PDA

View Full Version : year end maintenance

CFD192
12-07-2010, 09:57 PM
I was just curious as to what everyone does at the year end maintenance wise to there equipment? I will be taking my riding mower to get maintenance done, but what does everyone else do with there weedeaters and pushmowers, put sta bil in them, empty them out or what?

Thanks,

xpertlawnman
12-08-2010, 09:40 AM
The thing I spend the most time on is cleaning underneath the deck of all mowers really good. I sharpen the blades also, that way I don't have to worry about in the Spring. For my bigger mowers I add the fuel stabilizer and run it for a few minutes. For handhelds and pushmowers, I do empty the gas out or run them dry. I used to change the oil in my mowers also, now I don't do it until Spring. I have heard so many opinions on changing the oil before storage or doing it after winter that I don't know what to believe. All I do know is that we have an old Lawnboy at camp, that sits all winter in sub-zero temps, with no gas stabilizer and it starts right up in the Spring every year. The oil and air filter have not been changed in years.

Steve
12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
The thing I spend the most time on is cleaning underneath the deck of all mowers really good.

What is your view on why that is so important?

For my bigger mowers I add the fuel stabilizer and run it for a few minutes.

Also what is your view on why you don't empty the larger equipments fuel tanks?

xpertlawnman
12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Grass build up under the deck can and will cause rust. I try to make sure all of the grass and dirt is scaped off really good. I will touch up any rough spots with primer or paint. I then spray underneath with WD-40 and make sure all of the grease points have grease. I would like to run the tanks dry on my 2 bigger mowers, but it is not possible. I store my equipment in a shed at the end of my property and it would be to much of a hassle to drain the gas inside the shed. And obviously they are too big to move around not running to do it before I put them in there.