PDA

View Full Version : God Hired Me

CHEESE2009
12-12-2010, 10:45 PM
2 of my customers own a church and both have houses right on my street. It's perfect, very good customers.

They have a church which my GPS says is 18 minutes there, and 18 minutes back.

It took me 1 hour to get there (couldn't figure out my GPS and I get a little paranoid of autoroutes/highways when it's icy... I took the back roads.

It's a long drive to be on the safe side, and I'm in a safe 4WD truck, but just seeing the cars spin out - I don't want any trouble.

I must have messed with my GPS 8 times before I figured it out, lol.

The way back was long but not stressful at all. At first my GPS had a straight line going through houses and lakes right towards my destination which really ticked me off hahaha.

On my journey to the church, unfamiliar with the roads I was in the wrong lane at an intersection with no way to fit in the right lane... I have a green light so;;;;

Instead of going opposite my direction, I drove over a buildings lawn and a few curbs and got back on track... hahaha, that was fun.

So I arrive at the church... Nice place, 7 entrances - 2 of them being main entrances which have a ton of steps.

So.............................................

Pros:
I will get a lawn contract
I will make 2 of my best customers happy

Cons:
This place is seriously out of my way. I have to fly through cities during the worst weather.

I can't charge enough to be 'fair/reasonable' as they should consider hiring someone else who is local.

Conclusion;

I totaled everything up and basically thought, I only have time and gas to lose (still making the price good for myself as well :P)- these are good hearted people who came to me right away after another company tried to sell themselves.

I gave them my version of a fair price, and they agreed to pay me MORE. They said, "the quality of your work from what I can tell is worth more than that"

Done deal.

MAKLawnCutter
12-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Thats awesome, congrats.

Was this for lawn maintenance or your snow removal?

and where did you get a 4x4 plain?

Matt

Steve
12-13-2010, 01:24 PM
That is great news Scott!

Did you ask them how they found you?

CHEESE2009
12-14-2010, 03:32 AM
That is great news Scott!

Did you ask them how they found you?

I cut the owners(2) lawns. They are very.... wealthy...

They aren't mean, they just know what they want and I like that. It's a tough drive there and back - exhausting! Though it's straightforward and fun :P

I got a voice message today on my phone saying they got me another customer... wow...

Lol... I actually don't want customers I'm pretty lazy right now... I was hesitant of taking the Church but the guy was so excited to offer it to me.

Oh well, I'll take what I can get until I die. lol.

Steve
12-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Scott, can they do any further marketing for you? Like put your contact information in their newsletter?

CHEESE2009
12-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Scott, can they do any further marketing for you? Like put your contact information in their newsletter?

My charm is usually sloppy when it comes to the religious, I'm out of words to say knowing their expectations in me. Unfamiliar territory.

I've spoken to hundreds of religious folk, each time I felt like a liar even without mentioning my beliefs or lack there of. It's a conscience thing getting myself involved with those who make a decent attempt at being innocent - my charm is corrupt but always works. I just hold back when it comes to religious people, not sure why. Without being able to be myself with them, I feel trapped and full of anxiety. Maybe it's the fear of being caught, with nothing to hide - soon to be judged.

I had a hard time accepting one customer who was high up there, with him I ended up with a Total of five (5) customers. It works, I just feel "dirty"?

My services are legit, but I'd feel comfortable knowing they were hiring someone like them over me. They praise me, respect me - why does that bother me?

It's a roller coaster ride.

Steve
12-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Do you find that you are concerned they may try to convert you to their religion?

CHEESE2009
12-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Do you find that you are concerned they may try to convert you to their religion?

No, I just don't want to disappoint people. I'm "Protestant" whatever that means, but when people start talking about God and stuff, I'll listen but don't expect a response.

I'll always feel as if they get the impression I wasn't listening, but the fact is I need to 'see to believe'.

An example would be Santa Claus and children, I'll go along with it for them, but the truth is - it doesn't exist to me. Whatever keeps them happy I suppose, it's too bad it has a chance to backfire.

Backfire meaning, further conversation exposing that I am totally different then them and their beliefs. Might not be a big deal, but I feel that it means a lot to them.

Steve
12-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I can understand that and I bet a lot of people in such a situation would feel the same. As long as they don't push things, I would think everything will be able to stay on a professional level.