PDA

View Full Version : Edger - Good Deal?

Growing Green
12-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm not knowledgable in the field of edgers. Would you consider this edger a good deal that I found on craigslist?

http://austin.craigslist.org/grd/2109018043.html

I was thinking of offering $100.

Thanks,
Matt

jklawncare
12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
is it gonna be a pre-season edger and use a stick for the rest of the year? or are you gonna use it regularly?

Growing Green
12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
is it gonna be a pre-season edger and use a stick for the rest of the year? or are you gonna use it regularly?

Probably use it regularly as it will be my only one that I have. Might be able to use trimmer later on in year.

Matt

jklawncare
12-12-2010, 07:58 PM
i wouldnt then
yardmachines are prone to breaking down and usually cost more to fix then to replace..

if it were a pre season edger then im sure it would be fine but if you can id save up a little more and get a stick edger or even more and get one like that but a commercial use

picframer
12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Although I am not a Yard Machine fan, $125 IMHO is a good price for what it will do and your payback should be quick, generally speaking we only have to use the walkbehind at the start of the season then the staff use a trimmer, we have a stick edger also however we lay a lot of sod and the quality of what you can do with a walk behind is very hard to duplicate with a stick.

jklawncare
12-12-2010, 08:21 PM
if you do get it i would consider starting a fund to get a better one..i dont see it lasting any more than a year in a commercial business..it depends on how many accounts you have i suppose

Growing Green
12-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I'm just starting out. Monday was my first day of business. No customers yet, but putting up flyers and continuing to pass out flyers.

I don't want to spend a lot of money yet on an edger since I currently have no income coming in, but I will buy a better one then.

What do you guys think of the Stihl Kombi? I went to Stihl supplier store the other day and fell in love with this machine. :D

jklawncare
12-12-2010, 08:37 PM
im getting one come spring time..im glad you brought it up maybe we can both benefit from the information people give about it.

Growing Green
12-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Yea, I was like a kid in a toy store. I almost fell on the floor and started screaming and shouting, "I WANT ONE, I WANT ONE". Never knew I could get so excited about a machine or tool. :p

jklawncare
12-12-2010, 09:32 PM
downsie is attachments are expensive but i think itd be worth it on a 2 man crew..but..if it fails..all the attachments you use for it fail..and that can set you back..

picframer
12-13-2010, 05:53 AM
What do you guys think of the Stihl Kombi? I went to Stihl supplier store the other day and fell in love with this machine. :D

We have two of them with most of the attachments, one was purchased in the spring of last year, one this year. No issues at all. We use them mainly for pruning, edging and sweeping. One is a KM90 and the other a 130, both work great and no power issues.

Growing Green
12-13-2010, 11:24 AM
We have two of them with most of the attachments, one was purchased in the spring of last year, one this year. No issues at all. We use them mainly for pruning, edging and sweeping. One is a KM90 and the other a 130, both work great and no power issues.

Good to know. The gentleman at the dealer said that he has yet to have anyone bring them in with any issues whatsoever. Glad to hear that from you as I was just thinking he was trying to sell it to me.

Why don't you use it to trim or blow?

Matt