PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever think of just giving up?

Steve
12-15-2010, 05:23 PM
We all know how tough it is to get a business started and for many of you that post, you have pushed through quite a bit and overcome many obstacles.

A lot of those who just read may not have your experiences.

My question to you is this, have you ever gotten to a point where you just about quit? If so, what happened and how did you get through it?

What do you feel was the lesson to be learned from it?

jklawncare
12-15-2010, 05:28 PM
We all know how tough it is to get a business started and for many of you that post, you have pushed through quite a bit and overcome many obstacles.

My question to you is this, have you ever gotten to a point where you just about quit? If so, what happened and how did you get through it?

not only did i get to the point..i did quit..and i regret it with every bit of me..
im starting up first thing this spring to try and get back on top where i was before and hopefully even bigger

better name
better logo
better work ethic

you learn from your mistakes
and this sure was a mistake

when things get rough..deal with it..ahaha

hopefully this year will be a good one

Hedgemaster
12-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Irony.

As you were typing this question, I was downstairs "discussing" things with my wife. It's as close as I've come to quitting.

Winter is here - there are STILL things(paperwork) I need to get filed for tax purposes, and as I hadn't yet sent in my application for my municipality's home occupancy permit, I got a letter today reminding me that it's illegal to operate a business without doing so. (Apparently they get a notice when someone files a fictitious name application)

No work - winter came early. We don't have enough snow yet to use my two stage snowthrower (Ugh. should have bought a single stage), and I still have questions about how to handle snow removal contracts.

I don't think I'm going to be able to make this work this winter - I will need to find a part time job at a minimum. Things suck at the moment, but when my wife asked if I was saying I wanted to "give up" on the lawn care business idea, I said, "No".

I think I'll be OK if I can make it through the winter.

MAKLawnCutter
12-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Irony.

As you were typing this question, I was downstairs "discussing" things with my wife. It's as close as I've come to quitting.

Winter is here - there are STILL things(paperwork) I need to get filed for tax purposes, and as I hadn't yet sent in my application for my municipality's home occupancy permit, I got a letter today reminding me that it's illegal to operate a business without doing so. (Apparently they get a notice when someone files a fictitious name application)

No work - winter came early. We don't have enough snow yet to use my two stage snowthrower (Ugh. should have bought a single stage), and I still have questions about how to handle snow removal contracts.

I don't think I'm going to be able to make this work this winter - I will need to find a part time job at a minimum. Things suck at the moment, but when my wife asked if I was saying I wanted to "give up" on the lawn care business idea, I said, "No".

I think I'll be OK if I can make it through the winter.

I have posted about my trial and tribulations but, It seems a lot of people are getting hit with the society-****-hole that is happening right now. This winter has hit early, hard and heavy. Extreme droughts, insane amounts of snow and low snow amounts in others.

2010 has been my year of triumph.

I have done my "domination" here in Daytona Beach as i planned, i got 11calls so far since monday on advertising i put out two weeks ago, my commercial accounts go "active" in January and i just picked up 5 residential accounts less than 8 minutes from the new place.

All this business takes is a Strive to make it all happen. You can pull your *** out of a hard place if you put 100% into it. Cut certain expences out or decrease them as you see fit (cellphone, car insurance, lighter trailer, decrease your equipment count, ect.)

To own a business you must become business minded.

If anyone needs ANY assistance in any way possible, i am here to help in anyway i can (other than financial, i have a kid due in a month). I can give you pointers, advertising help, image assistance. I will donate my time for FREE in helping anyone in any way i can.

Matt

CHEESE2009
12-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Times get tough, but the fact being my own boss and owning my own company is better than anything out there, I suppose.

There have come times where I've had discussions where I've admitted to hating my company, how it's a burden and takes the point of living away
- it's consuming in all aspects and becomes an addiction.

This business has been good, it's doing it's job, but it leaves no time for me. I miss the days where I had absolutely nothing going through my mind,
right now my mind is cluttered. I allow it, because it's productive and I have nothing better to due... fills a gap and keeps me out of trouble.

Everything good I do, the company takes the credit - not from my customers, but from myself. Do you understand? I never give myself applause. Should I? Probably!

