PDA

View Full Version : WTF! Are you serious!?

MAKLawnCutter
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
WHAT THE F***&*&!

So, I got up at 6:35am this morning as the girl left for class, i went out for a smoke and looked at my truck, was fine... Magnets in place, wheel barrel still in the bed.

I started laundry at about 9:00am and everything was still fine, i came back inside to wait to change the load and started working on a proposal for possible new clients in the commercial side. I went back out at 9:30am and my wheel barrel was gone "****!" i thought, then a few minutes later i noticed that my DOOR MAGNETS and my BUSINESS CARD HOLDER were missing, SOME SOB stole it! ARE YOU FOR REAL!

Living in the new area i have done a lot of expansion and growing, i have gained two commercial accounts and 5 residential with contracts. Both commercial accounts i took from the same guy (monthly income from the two is around 2100$) and who knows if any of the residentials are from the same guy.

Someone is not happy with my expansion so, the only place to hit me is in the business and take away some of my advertising...

I called and had new vinyl ordered before 10am for my truck and trailer, i will be labeled by next friday, and this time if he/she tries to take it, have fun scraping!

((they left a 60$ rigid shovel in the back of my truck so, they were spooked by something))

Matt

P.S. YOU SOB, if you are on this forum, i am going to find you... and press charges.

jymie
12-02-2010, 11:18 AM
That is really pathetic. Sorry that this happened to you. For what it is worth, I have a friend who lives in Florida and he says that there is alot of stealing things going on down there. He is in The Tampa area. He tells me anything he leaves outside he can almost guarantee that it will be missing. He has even lost holiday decorations right off his front lawn. That is so wrong. You may need to be in the habit of locking things down if it continues. Better yet set up a webcam pointed at your truck then you'll have video proof of the culprit.

MAKLawnCutter
12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Well, now that i have relaxed, i take it all as a compliment. I have taken enough of this persons business that he has to attack my business in my ways of advertising. Ill just make sure i have ALL of his accounts by spring.

Matt

jklawncare
12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
the webcam idea is a good one just have it ocnstantly recording pointed out the window at your truck

also

id get some truck racks that are lockable
they look really nice and professional and they keep things safe..all kind of attachments to so you can hold almost anything

vinyl is a good idea
i think it looks alot better than magnets anyways
if your trailer is enclosed make sure you have a lock
people have been stealing out of sheds and garages around here

MAKLawnCutter
12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
SO! What do you do when you get knocked down?

Option A: Lay there like you got bit in the ear by Tyson

Option B: Lay there like you got kicked in the groin

Option C: Lay there like the short bus hit you... then backed up

Option D: Get back up, kick Tyson in the balls, Wear a cup and put spike strips in front of the bus...

Answer - OPTION D!

Okay, so, i had all of that drama this morning, my washer and dryer outlets took a dump later this afternoon also! AND! MY BRAND NEW CISS KIT LEAKED ALL OVER MY FLOOR! CYMK SOB! (this douche bag also added water to my fuel tank, it was half full lastnight when i parked it, it was OVER the full line today... SWEET)

Okay, LOL - So, after my morning burglary, i decided that this guy seems to want me out of his area... already, ive only taken a total of THREE of his commercial accounts? After i finally let my head clear out, i started thinking "how can i bounce back?" I made sure all of my equipment was there and it was, as i looked at it all hanging on the rack, all shimmering and gorgeous; i thought "WHAT IF!" I sent an email to STIHL corporate and Wright Manufacturing. I told them the story and that i am just looking for stickers or vinyl of their products to add to my trailer and truck. Maybe add a "Racers Edge" to this new image i am going to jump in to. I got a reply from STIHL and they are sending me stickers, hats, shirts, gloves and sound protection ear muffs. Wright Manufacturing is sending me Stickers, Hats, Shirts and Gloves for stride to totally rock the hell out of this dude that thinks my magnets make my business.
There is a guy that is going to be coming over from Fort Myers in January with his vinyl cutter and laptop and hook me up with new vinyl on the trailer and truck and wont charge me an arm and a leg.

I am going out tomorrow and dropping 500 of my flyers; rain, shine or freezing temperatures.

I will be the victor from this guy trying to take my advertising away... Little does he know some of us rise from ashes.

Matt K.

Steve
12-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I am very sorry about that happening!

You know, I have heard from plenty of people over the years that have had their magnetic signs stolen.

