PDA

View Full Version : Mailing list help

wellbiz
12-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey all,

I am looking for a company that supplies mailing list based on street or neighborhoods. For example, say I do a landscape job on a customers home who lives on 1st street. I am looking for a company where I can get the names and addresses to mail to everyone on the street or within a block or two. We might be only talking about 20 or 30 addresses max. I know relators do this all the time. I constantly get post cards for local agents when a house sells or goes up for sale either on my street or a block or two away. Just not sure where they are getting the names! Had the same thing happen when other contractors are performing work in the neighborhood (roofing,windows).

I am pretty sure I read on the forum last spring about a few members who used such a service. I tried to search for it and keep coming up empty.

I am pretty sure this is some kind of subscription that you would pay monthly for. I just can seem to find a company that offers it.

Any ideas or advice.

Thanks!
Jay

picframer
12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Here in Canada, I can get it from the post office and I can select to omit those who do not wish promotional material also.

Steve
12-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Jay,

Read this post and see if it is helpful. I think it's a great discussion on this topic.

If you need more help, let me know.

Direct Mail Marketing (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7613)

TheGoat
12-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I used DirectMailTools.com for my fall mailing campaign and was pretty happy with the results.

you can put in any address and set a radius around that address down to 1/10th of a mile around that point.

wellbiz
12-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Jay,

Read this post and see if it is helpful. I think it's a great discussion on this topic.

If you need more help, let me know.

Direct Mail Marketing (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7613)

Thanks Steve, lots of good information. I only wish Chestin whould have mentioned a few companies that offer the service in his posts. I have contacted a few of the bigger companies and havent been successful yet.

Jay

wellbiz
12-03-2010, 07:57 AM
I used DirectMailTools.com for my fall mailing campaign and was pretty happy with the results.

you can put in any address and set a radius around that address down to 1/10th of a mile around that point.

Thanks, I will contact them today and see if they can provide the information I am looking for.

Jay

wellbiz
12-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Here in Canada, I can get it from the post office and I can select to omit those who do not wish promotional material also.

Thanks Andy! I am in the states and unfortunatley our postal system is not as user friendly.

Steve
12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Let us know which companies you contact that you feel would work well for a lawn care business.

Also, one of the mailing list company names I remember was http://www.melissadata.com/

They have been talked about quite a bit on the forum in the past.

TheGoat
12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
when I was doing my initial searches for contact lists for my lawn service ads, the problem I was running into was high minimum purchases.

MrLank
12-04-2010, 04:35 AM
What I use around here is the County Assessor page for my county. I just type in the address I worked at and it shows the house with the land. Where the land is outlined, I can click on the neighbors land and their page will come up with a picture of the house and all information. Didn't know if this was an option?? Let me know. If not, sorry for the waste lol

Steve
12-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I am guessing there is going to be a sweet spot for each way everyone is doing this. To generate X amount of a mailing list, maybe one way works better, but when you want to generate a mailing list of 10 times that, maybe another way does.

How big are the mailing lists you each are wanting or using?

wellbiz
12-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I am guessing there is going to be a sweet spot for each way everyone is doing this. To generate X amount of a mailing list, maybe one way works better, but when you want to generate a mailing list of 10 times that, maybe another way does.

How big are the mailing lists you each are wanting or using?

Steve,

Not very big, maybe 20-30 per week. I dont know if it is even finacially viable until I get an idea on how much a list service will cost. I would just use postcards or door hangers left at the neighbors house (standard cloverleafing), but I thought actually having a name to personalize the marketing pieces may generate a higher respones rate. I am open to any suggestions.

Jay

jymie
12-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I have used this site before to advertise by mail to neighbors of customers I now service, It takes a bit of typing onto a spread sheet to make labels but once you have it you can use over and over.

http://www.whitepages.com/person

Go down to the part that says find neighbors. Type in the address you service and up comes the information.

They will let you do free mail lables here on this site as well.

http://www.whitepages.com/save_contacts

wellbiz
12-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I have used this site before to advertise by mail to neighbors of customers I now service, It takes a bit of typing onto a spread sheet to make labels but once you have it you can use over and over.

http://www.whitepages.com/person

Go down to the part that says find neighbors. Type in the address you service and up comes the information.

They will let you do free mail lables here on this site as well.

http://www.whitepages.com/save_contacts

Jymie,

Thanks so much. Funny thing is I use whitepages.com all the time for revese searches when I get a call and the client only leaves a first name or no name at all. Never realized I could search for neighbors. This is excellent, I really appreciate the help.:D

Jay

Steve
12-05-2010, 04:42 PM

How often do you send out mailings to them and how effective have you found it to be versus dropping off flyers after each mowing?

jymie
12-05-2010, 11:35 PM
How often do you send out mailings to them and how effective have you found it to be versus dropping off flyer's after each mowing?