Sometimes I feel as if I do not own this company, and I'm the worker who the boss hates and never sees the light of day. "Scott, fix this problem you got yourself into"

It's a lot of pressure for someone like me. I don't know how I am supposed to be;

I have spent all my life training to tell people what they want to hear sometimes for my personal gain or interest, to make this "great impression" with people and to mask my own feelings - I'm pro. I have a hard time understanding emotions and rarely do I express my own - when I do I end up hurting feelings - recent family situation had me tell my own mother
"You know... for some reason I could never see anyone in this family again and I wouldn't feel anything" I then had to explain several reasons;;;

Mother asked about my brother, I said "I find him childish, older than me but always my littler brother to me with no brain of his own to use - he's pathetic and a waste of my time.

My mother responded, "but he says you guys like hanging out"

I said, "Yes, that's his opinion - personally it's dreadful for me"

My mother asked about my sister, I said,
"She may be in education, but she's still an idiot/bimbo to me. She's getting married and is pregnant to a guy she just met out of desperation. She could never meet a decent guy in a club, yet that's all she's been aiming for her entire life. I have no idea who she is, but she's just labeled as "sister" and nothing more - It's not like we've bonded, ever.

Then she asked about my stepfather... a lot of truth came out and I said;

"He's not a father to me, I could live with a stepfather - he's just nothing like a father at all. He's been with us from the time I was born, but I still have no idea who he is. All I know is his name, place of work, and that he has a chip on his shoulder. I don't miss having a dad, never experienced it.. might have been nice but I don't mind at all. I don't know why you guys are together, probably a financial reason - your secret is safe with me and understood. I also said I'm a little messed up in the head (it's the rumor) most likely from him. "Scott, friends will only bring you down - you don't need them" engraved into my brain, thinking of him as a role model when I was just a kid.
Or even, "Don't bother with relationships, it's a waste."

^ It's not something said as a joke or small talk, he actually sat me down and made me understand him on occasion... Like lessons. I am older, and know better - I just can't change myself.

She then asked about herself, I said;
You are my best friend, but I actually don't like you. You did a good thing being with my stepfather, as it would have been tough on you with 3 kids with a crappy job. Smart. Unfortunately you are scared of him (stepfather), to the point you can't live your own life... Everything you do has to be careful, to make sure he doesn't leave you - you'd have nothing and it would be too hard to adapt to anything less than what he provides. You make me sick, when the only time you mention his name is with fear. (she always used to say things like, "Your stepfather is coming home, fix this, go to your room, bla bla) as if he's going to kill us or something.... Something even I know he wouldn't do, he's not that bad, not physically (he was), he does a lot of damage mentally instead. Parents sleep in separate rooms, mother waits around for him all day, she gets treated like crap... Stepfather works ALL day, which isn't necessary.

My stepfather tried to make me feel less of people who aren't like him, or him in general. It backfired and only made me want him to disappear. Some things are engraved in me, like "being busy" is a must, if I'm not busy I am worthless.

Sorry I'm full of writing tonight, had a few to drink!

Unfortunately, I don't have experience being real with people and solely looking out for what I want - especially when it comes to letting people down. I can pull off an emotion, I can just hardly feel it.

I hung out with my new 'friends' from the depanure(gas station) I wrote about meeting recently. It was awkward, truth be told they enjoyed my company but thought it was weird for me to have no one else as friends. I told them I'm a good friend, but for a very short time.

EXAMPLE: I have one friend I see every few months, he is a nice guy I suppose and he is 'there'. The only time I see him is accidentally. He then asks if I want to hangout.. I promised 4 times recently, 4 days in a row and ignored his calls afterwards - breaking my promise. He has not given up on me, knows I'm a little "off", which is cool... He's a big loser personally, so it's my advantage knowing he wont be going anywhere.

My 'friends' from the depanure(gas station) saw my phone ring several times and asked what's up.

Scott: Oh that's my friend.

Dep guy: Aren't you going to answer?

Scott: He's my best friend and understands.

Dep guy: What's to understand?

Scott: I'm an awful friend, he knows.

^hahaha

I realized the reason I'm still doing this business, I love being alone.
I love the heck out of it. They thought of it as weird, but honestly I'm all I need, no problems!

When I have a question, I'll ask others just to be sociable - I'm sure most of us do. It just hit me, and after awhile of being to myself I got used to it and didn't have any drama or irregular problems - just me! My stepfathers words came true to me.