That never made any sense to me.

But now as I think about it, I guess the point is not just theft for the thief's use but also a way for them to try and set you back by not having the signs on your truck anymore.

What did you do about the water in the gas tank? It could potentially have been worse too. Which makes you think if you are going to need to put a fuel cap lock on your truck to stop any further damage.

Another thing you could do is file a police report and then contact the local paper about the theft. It could potentially bring you a lot more media attention.

MAKLawnCutter
12-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Steve,
I did file a police report this morning. They think it was a competitor that did it, just for the fact that he took the magnets and wheel barrel, left my GPS, Hazard Lights, Fog lights and Cell Phone on my seat. He was only after ways to slow my business...

Douche Bag

matt

Steve
12-02-2010, 08:20 PM
What's your thoughts about calling the paper and talking about the dirty tricks this would be competitor did to try and stop you.

Do you think getting your story out would be helpful?

arthur712
12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Matt, It was me!!! LOL JUST KIDDING!

I will hook you up because of your loss, and would like to help you in any way possible.

You are a great person and good things will happen for you.

Do not let this put you down, this will only make you stronger!

See you soon!

Artie

TheGoat
12-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Damn dude, that ****ing blows!!!.
he took your wheelbarrow because he knows you're mulching
I'll be in Daytona tomorrow, I'll give you a call.

The Cleaning Doctor
12-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Rottweiler with a 30' chain and no bark all bite and sleeps under the truck.:eek:

Sorry that happened. Some people will stoop really low.

If you have a blog I would write about it but do NOT accuse anyone specific or hint at you knowing who it is and link to it from facebook. Your customers may read it and buck up their determination to stick with you.

arthur712
12-02-2010, 10:59 PM
If you have a blog I would write about it but do NOT accuse anyone specific or hint at you knowing who it is and link to it from facebook. Your customers may read it and buck up their determination to stick with you.

Good call! Pat

picframer
12-03-2010, 06:29 AM

Really sorry to hear this happened.

I agree with the post above and would tread carefully until the person(s) are determined. I also would not spend a lot of energy going after who I might think it is, this can come back to bite you. Keep on doing what you are doing, keep things locked up.

In my case my cell phone is critical to me as it has so much information in it, I backup to my laptop daily in the season as it only takes a min, and I keep it with me 24/7.

MAKLawnCutter
12-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I have a blog, only issue is, it only has ONE follower lol.

Matt

jymie
12-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I have a blog, only issue is, it only has ONE follower lol.

Matt

Do you post the blog to facebook if you have an account there?

TCurrin27
12-03-2010, 09:55 PM
what a douche bag, he'll get whats coming to him sooner or later.

Jack Rabbit
12-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Turn his evil deeds against him by using them to attack his business through publicity. Guerrilla warfare, turn his actions into your strength. You must get positive ID of the perp to do that.

Don't do reactive things like getting Stihl gloves and vinyl to "show him". Use practical, effective, direct action to ID the threat and deal with it.

Get a surveillance camera(s) as someone already suggested. Set up some means of recording what it sees. Put it where it can see your tools, truck, etc. while stored or parked.

If the camera records the perp in action then show it to the police. If he is caught and convicted or otherwise legally determined to be the perp then publicize that he tried to sabotage your business (assuming it was a competitor) by telling the local newspapers, encouraging local news to show the surveillance video, and using the thefts in your advertisements. "Lawn service so good my competitors have to resort to this ..." Press charges. Consider a law suit.

All that is only if the perp is definitely ID'd in the eyes of the law though.

Also simply continue to expand your business. If you are taking his customers then that will take more of them.

(Get the gloves and things if you want them other than related to the theft of course.)

MrLank
12-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Sorry to hear that. I also lost my door magnets, but I was going 65mph on the interstate on a windy day and when I pulled up to pass a semi they disappeared. I would see if the newspaper would run an article. Not only would it worry him(if he reads it) but it will also be a good/free way to get your name out. We have the usual A holes around here that will take your sign if you leave them on busy corners. It's never happened to me but I've heard from others. I guess if the competitor isn't up for competing, then stealing you signs was his only option. Now that's sad.

MAKLawnCutter
12-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Mr.Lank...

He/They stole the MAGNETS directly off my truck lol. They werent lot signs or anything, they were magnets...

