PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

jklawncare
12-06-2010, 01:05 AM
im only 16 and ive been in business for 3 years now.
i have never had a problem with anything..nobody has ever brought it up except on one occasion when a client requested a gutter cleaning and i told him were not insured and he second thought about it but i dont blame him. Every day i would walk my mower around town to get to my next house and never has a cop stopped me. I have had my truck with multiple logos surrounding it with me on occasions and a cop never stopped me.

All i want is to know if you think it is necessary to become licensed and possibly insured.

What would the consequences be of me getting caught un licensed as a minor.

I understand being insured is big and opens alot of doors but until i feel i can make a living off of this business i dont want it to be legal. The paperwork would cost some money and the hassle just for licensed title no one pays attention too i dont think is worth the effort unless there is a major consequence.

what are your opinions?

CHEESE2009
12-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Do what you can for now, getting into the legal crud at your age isn't worth it.

There are perks to being 'legal', like money back - when you create 'business expenses' you'll receive a small percent back on certain things here and there.

The good thing is, just about everything can be written off as a business expense, therefore saving you money.

The problem with being legal is, charging tax makes our prices too high (visually)... we don't even get to keep that money....

A lot of people will tell you getting registered is easy, bla bla... Though, I truly believe you should keep it up as you are currently.

You can get away with charging your competitors prices, and being able to keep all the profits - mind as well make it last....

Reasons for becoming legal, quite a few but not so many...
Take it slow, you'll know when the right time comes along and you should become legal. As for the police, I guarantee they wont bust your chops if you kept this up for a lifetime. I suppose they don't like conflict considering the stereotype of the 'lawn guys' being rough a-holes. lol...

(just don't break the law when you drive around - speeding, going through stop signs, etc - give them no reason to pull you over)

Hope this was encouraging. lol

Party on!

racerdude711
12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
JK- I'm currently sitting in the same spot as you. Im not licensed or insured. A friend of mine also has a lawn care company, and he just got licensed and insured about 3-4 months ago. He is 17 as well. Getting licensed doesn't cost much, just some paperwork, and I think he pays around $400 every 6 months. So for $66.00 a month, it's probably worth it. I can't be positive that is what he pays, but I know its in that ball park. I'm planning on getting licensed and insured for this upcoming spring. I also have been driving around with logo's on the truck and have never had an issue. I really doubt a cop is gunna say a word to us about running our business. I think there's a better chance of a potential customer asking about it.

Steve
12-06-2010, 01:59 PM
All i want is to know if you think it is necessary to become licensed and possibly insured.

Why do you feel you put this off?

bruces
12-06-2010, 01:59 PM
you have to worry about the tax man with a business adventure,and when you have a lettered truck competitors in your area might make a call to the tax man on your behalf [really not good ] ,and as far as insurance goes,if you throw a rock through a basement window, damage any property whatsoever ,or god forbid fling a rock up and hit somebody , then you will understand why you need insurance . I am not trying to scare you ,as myself and later both my kids started business's in the same way ,but the reality is your playing with fire .

jklawncare
12-06-2010, 03:52 PM
i understand the risks of not being insured but im just more focused on being licensed

i think this will be my last season or half season of being non licensed

i just want to make sure that i know that this job is worth the legal troubles and i can support the payments i need to make and still be comfortable with my salary.

For indiana filing the paperwork for getting licensed is $90.00
but insurance will be alot more

im gonna take some time to work through it and understand what im getting myself into more rather than jumping the gun.

i expect to license myself sometime next spring or late this season like september or so.

alot of my customers like the fact im not licensed cause im tax free and a tad cheaper than my competitors because i have virtually no overhead costs.

CHEESE2009
12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Put your mind to getting your own work truck, to me that is more important budget wise.. $$$$$$$........
A truck assures that you always be able to bring in more business
and gives you that much needed independence and 'motivation boost'.

:p

jklawncare
12-06-2010, 09:42 PM
i agree with you getting a truck is my main goal. it will symbolize to me that i have a company and that i need to do my best with it and move on. I have a blazer right now that is my work truck and when ever i take out my girlfriend or go somehwere i dont want to advertise i take my parents car. although i want to get an actual pickup that looks nice and professional.

Hedgemaster
12-06-2010, 10:36 PM
$90 sounds pretty damned inexpensive for said "license" if you ask me.

How much do you spend on equipment? I'm betting that $90 is a drop in the bucket in comparison to your other business expenses.

As for insurance, don't be afraid to pick up the phone and ask for quotes.
I was surprised to find one place that offered $1,000,000 coverage for $167/yr.
(I went with someone else, but still... affordable insurance is obtainable)

jklawncare
12-06-2010, 10:54 PM
your right 90 isnt alot and it isnt completely the cost issue..its just the hassle..plus if i dont have to pay taxes yet..i want to avoid it..my customers like it too..

next year i will become licensed i will use this year as a foundation to build up to it.

i will grow this year. i have my ambitions set high and nothing will stop me.

Steve
12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
plus if i dont have to pay taxes yet..i want to avoid it..my customers like it too..

I forgot the minimum figure and others can jump in here, but I think it is a few hundred dollars of income and you have to file a tax return. Licensed or not. Insured or not.