Imagine what it's like for a girl to be with me, hahaha. They love the hell out of me because I say what they want to hear and know what to do, but I drive them crazy (seriously) they will attack me eventually trying to figure me out. I'm lucky I'm not hideous or uneducated.

Sorry for the post, as I said I had a few drinks and love to spill every now and then. I had a good night.

For the record, when I'm lonely.. It just means I'm boring myself. lol

mark123
12-16-2010, 06:43 AM
The only time I wanted to give up and quit was when I was working for someone else. Now that I work for myself I feel freedom. I no longer have to meet unrealistic deadlines, I can choose to turn down a rotten customer, making just enough for the day is finally good enough. I don't put superhuman expectations on myself and I'm happy. Sure, it's rough sometimes but I have faith and Jesus is proven good.

MAKLawnCutter
12-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Times get tough, but the fact being my own boss and owning my own company is better than anything out there, I suppose.

There have come times where I've had discussions where I've admitted to hating my company, how it's a burden and takes the point of living away

This business has been good, it's doing it's job, but it leaves no time for me. I miss the days where I had absolutely nothing going through my mind,
right now my mind is cluttered. I allow it, because it's productive and I have nothing better to due... fills a gap and keeps me out of trouble.

Everything good I do, the company takes the credit - not from my customers, but from myself. Do you understand? I never give myself applause. Should I? Probably!

Sometimes I feel as if I do not own this company, and I'm the worker who the boss hates and never sees the light of day. "Scott, fix this problem you got yourself into"

It's a lot of pressure for someone like me. I don't know how I am supposed to be;

I have spent all my life training to tell people what they want to hear sometimes for my personal gain or interest, to make this "great impression" with people and to mask my own feelings - I'm pro. I have a hard time understanding emotions and rarely do I express my own - when I do I end up hurting feelings - recent family situation had me tell my own mother
"You know... for some reason I could never see anyone in this family again and I wouldn't feel anything" I then had to explain several reasons;;;

Mother asked about my brother, I said "I find him childish, older than me but always my littler brother to me with no brain of his own to use - he's pathetic and a waste of my time.

"She may be in education, but she's still an idiot/bimbo to me. She's getting married and is pregnant to a guy she just met out of desperation. She could never meet a decent guy in a club, yet that's all she's been aiming for her entire life. I have no idea who she is, but she's just labeled as "sister" and nothing more - It's not like we've bonded, ever.

"He's not a father to me, I could live with a stepfather - he's just nothing like a father at all. He's been with us from the time I was born, but I still have no idea who he is. All I know is his name, place of work, and that he has a chip on his shoulder. I don't miss having a dad, never experienced it.. might have been nice but I don't mind at all. I don't know why you guys are together, probably a financial reason - your secret is safe with me and understood. I also said I'm a little messed up in the head (it's the rumor) most likely from him. "Scott, friends will only bring you down - you don't need them" engraved into my brain, thinking of him as a role model when I was just a kid.

^ It's not something said as a joke or small talk, he actually sat me down and made me understand him on occasion... Like lessons. I am older, and know better - I just can't change myself.

You are my best friend, but I actually don't like you. You did a good thing being with my stepfather, as it would have been tough on you with 3 kids with a crappy job. Smart. Unfortunately you are scared of him (stepfather), to the point you can't live your own life... Everything you do has to be careful, to make sure he doesn't leave you - you'd have nothing and it would be too hard to adapt to anything less than what he provides. You make me sick, when the only time you mention his name is with fear. (she always used to say things like, "Your stepfather is coming home, fix this, go to your room, bla bla) as if he's going to kill us or something.... Something even I know he wouldn't do, he's not that bad, not physically (he was), he does a lot of damage mentally instead. Parents sleep in separate rooms, mother waits around for him all day, she gets treated like crap... Stepfather works ALL day, which isn't necessary.

My stepfather tried to make me feel less of people who aren't like him, or him in general. It backfired and only made me want him to disappear. Some things are engraved in me, like "being busy" is a must, if I'm not busy I am worthless.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience being real with people and solely looking out for what I want - especially when it comes to letting people down. I can pull off an emotion, I can just hardly feel it.

I hung out with my new 'friends' from the depanure(gas station) I wrote about meeting recently. It was awkward, truth be told they enjoyed my company but thought it was weird for me to have no one else as friends. I told them I'm a good friend, but for a very short time.