Matt

MAKLawnCutter
12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Turn his evil deeds against him by using them to attack his business through publicity. Guerrilla warfare, turn his actions into your strength. You must get positive ID of the perp to do that.

Don't do reactive things like getting Stihl gloves and vinyl to "show him". Use practical, effective, direct action to ID the threat and deal with it.

Get a surveillance camera(s) as someone already suggested. Set up some means of recording what it sees. Put it where it can see your tools, truck, etc. while stored or parked.

If the camera records the perp in action then show it to the police. If he is caught and convicted or otherwise legally determined to be the perp then publicize that he tried to sabotage your business (assuming it was a competitor) by telling the local newspapers, encouraging local news to show the surveillance video, and using the thefts in your advertisements. "Lawn service so good my competitors have to resort to this ..." Press charges. Consider a law suit.

All that is only if the perp is definitely ID'd in the eyes of the law though.

Also simply continue to expand your business. If you are taking his customers then that will take more of them.

(Get the gloves and things if you want them other than related to the theft of course.)

The stuff from STIHL was a bonus, i figured i have to redo my vinyl on my trailer and truck anyways since he scraped the hell out of it. I only contacted STIHL to get vinyl to redo my trailer and give the business more edge and an oldschool kick that most trailers lack.

"ID the perp" My signs were seen on a van the other day by myself and i called and gave the tag number, i havent heard anything back yet.
The expansion of the business will be seen all over Daytona Beach here in about a week. I have a few new things to market with so, if he stops for chinese or fuel where i have my items placed, he will see i am expanding in the wake of his idiotness.

Matt

psparaco
12-05-2010, 12:50 AM
thinking back to my childhood. I woulld rig a explosives around the perimeter of your entire yard and anyone after dark and until 8am would get paintballed with permanent red ink blown up all over them or maybe tarred and feathered lmao. but on a legal note. get a security camera and/or motion sensors so if anything larger than say large dog approaches your truck, bright halogen lights come on, camera records and a loud speaker comes on saying "INTRUDER! INTRUDER! STAY WHERE YOU ARE OR WOULD WILL BE SHOT!!!" OK MAYBE NOT THE SHOT PART BUT SOMETHING TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THEM SIMILIAR TO A BUGULAR ALARM in a house.

good luck.

MAKLawnCutter
12-05-2010, 04:27 PM
thinking back to my childhood. I woulld rig a explosives around the perimeter of your entire yard and anyone after dark and until 8am would get paintballed with permanent red ink blown up all over them or maybe tarred and feathered lmao. but on a legal note. get a security camera and/or motion sensors so if anything larger than say large dog approaches your truck, bright halogen lights come on, camera records and a loud speaker comes on saying "INTRUDER! INTRUDER! STAY WHERE YOU ARE OR WOULD WILL BE SHOT!!!" OK MAYBE NOT THE SHOT PART BUT SOMETHING TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THEM SIMILIAR TO A BUGULAR ALARM in a house.

good luck.

What i am looking for, is a "Sensor" kind of thing. I would like to be able to put a sensor on the trailer and mount it near the window of my bedroom, if someone attempts to pull the trailer; say more than 5feet from where its sitting, it will sound, the truck is getting an alarm installed soonly.

Matt

MAKLawnCutter
12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
http://daytonagazette.com/not-a-warm-welcome-to-daytona-beach

The story is there.

Matt

The Cleaning Doctor
12-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I left a reply there. Hey free advertising for you.....:D

MAKLawnCutter
12-08-2010, 12:16 AM
HA! awesome, you and Artie are awesome. THANKS!

Matt

jklawncare
12-08-2010, 12:37 AM
i sent a reply too

arthur712
12-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Like a Big Family here on the forum!

Always here to Help!

Thanks!
Artie

Steve
12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Matt,

That is fantastic! Give us the low down on how you got them to write the article about you.

Also have you noticed an uptick yet in calls from the article?

MAKLawnCutter
12-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I havent received any emails or anything from the story yet, i dont think i will. But, gets me out in front of the people that read these articles. Which could evolve into something sooner or later! I hope?

I emailed the editor of the paper, which turns out to be the only one writing articles for the paper at this moment. He wants to start doing some networking and i might start writing an article for him in the near future.

WE SHALL SEE!

I appreciate all the comments on the article gents!

Matt

Steve
12-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh that is great! What kinds of topics would you like to write articles on?

Also, do you know if your article made it to their print version or was this just online?