It costs me more to hand out flyer's as that usually requires my helpers to walk neighborhoods. I find that sending postcards is far better than handing out flyer's door to door. Paper seems to get trashed quicker than a post card. I try to send out some sort of advertisement once a month to streets I already service. Its not uncommon for us to have at least two homes on a street we service. Once I get one, then the rest will get something from me. When I am looking for new streets, I will take notice of something that needs to be done in the area and gear the advertisement towards that.

Spring time I will advertise mulch Installs, lawn care, landscaping
As the season goes on, My focus will include basic trimming for those that need trimming only, hedge trimming, driveway & Walkway edging, bed weeding, flower planting etc etc

The biggest thing is strike up conversation with people out in their yard when you are servicing a neighbor, that works wonders.

Steve
12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
When I am looking for new streets, I will take notice of something that needs to be done in the area and gear the advertisement towards that.

Do you try and have different marketing material to be sent out each month or do you use the same template?

Also, how wide of an area do you recommend to reach with postcards.

LittleDave
12-11-2010, 03:18 PM
When I used to assemble my own mailing and telemarketing lists, I used something called the "Criss-Cross Directory" located in my local public library.
It is updated annually and contains information organized by phone number as well as by street address.

So, I look up the street address of a good customer, and the directory shows me all the other addresses on the street and near streets with phone numbers, names, number of years in residence, sometimes purchase price of property,renter or owner, all kinds of good info. I just photocopied the pages I needed to use for the week.

Much cheaper than a paid service, and you can control exactly who you mail to (or call- if you use telemarketing which was VERY successful for me.)

Nowadays the method posted above by jymie about whitepages is also good but I have found that the names and phone numbers are not always as accurate as the Criss-cross directory was.

wellbiz
12-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks, I will ask at my local library next time I am in.

Steve
12-12-2010, 03:23 PM
or call- if you use telemarketing which was VERY successful for me.

When you did this, how did you go about it? Did you personally call people or did you hire a service?

Also what did you find was the best way to do your marketing with those addresses? How often did you send mailers out?

LittleDave
12-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Steve- Sorry for the late reply. I have been very sick this week.

At first I called them personally. Eventually I hired a person to call in the early evenings and paid for each appointment that he set up.
The point of the call was not to sell our services - it was to get me in front of them. I did the selling in person. That's how you close deals. People do business with people - not postcards or telemarketers.

This was before the Do Not Call Registry was started by our "babysitter" congressmen. However, from what I have read on the http://www.telemarketing.donotcall.gov website it appears that you only need to register on the gov's website and get access the list of numbers that you should not call.
If you access less than 5 area codes there are no fees. That should cover most of us. The list of numbers is downloaded in a variety of file formats. Just run it against your own list in a spreadsheet to clean it up.

As for mailing, I only wish I knew then what I know now. I wasted a lot of money on pre-printed material from lawncare supply companies. I should have made my own mailings and used a more "benefits-driven" approach.

Steve
12-18-2010, 03:30 PM
As for mailing, I only wish I knew then what I know now. I wasted a lot of money on pre-printed material from lawncare supply companies. I should have made my own mailings and used a more "benefits-driven" approach.

Can you tell us more about what a benefits driven approach is? Also what did you not like about the pre-printed material?

LittleDave
12-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, a benefits-driven approach just means you should advertise things that are important to your customer - not you. A list of services you offer is not a benefit. Its just a feature. The benefit is all in how it affects the customer.

So mow,blow, and trim is not a benefit. The benefit is that your customer gets the perfectly striped, green lawn that everyone else on the block is going to be envious of. Or that they get an extra few hours of free time each week because you are taking care of their worries.

The standard generic mailers that the landscape suppliers sold didn't target my customers' desires as well as I could've . And they didn't have a real strong call to action either.

But like I said earlier, the only purpose of the marketing should be to get your face in front of them so you can sell them in person. A postcard is a poor substitute for a knowledgeable, friendly business owner. Just my opinion.

Steve
12-24-2010, 01:27 PM
And they didn't have a real strong call to action either.

We don't talk about this too often. What is your view of a weak call to action and what makes a call to action strong?

Where do you see most lawn care business owners messing up when it comes to this? How can they resolve this issue?

mikey.d.thompson
12-24-2010, 05:36 PM
sorry i meant this one http://www.directmail.com/directory/hplinks/6/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahh1BQzjD5Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahh1BQzjD5Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wellbiz
12-25-2010, 07:23 AM
sorry i meant this one http://www.directmail.com/directory/hplinks/6/

Thanks for the link, this may help!!!

Steve
12-26-2010, 10:05 PM
That is pretty cool!

How have you liked or disliked that so far compared to other ways you may have gotten your mailing lists in the past?