EXAMPLE: I have one friend I see every few months, he is a nice guy I suppose and he is 'there'. The only time I see him is accidentally. He then asks if I want to hangout.. I promised 4 times recently, 4 days in a row and ignored his calls afterwards - breaking my promise. He has not given up on me, knows I'm a little "off", which is cool... He's a big loser personally, so it's my advantage knowing he wont be going anywhere.

My 'friends' from the depanure(gas station) saw my phone ring several times and asked what's up.

^hahaha

I love the heck out of it. They thought of it as weird, but honestly I'm all I need, no problems!

When I have a question, I'll ask others just to be sociable - I'm sure most of us do. It just hit me, and after awhile of being to myself I got used to it and didn't have any drama or irregular problems - just me! My stepfathers words came true to me.

Imagine what it's like for a girl to be with me, hahaha. They love the hell out of me because I say what they want to hear and know what to do, but I drive them crazy (seriously) they will attack me eventually trying to figure me out. I'm lucky I'm not hideous or uneducated.

Sorry for the post, as I said I had a few drinks and love to spill every now and then. I had a good night.

"A few drinks"

Scott, how many is a "few" lol, and answering yourself in conversation is fine, it always makes me feel like i have friends too lol.

Matt

CHEESE2009
12-16-2010, 03:48 PM
"A few drinks"

Scott, how many is a "few" lol,t

One drink ;), trust me I have a lot more to say and I'm happy of what I wrote.
I have a lot of new things to take care of now that I think of it.

I love winter.

JLH Pro Lawn Care
12-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Hey I'm in Daytona also and I can't say that it's been easy here but I know the spring is coming, learned alot in the last few months and have thought of quitting but I'll be on the grass again soon.. Sucks that it's as slow here as it is.

saw your craigslist adds they look good:-)

hello from a fellow Daytona lawn guy workin to make it happen.
I have posted about my trial and tribulations but, It seems a lot of people are getting hit with the society-****-hole that is happening right now. This winter has hit early, hard and heavy. Extreme droughts, insane amounts of snow and low snow amounts in others.

2010 has been my year of triumph.

I have done my "domination" here in Daytona Beach as i planned, i got 11calls so far since monday on advertising i put out two weeks ago, my commercial accounts go "active" in January and i just picked up 5 residential accounts less than 8 minutes from the new place.

All this business takes is a Strive to make it all happen. You can pull your *** out of a hard place if you put 100% into it. Cut certain expences out or decrease them as you see fit (cellphone, car insurance, lighter trailer, decrease your equipment count, ect.)

To own a business you must become business minded.

If anyone needs ANY assistance in any way possible, i am here to help in anyway i can (other than financial, i have a kid due in a month). I can give you pointers, advertising help, image assistance. I will donate my time for FREE in helping anyone in any way i can.

Matt

jasonw
12-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Every day brother. Not a day goes by where the thought dose not cross my mind. I F-ed up big time this year and we never fully recovered. Now I am unemployed and working for myself full time with $130 in my business account.

TheGoat
12-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Never.
I was in the Navy for 8 years, and I'm done working for the government.
I worked for Intel and Micron for 2 years and I'm done working a corporate job.
I started working for myself this year and I have never been happier. My lawn service is something that I look forward to working on every day.

jasonw
12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Never.
I was in the Navy for 8 years, and I'm done working for the government.
I worked for Intel and Micron for 2 years and I'm done working a corporate job.
I started working for myself this year and I have never been happier. My lawn service is something that I look forward to working on every day.

Did you have to deal with a pay cut moving from those seemingly high profile jobs into lawn care? If so how did you deal with that?

TheGoat
12-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Did you have to deal with a pay cut moving from those seemingly high profile jobs into lawn care? If so how did you deal with that?

Yes, but the quality of life I enjoy now is much higher. In the Navy, you deploy. You miss the birth of children, holidays, birthdays, and huge chunks of time in their lives besides that.

The place I lived while working in the semiconductor industry had an extremely high cost of living and I was not happy there besides. I had more time off than when I was in the navy though.

