PDA

View Full Version : Snow Removal Help

Devin Black
11-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Should i use my GMC 1500 4x4 with a plow or should i use a tractor to clear snow, i have so many different oppinions and now i just dont know which to buy, any help would be appreciated.

picframer
12-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Should i use my GMC 1500 4x4 with a plow or should i use a tractor to clear snow, i have so many different oppinions and now i just dont know which to buy, any help would be appreciated.

If you already own the truck and only need a plow, this would be the most cost effective way to plow snow, it isn't a lot of fun pulling a tractor in a snow storm and it is a far slower process, although the maintenance costs using a tractor will be a fraction.

Depending on the tractor being used however they will move more snow than a truck, especially if you have a loader. The other upside is you can use the tractor for lawn care and landscaping, down side is a CUT will cost far more than your truck/plow setup, even the four wheel drive GT's will.

Steve
12-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Andy,

Does much of which one to use come down to the size of the area that needs to be plowed?

Will people be more inclined to use tractors on smaller areas vs larger areas or is that not so much the issue?

picframer
12-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Andy,

Does much of which one to use come down to the size of the area that needs to be plowed?

Will people be more inclined to use tractors on smaller areas vs larger areas or is that not so much the issue?

In our city, companies leave tractors in big parking lots all winter long, the operator just shows up and plows, when you get into the upper end 3000 series, 4000 and 5000 series, a truck will not touch them in deep snow.

I could run a 10 foot wide plow on our 3720, there isn't a pickup that would touch it's ability.

It is somewhat what we do, I have two tractors in private communities that we plow, we show up, plow, drive home, tractors stay where they are. I use the 3720 from home to plow 7 places near my home, it has quite a top end speed, it will go around 35 m.p.h. anyhow if I get called by the city to do loader work, it's what I take.