PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

cmpenn67
12-14-2010, 04:23 PM
I just got my postcards in the mail for my lawn care. Awesome job done by planit graphics..by the way.

Now for the question....In your opinion...is it worth it to get out there and pass out flyers now to try and gain new residential accounts or should i wait till around feb. to start really hitting it? I know you want to get your name out there as much as possible but I just want to know everyones opinion.

Flyer has coupons on there for 2 free mowings with weekly service agreement and 50% off first application with you sign up for the organic lawn program.

Growing Green
12-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm waiting till after the new year to get after it. Everyone will probably be busy getting ready for Christmas and plus we are getting hit by so much advertisment and marketing for Christmas that I think if I advertised they would just forget.

Matt

justin_time
12-14-2010, 06:34 PM
I just got my postcards in the mail for my lawn care. Awesome job done by planit graphics..by the way.

Now for the question....In your opinion...is it worth it to get out there and pass out flyers now to try and gain new residential accounts or should i wait till around feb. to start really hitting it? I know you want to get your name out there as much as possible but I just want to know everyones opinion.

Flyer has coupons on there for 2 free mowings with weekly service agreement and 50% off first application with you sign up for the organic lawn program.

I'm not where your from because we have 4 feet of snow at the moment, lol. You can start in January, even though it may not busy and keep advertising for February, March.. and whenever your season starts and keep advertising. Just get the word out as much as you can :)

Hope this helps

picframer
12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
I am not sure where you are or when your season starts, IMHO two months before the season at best as people, at least where I live are not thinking lawn/yard care and won't be until March.

cmpenn67
12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm in southeast texas... I know some people cut almost year round...some are cutting every two weeks to once a month now.... Some get around 38 to 42 cuts a year.

bruces
12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I live less than an hour away from Justin,and today I saw someone advertising for lawn airating ,which in our case ,cant happen untill April-May .I think he's jumping the gun a little,but definately ambitious .

Steve
12-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Would you figure 2 weeks to a month before your first mowing you should send out the postcards or earlier?

MAKLawnCutter
12-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm waiting till after the new year to get after it. Everyone will probably be busy getting ready for Christmas and plus we are getting hit by so much advertisment and marketing for Christmas that I think if I advertised they would just forget.

Matt

This is no attack on Matt, but, more of a inspiration to all of you newbs in the industry, or people restarting... or thinking about it.

"Holiday" - SPENDING MONEY - Yes you heard me correctly. More coupons are dumped into this time of year than any other by any company or vender, due to the fact people are in this frame of mind to SPEND SPEND SPEND. If they dont call you with-in two weeks, run through and drop off another one. Put your self in front of EVERYONE, if they call and complain, guess what... THEY SAW YOUR AD! It may end up in a drawer but, they will remember it. Trust me, sell your self, never sell yourself SHORT.

As Steve says "Have you started your company this year? If you havent youll be one year behind when you do!" *points finger*

I have put out 1500 coupons in three weeks, i got back 11 calls this week, its been "hard freeze" in florida and people are still calling... "Spend Spend Spend"

Matt

jymie
12-16-2010, 05:41 AM
This is no attack on Matt, but, more of a inspiration to all of you newbs in the industry, or people restarting... or thinking about it.

"Holiday" - SPENDING MONEY - Yes you heard me correctly. More coupons are dumped into this time of year than any other by any company or vendor, due to the fact people are in this frame of mind to SPEND SPEND SPEND. If they dont call you with-in two weeks, run through and drop off another one. Put your self in front of EVERYONE, if they call and complain, guess what... THEY SAW YOUR AD! It may end up in a drawer but, they will remember it. Trust me, sell your self, never sell yourself SHORT.

As Steve says "Have you started your company this year? If you haven't you'll be one year behind when you do!" *points finger*

I have put out 1500 coupons in three weeks, i got back 11 calls this week, its been "hard freeze" in Florida and people are still calling... "Spend Spend Spend"

Matt

Honestly the hardest part of this business is getting people to remember you. The more you advertise, the more they will recognize your name and what you offer. They may not need you right now, but when they do, they will remember your name. In my local area, there is a jeweler that also buys old jewelry, gold etc. He has commercials on TV that has his daughter dressed up as a chicken. That brings recognition to his business because it is off the wall, something different and everyone in this area knows all about his business. They have chickens outside of the business with large signs advertising the business. It's all about marketing, and you can't do to much of it.

