance first

What was your reason for starting this way?

platinumstone
12-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I think that I was weak at sales I was great with the customers but I was under charging and not turning the proper profit. Also the accounting part of it I had no idea about business or how to keep up the books I was a stone guy not a books guy. I just got sick of cutting corners and the company I worked for making money not caring about the homeowners that I thought that if they can make money doing it poorly surely I can make money doing it properly. I still remember the day my boss said to me after I complained that the base was improper for car traffic he said I don't pay you to think I pay you to work. So when He seen me doing a large project on my own he said why couldn't you do that for me I said you didn't pay me to think you paid me to work!:D

Steve
12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
you didn't pay me to think you paid me to work
That is a great retort! I bet it must have made him think.

What do you think caused him to go down that road of under-performing and overcharging for it?

Do you feel he could have done a better job if he wanted? If so, why didn't he?

Also, what do you feel will keep you from ultimately going down the same road as him?