PDA

View Full Version : Edger

DillonB92
12-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey Guys. I haven't been on in a while. This was my first year in business. I sent out some surveys to my customers and only got a few back. The ones i got back all said pretty much the same thing. Mowing 5 out of 5 and edging 3-4 out of 5. I was wondering what kind of edgers you guys out there use. I'm not really partial to stick or walk behind as long as it gets the job done. I don't have much money to spend on a commercial one. Any Suggestions?
Thanks

Dillon

jymie
12-04-2010, 11:05 PM
For the initial cut in the spring I use a McClane walk behind edger, once its cut, I use either a Echo stick edger or Echo line trimmer to maintain it for the year, depending on my mood. A line trimmer will do fine to upkeep it but once a month a stick edger just to redefine the edge is a good practice. Found my stick edger on craigslist for $80 brand new.

picframer
12-05-2010, 04:42 AM
We use a John Deere walk behind for the first cut, you can adjust the head to any angle you want, does a nice uniform job, then staff use a stick edger in one of our Stihl Kombi units, generally bi-weekly, sometimes less often.

The other thing they do is use the trimmer in one of our Stihl FS units with a heavy line, I think it's called a Gator line, does a great job also.

Steve
12-05-2010, 04:31 PM
edging 3-4 out of 5.

Can you tell us how you have been doing your edging so far? How does it compare or contrast to what others suggested?

How might you change your process in the future?

DillonB92
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
I have been using just my string trimmer with .095 line. Turn it up so a grove can be made easier without having to turn sideways. Thanks for all who replied. Does Where do you buy John Deere Edgers? How about Mclane? Would a Mclane edger at ACE hardware store be the same as what you have jymie? Where do you get Gator Trimmer line?

jymie
12-05-2010, 11:22 PM
http://www.specialtymowers.com/images/h1123-s-mclane-edger-1.jpg

Here is the one I have. Trimmer line I pickup at a local store, I use diamond cut .095 by the large spool.

picframer
12-06-2010, 04:45 AM
I have been using just my string trimmer with .095 line. Turn it up so a grove can be made easier without having to turn sideways. Thanks for all who replied. Does Where do you buy John Deere Edgers? How about Mclane? Would a Mclane edger at ACE hardware store be the same as what you have jymie? Where do you get Gator Trimmer line?

Deere hasn't offered them since the 1970's however I see them in mint condition on Craigslist and Ebay (Model E35) from time to time. From another forum some of the guys have a Tanaka and really like them a few have the Ariens.

Steve
12-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Dillon,

After hearing that feedback from your customers, what will you be doing differently now to improve your edging?

xpertlawnman
12-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Picframer and jymie are spot on. The only difference, is I use a cheap Craftsman WB edger at the begining of each season. I usually use commercial stuff, but the machine only sees a couple of hours a use a season. After that I maintain the edge with my stick edger. Listen to these guys on here. Towards the end of the season, you can get way with using a trimmer. But for most of the year, you should use an edger for a cleaner look.

Steve
12-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Towards the end of the season, you can get way with using a trimmer. But for most of the year, you should use an edger for a cleaner look.

What % of the time do you find you use an edger to maintain the edge versus using the trimmer?

DillonB92
12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone for replying. Scott, now knowing how my customers feel about edging, i plan on spending a few more minutes concentrating on edging. Though it cost me more day light hours it will be worth it in the long run. I am considering getting a stick edger. My weedeater is one that will interchange attachments. It was just my starter weedeater and has been great. It has more power than any weedeater i have ever used. I am considering making it the edger with the edger attachment and then upgrading to a commercial weedeater of the same brand. What do you think? I read on a post before that having a attachment capable weedeater is good but its easier and alot less difficult if you just have two sepearte units

xpertlawnman
12-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Steve, I use an edger about 90% of the time. By October the growth has slowed enough where you can get away with a trimmer.

Dillon, You should have a dedicated commercial weedeater. Buy the edger attachment for the one you have now. If all you are doing is maintaining weekly mowing accounts, any low level commercial trimmer will do. I have had good luck with Echo. On a side note, when yoiu bid your yards was edging included with the price? In future bids, you may want to go a little higher to compensate for the edging.

Steve
12-10-2010, 12:38 PM
On a side note, when yoiu bid your yards was edging included with the price? In future bids, you may want to go a little higher to compensate for the edging.

That is a very good point. Whats the best way to go about including edging in your bids? Should you give two prices, one with edging or one without? Or how is the best way to handle it?