Growing Green
12-16-2010, 10:17 AM

"Holiday" - SPENDING MONEY - Yes you heard me correctly. More coupons are dumped into this time of year than any other by any company or vender, due to the fact people are in this frame of mind to SPEND SPEND SPEND. If they dont call you with-in two weeks, run through and drop off another one. Put your self in front of EVERYONE, if they call and complain, guess what... THEY SAW YOUR AD! It may end up in a drawer but, they will remember it. Trust me, sell your self, never sell yourself SHORT.

As Steve says "Have you started your company this year? If you havent youll be one year behind when you do!" *points finger*

I have put out 1500 coupons in three weeks, i got back 11 calls this week, its been "hard freeze" in florida and people are still calling... "Spend Spend Spend"

Matt

Thanks for the feedback Matt! That is good stuff and VERY encouraging. Looks like I'll be hitting the streets then. WOOOOHOOO!!! Translated in Texan WOOOHOOOO means YEEEEHAAAAWWW!!!

Matt

Local Edge Lawn Care
12-16-2010, 12:21 PM
This is a great thread, But in my state as well we have a ton of snow and no one is thinking any sorts of lawn care or landscaping. But with the coupon idea whats your suggestions on doing a coupon even though we are two months from even thinking about their grass or even for a friend or family member? I'm wondering if that would only work in certain states?.

jgontarek
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I always start around this time of year. I start to target my big contracts, Banks, commerical properties etc. I try to lock them in by February/March. I also find that most of them are excited to get all the paperwork off their desk and worry about running day to day business.

I usually start my commercial accounts with a nice sales kit that usually cost 5.00 or 6.00 per mailer, it usually contains a nice letter with interest in the new year bid, a flyer with services, business card, and a freebie this year i made mouse pads with our logo on them, and then i package them in a nice folder with matching envelopes. They are expensive but worth it in the end.

As far as Homeowners go I usually send an email and sometimes snail mail to my previous clients in march when the snow is starting to go away.

I start my general advertising(craigslist,internet,google, ads, etc.) the 3rd week in January to try and capture some new businesses looking for services.

this menthod isn't for everyone I used to run a management company and we followed this model and then i opened my own business and tried this method and it seems to be working.

Steve
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM
this year i made mouse pads with our logo on them

That is very creative! What other items did you send in the past?

I always start around this time of year. I start to target my big contracts, Banks, commerical properties etc. I try to lock them in by February/March.

Are these customers you had from last year or new potential customers you are trying to target for this upcoming year?

jgontarek
01-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Steve,

Freebies all depend on the client, in my other life lol, we did hats,t-shirts,mouse pads, tote bags, flashlights, note books, calenders, and those sticky mats you use in your car for cell phones.

I would recommend staying away from pens & pencils, markers, etc. They got lost in the shuffle and aren't as effective as the other things. Try google'n business promotional materials.

At the end of spring time when i send out my snow plow bids/RFPs, I am going to do Tote bags, I have a few women that are approving the bids, and Im going to go to a local craft store and buy canvas tote bags, they are like 1.50 a piece and then I am going to buy "iron heat press sheets" print my logo on them and then Iron them on the bags. If you take your time doing this you can get them looking perfectly, I did all my company Shirts and Hats and they look professionally silk screened and they are just as good as a professional product that can cost triple what you can make them at home for.

The customers i sent them to where Snow customers that pay me a sesaonal rate vs per storm. I am trying to secure the landscaping portion of their business. All these are commercial accounts, a few banks, Dr offices and 3 dentist offices. I got the clients from working with them at a previous job and when they found out i opened my own Property managment company they wanted to use our services based on our outstanding relationship.

Steve
01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
That is very interesting!

I am going to do Tote bags, I have a few women that are approving the bids, and Im going to go to a local craft store and buy canvas tote bags

So do you feel a key to the success of this is to understand who the decision makers are and then offer them something they could use?

What about things like flowers or maybe even pizza or cookies?