PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new guy here

Robert G
12-11-2010, 09:19 PM
What's up everyone, my name is Robert and I'm new to the lawn service business. I got the idea from my girlfriend about 2 months ago when we were having a discussion about me being unhappy at my current employer and wanting to start my own business. She came up with the idea of cleaning gutters and also leaf clean up and removal, and from there my brain went in to over drive about all the services that can be offered in this industry. I've been able to aquire 2 clients for leaf clean up, but its been slow for the most part. All help and feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I sometimes feel lost as to how to gain more business and market myelf properly. We came up with the name Bob's Lawn Service.

jklawncare
12-11-2010, 09:42 PM
hey bob
welcome to the site
this place is great everyones friendly and you can get almost all your question awnsered here..

where you form?

Robert G
12-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Born and raised in Birmingham, AL. Its a boring place to live but after 29 years I've gotten use to it lol.

MAKLawnCutter
12-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey Robert,

Welcome to the forum, were all pretty helpful on here, we all have different opinions on EVERYTHING, no two people have the SAME idea. We can feed you all the information you could want and/or need!

Matt

Steve
12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Hi Robert,

Welcome to our forum!

What have you been doing so far to promote and market yourself?

Robert G
12-13-2010, 12:49 AM
I've made flyers for gutter cleaning and leaf removal and I have been taping them to mailboxes. I also have 2 sets of postcards made that list all of my services, one to pass out and the second to mail using a consumer list I found online. I was wondering if actually knocking on doors is better than posting on mailboxes?

jklawncare
12-13-2010, 01:17 AM
knocking on doors is FAR better than just posting
most flyers get a 1-2% return rate..

around her i get 2-3% which is realllyy good

but knocking on doors allows you to meet your potential customer and get to know him..by getting to know them you can even tell them certain things you do that will trigger them personally to want your services.

you can ask if they have had previous companies do there lawn and what they disliked and tell them how you are set apart from them

and they get to know you more personally so when they do need someone even if they dont then..they will remember you..and remember how nice you were to come to the door unlike all the other companies..

Growing Green
12-13-2010, 10:22 AM
knocking on doors is FAR better than just posting
most flyers get a 1-2% return rate..

around her i get 2-3% which is realllyy good

but knocking on doors allows you to meet your potential customer and get to know him..by getting to know them you can even tell them certain things you do that will trigger them personally to want your services.

you can ask if they have had previous companies do there lawn and what they disliked and tell them how you are set apart from them

and they get to know you more personally so when they do need someone even if they dont then..they will remember you..and remember how nice you were to come to the door unlike all the other companies..

Awww man...I hope it doesn't come to me having to do this. I hate knocking on doors, but I don't want to starve either. ;) I will do it though if I don't start getting responses from my flyers or CL postings. Going to start volunteering this week as well. Hopefully, I can start networking a lot more now.

Matt

Steve
12-13-2010, 12:33 PM
You should also consider working your social networks. Are you a member of any local clubs or teams? Are any of your friends or family.

Give them all business cards and ask them to hand them out to others they know.

I would think, going door to door for gutter cleaning would really be beneficial, especially if you see plants growing out of the gutters and can point this out to the home owners.

You will probably land more jobs this way.

Robert G
12-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Door to door sounds good and I will start doing that, thanks for the input.
My business cards won't be ready until tomorrow, but I will make sure to give them to my family and friends. Actually a good friend of mine has his own buisness that contracts jobs for homeowners and businesses. We are having a meeting this week so we can discuss all the details. He told me he was glad I called him because he knows a lot of people who could use my services.
I'm also going to market myself on facebook and craigslist. Has anyone had good success using either one of those? How about having my own web page?

Growing Green
12-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Door to door sounds good and I will start doing that, thanks for the input.
My business cards won't be ready until tomorrow, but I will make sure to give them to my family and friends. Actually a good friend of mine has his own buisness that contracts jobs for homeowners and businesses. We are having a meeting this week so we can discuss all the details. He told me he was glad I called him because he knows a lot of people who could use my services.
I'm also going to market myself on facebook and craigslist. Has anyone had good success using either one of those? How about having my own web page?

Hi Robert,

I think a webpage is a must. It isn't expensive to get one either. I used www.weebly.com. You can get a free website with them or you can upgrade to the pro, which is only $3.99 a month. Check out my site...they actually have pretty good web design templates. www.allgrowinggreen.com

Matt

Steve
12-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I agree. Use all those tools that are available to you.

Keep us posted on how your meeting goes and let us know about the feedback you get from your marketing efforts.

Robert G
12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
I checked out weebly.com and I've started creating a webpage. It seems to be fairly simple, so I will let you all know how the finished product looks when I finish it. I will keep everyone updated on my progress in a few days.

Growing Green
12-15-2010, 06:07 PM
I checked out weebly.com and I've started creating a webpage. It seems to be fairly simple, so I will let you all know how the finished product looks when I finish it. I will keep everyone updated on my progress in a few days.

Glad to hear that. let me know if you have any questions regarding it.

Matt