I am much happier now, I actually make more hourly now than when I was fixing semicon production equipment, and I get to choose exactly how much I work on my lawn service.

hawthornelawncare
01-06-2011, 02:24 AM

Well i can say i have thought about quiting. Had my hand held equipment stolen and been hard starting from scratch. Being im out of work as it is. I finally got some equipment replaced and got marketing material already to go. Just feel that things wont go like i want them to. I dont expect to become rich or anything. (even though would be nice). Just want to make enough to be living and have a little extra. I learned that you cant give up to quick. there will be down falls and set backs. But stick in there and things will come out right

Onegirl
01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I have only been in business for 6 months. I have already experienced nonpayments, the job not good enough, other lawn services coming behind me trying to take my clients, all types of mechanical failures, and under bidding a job. All these obstacles and I am still here. I have thought many, many times is this really worth it? Why am I even doing this? Where is the light at the end of this dark tunnel?
I took on a job that I thought I could handle. Boy was I wrong. The first day it seemed like none of my equipment wasn't working, it was hot, the grass was thick, the ditches were deep and the fence line went on forever. I talked to the owner of the company explained to him that this was a bit more than expected and if he could work with me on time. He did and he appreciated my honesty. I faced the headache and went to work instead of either walking away or doing a careless job. I am still taking care of their property, he has now offered me a new landscaping project and the maintenance of his home.
Everything that has happened to me I turn it into a learning experience. Look at the opportunity I was given all because I did not give up. Might as well experience the trials now why I am still growing so that way I know how to handle them in the future. Yes I said future. I am not giving up. I will overcome. This is worth it. I love my job. I love my business. I love everything that I do and yes I even like most of my clients. That is one of the important factors to doing this kind of business. You need to like what you are doing. The only way you can make your clients happy is if you are happy. I believe this whole heartily.

All things in live are what you make of them. Love life, learn from your mistakes, and grow with every opportunity given to you. It is all worth it in the long haul.

Growing Green
01-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I have only been in business for 6 months. I have already experienced nonpayments, the job not good enough, other lawn services coming behind me trying to take my clients, all types of mechanical failures, and under bidding a job. All these obstacles and I am still here. I have thought many, many times is this really worth it? Why am I even doing this? Where is the light at the end of this dark tunnel?
I took on a job that I thought I could handle. Boy was I wrong. The first day it seemed like none of my equipment wasn't working, it was hot, the grass was thick, the ditches were deep and the fence line went on forever. I talked to the owner of the company explained to him that this was a bit more than expected and if he could work with me on time. He did and he appreciated my honesty. I faced the headache and went to work instead of either walking away or doing a careless job. I am still taking care of their property, he has now offered me a new landscaping project and the maintenance of his home.
Everything that has happened to me I turn it into a learning experience. Look at the opportunity I was given all because I did not give up. Might as well experience the trials now why I am still growing so that way I know how to handle them in the future. Yes I said future. I am not giving up. I will overcome. This is worth it. I love my job. I love my business. I love everything that I do and yes I even like most of my clients. That is one of the important factors to doing this kind of business. You need to like what you are doing. The only way you can make your clients happy is if you are happy. I believe this whole heartily.

All things in live are what you make of them. Love life, learn from your mistakes, and grow with every opportunity given to you. It is all worth it in the long haul.

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing, very encouraging!

fairgreen
01-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I just read all of your post. You sound alot like me just a little over a year ago. You should try to find yourself a nice non denominational church to attend. I was never a real big "church person" but once you find the right place to find HIM it makes all the difference in the world brother. You will start to actually feel again. It does take time and it does take some letting go...but brother it's worth it.

^hahaha

prescott
01-06-2011, 06:23 PM
pretty much made the decision. Winter is usually slow, but we've had a lot of snow this winter. That along with the economy, people here in N. AZ just will not pay for quality service. Just did my paperwork for 2010; what a joke.Gross was 26k, after expenses of 9k, that is the joke. I'm just not going to suffer another winter or work for nothing. I have a good work ethic & do a quality job (according to my clients). Maybe I'm just a terrible business man. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent...

pilgrim
Complete Landscape Services :confused:

RSE
01-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Hey now.....
There have been times in this "career" I have seriously thought of throwing in the towel and calling it quits. Sometimes we just have one of those days (or weeks) when nothing goes right, customers are angry, money is scarce and moral is down. I can even relate to the best of you when the bottom falls out. Its all relevant.
One day not too long ago I was approached by my competition (actually, he is a good friend of mine) and he asked me if maybe I was willing to merge. You see, his company is 9 times the size of mine. I sat and thought long and hard about this. I could utilize my talents to service many more customers, not worry so much about costly downtime, unload customer bulls#it onto his shoulders and have a steady 40+hr paycheck that wifey would like to see.
On the other hand, I would be turning my back on the relationships and personnal service I currently offer. I have a small airport transport business I would have to give up. I would have to learn what its like to take orders from someone else on the properties I already call the shots on. I would not make those cash deal jobs, I would be changing alot.....
So, I sat down with him and politley refused. I explained much of the above and that I can't risk our friendship if all went wrong. He told me good, he liked the way I thought and shared the contents of his beer fridge with me.
This is about as close as I've gotten to quitting. I could easily see how you others get discouraged, ripped off, told no and all the other factors that would qualify for abandoning the ship.
Just remember and old Chinese prophet once said, "its better to be pissed off than to be pissed on":D

Good Luck to all out there!!!!!

Steve
01-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Just did my paperwork for 2010; what a joke.Gross was 26k, after expenses of 9k, that is the joke. I'm just not going to suffer another winter or work for nothing. I have a good work ethic & do a quality job (according to my clients). Maybe I'm just a terrible business man.

What is your view on where you would have liked it to be and what do you attribute to the differences?

mark123
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
pretty much made the decision. Winter is usually slow, but we've had a lot of snow this winter. That along with the economy, people here in N. AZ just will not pay for quality service. Just did my paperwork for 2010; what a joke.Gross was 26k, after expenses of 9k, that is the joke. I'm just not going to suffer another winter or work for nothing. I have a good work ethic & do a quality job (according to my clients). Maybe I'm just a terrible business man. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent... 2009 was my first year on my own, I made $6k. In 2010, my second year, I think I made $12k. Personally, I'm a bit proud of that. It's so much better than sitting around and waiting for a handout or complaining that you won't take a job for less than your last job paid you.

prescott
01-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks to all of you that replyed to my post. I don't mind criticism, & always willing listen. I don't take handouts from anyone, not even the gov. I suppose part of my frustration stems from the fact that I feel I have done the right things to promote my bussiness. Passed out fliers, nice custom business cards, answer another customers questions in a Home Depot, etc. I present a neat, clean image, 4yro trk, new trailer, co. lettering on the trk. The job isn't finished until the client is satisfied(within reason). With a new or prospective client I explain how I will do the job & why I will use certain procedures. If I give you my word, you can take it to the bank.

Not trying to pat myself on the back, but that's just the way I was raised back in the day. Having said all that...

I'm sure I lack in certain business savoy. I realize I will not always make the same amount of money on all my jobs. Kind of have to go with the flow so to speak. I tend to base the price of jobs as they come, as opposed to having a set schedule on how I bid a job. That & i believe I let the clients low-ball me.When I try not to let that happen with a new client, they tell me they can't afford it. I try to bid my jobs on a $20 p/hr rate. Some of the people I buy material & equipment from have told me, straight out that I should'nt let people low-ball me.

One area that i have a REAL problem with is growing my business. For some reason that part of running a business remains a mystery to me? I've benn at this for 4 yrs. now & I had hoped to be a little further along, than I am. Don't want to be rich(never expectd to be), just have a comfortable life, with a little left over for the little extras in life.

These winters are just a bit much!!!

Once again, thanks to all that replyed & all the best to everyone in the coming year.

pilgrim

Steve
01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm sure I lack in certain business savoy. I realize I will not always make the same amount of money on all my jobs. Kind of have to go with the flow so to speak.

This is a very interesting point I feel we all have issues with and we all need to constantly watch. I think you can have a great understanding of 90% of the business but that last 10% can sink you.

I tend to base the price of jobs as they come, as opposed to having a set schedule on how I bid a job. That & i believe I let the clients low-ball me.When I try not to let that happen with a new client, they tell me they can't afford it. I try to bid my jobs on a $20 p/hr rate. Some of the people I buy material & equipment from have told me, straight out that I should'nt let people low-ball me.

What is your view on where you feel you should be bidding your jobs per hour?

One area that i have a REAL problem with is growing my business. For some reason that part of running a business remains a mystery to me? I've benn at this for 4 yrs. now & I had hoped to be a little further along, than I am. Don't want to be rich(never expectd to be), just have a comfortable life, with a little left over for the little extras in life.

What is your view on this? When you say growing, do you mean making more money, having more customers? Or what? And give us a little bit of your insight as why you feel you are having a difficult time at it. If you are unsure, feel free to think of possibly reasons why.

