PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a used Hustler Fastrak or a new Snapper Pro S50X?

Reminisce32
12-07-2010, 11:05 PM
I am planning on buying my first zero-turn which I plan to get into part time lawn maintenance. My current two options are as follows:

I could either buy a new commercial Snapper Pro S50X 46'' 19/20hp kawasaki for about $4,800 after taxes. (http://www.snapperpro.com/models/features/5:s50x). This is the cheapest and most robust looking commercial lawn mower I've found.

Or I could buy a used, one owner, residential, (approx. 3 years old) Hustler 44'' Fastrak 19hp Kohler for $2,900.

I want to spend the least amount as possible when testing out this type of work, but I don't want to make a stupid purchase neither. So in the end if it's a toss up, I'll just go with the used Fastrak.

Thanks.

xpertlawnman
12-08-2010, 08:21 AM
I would buy the Snapper Pro. For the extra $1900 it is worth it. You are getting a better engine, a warranty, and most important a brand new machine. Now if I was starting out, I would be looking at WB not a ZT.

Reminisce32
12-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Why do you recommend a wb? The yards in my area are 1 1/4 acres.

xpertlawnman
12-08-2010, 09:49 AM
I did not know that was your average lot size. A ZT would be alot more productive than a WB on lots over an acre. Many guys start out with a WB because they are more versatile than ZT. They are also cheaper to purchase, maintain, and run. If you plan on growing your business beyond a couple of "yards in the evening", then buying a ZT may be worth it. The good thing about the Snapper Pro s50X is that it is a very compact machine and does weigh alot like some of the other ZTs. So storage and transporting should not be an issue.

Steve
12-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Have you looked on craigslist in your area to see if there were any decent used commercial mowers available?