Bringing them to light may help resolve these issues a lot faster.

thomas206
03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Going into business IS tough. Not for everyone, and you can't really "make it" overnight or anything. Sometimes it takes years or even decades to really feel like you "made it." But it takes a LOT of time, effort, money, sweat and tears. If your heart is FULL ON into it...than within time, you can be successful. It's true...the person who works the hardest and puts their all into it, usually come out on top. And even though they feel like quitting...they don't.

For me....money and fear of failure played a big part. I knew I was supposed to be doing my business...but just the fear of it not fully taking off, or not making enough money or just breaking even and fearing of my competitors really affected my motivation to keep pursuing it. If you let these get in the way of WHY you're doing what you're doing...you might just set yourself up for failure.

These articles are kind of interesting as it tells you why businesses actually fail and how to not fall into those traps:
1. http://www.businessknowhow.com/startup/business-failure.htm - the first one is SO good "1. You start your business for the wrong reasons." READ ON!
2. http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/ - in order to run a business, you need to think like a business person and having a degree might be helpful
3. http://upandrunning.bplans.com/2010/12/01/what-really-causes-business-failures/ - what really causes the failures

Just make sure you don't quit! Worst thing you can do!!! If you know you're doing it for the RIGHT reasons and you're GOOD at it....you will be successful. Make sure your heart is fully in because once you're in...there's almost no going back! Unless you quit...

Steve
03-11-2011, 09:59 PM
For me....money and fear of failure played a big part. I knew I was supposed to be doing my business...but just the fear of it not fully taking off, or not making enough money or just breaking even and fearing of my competitors really affected my motivation to keep pursuing it. If you let these get in the way of WHY you're doing what you're doing...you might just set yourself up for failure.

That is a very interesting insight!

How do you feel it actually effected you? What kinds of things did you do differently because of this fear?

How do you feel you ultimately overcame that or is this still an ongoing battle?

thomas206
03-18-2011, 10:27 AM
That is a very interesting insight!

How do you feel it actually effected you? What kinds of things did you do differently because of this fear?

How do you feel you ultimately overcame that or is this still an ongoing battle?

Hmmmm, I just know that it's what I'm supposed to do, so I try not to think of those things that would make me doubt myself and make me 2nd guess myself. It's pretty much a mindset...if you're going to think like, then you're going to set yourself up for failure, but if you don't and continue focusing on what you're supposed be doing...then you'll succeed :) I'm hanging in there.

devuono311
04-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I've thought A LOT lately, I mean A LOT. Not just "eh, I think I might get out of this line of work before I'm too deep. " But, things like, " Should I get out now before I'm really invested, " or " Maybe I need to get into some factory work, something with benefits" Now before you all think I'm a wus, know this: I'm 26 and My family, you know the closest people who are suppose to encourage you to succeed as something you really want, have been on my A$$ over the winter with " Do you REALLY think this is a good avenue to take?" My response to them " Yes, I LOVE yard work, being my own boss, the idea of building my own EMPIRE so to speak and something I can pass on to my sons" then they go on and on about how right now its too unpredictable, and you dont have health coverage for yourself, and blah-blah-blah. I mean dont get me wrong, they have some certain valid points but, honestly WHAT IS stable right now? Everyone thought they were comfortable at the big auto plants and thousands of poor saps got laid-off, and the few lucky ones got a early retirement buy-out what about the rest? I figure you cant live life on what-ifs but YOU can look back and think" Damn, I'm glad I pushed through and look what I've done...."

So, that being said, Turf Team Lawn Maintenance is entering its second season as a Quality Lawn Care at a Comfortable Price Company.

I wish the rest of you luck as well, though I have many competitors we all do, and there should be more than enough work for all of us ( Legitimate Companies) Sorry, I feel little sympathy for the guys who do no homework and slap a mower in the back of their pick-up driving around town portraying themselves as a Full-Service Lawn Company.

Again, GOOD LUCK to the REST!:)

950thomas
04-02-2011, 06:33 PM
If it was easy building a business everyone would do it no risk no reward

wandfsmall
04-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I was told by a good friend that was well off and successful in his business to get rid of all guns in the house when you start a business as a lot of people get really depressed just before they make it. Every business owner regrets starting his business more then once as it is easier to just work for someone else. But I find most of us are either morons or find some sort of benefit in the challenge as we seem to keep at it.