PDA

View Full Version : The feasibility of using an ATV for lawn care

mark123
11-28-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm looking into expanding next year and will need some equipment. I'm looking at top dressers, sprayer/spreaders, aerators and whatever else you can think of and it occurred to me that there are attachments that can be had for ATVs. I'm pretty sure swstout uses an ATV to spray organics but what about the other things?

I seem to remember there were some ATVs with PTOs but I'm not sure that's even necessary.

I'm not going to replace my mower with an ATV but for spreading fertilizer, aerating, topdressing compost, spraying and even snow removal, it sounds like a great idea. Anyone ever tried anything like that?

picframer
11-28-2010, 05:23 AM
If it has the option for two wheel drive many are o.k., four wheel drive will tear up the lawn and even some of the two wheel drive units will.

I personally think you would be better off searching www.machinefinder.com for a good used lawn or garden tractor, it would be cheaper than an ATV and you could do more with it.

mark123
11-28-2010, 08:39 AM
If it has the option for two wheel drive many are o.k., four wheel drive will tear up the lawn and even some of the two wheel drive units will.

I personally think you would be better off searching www.machinefinder.com for a good used lawn or garden tractor, it would be cheaper than an ATV and you could do more with it.
Very good information. Perhaps I should give in and get something in the utility line so that I can not only do what I currently want to do but also pick up some heavier jobs such as harley raking and full lawn installs.

Steve
11-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Yea it seems the atv's never really work out well. You also rarely see anyone using them for long either. I tend to think, in general, they are purchased for fun but with the goal of writing their costs off on taxes.

mark123
11-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Yea it seems the atv's never really work out well. You also rarely see anyone using them for long either. I tend to think, in general, they are purchased for fun but with the goal of writing their costs off on taxes. I can see that.

I guess I'm just interested in having one piece of equipment that does everything well instead of 30 specialized pieces.

picframer
11-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Yea it seems the atv's never really work out well. You also rarely see anyone using them for long either. I tend to think, in general, they are purchased for fun but with the goal of writing their costs off on taxes.

I have had ATV's for almost 20 years, they were great when the kids were younger, we were gone almost every weekend, year around.

Now in my Garage is a 2007 - 700 Kawie Brute Force, a 2007 - 400 Yahama Kodiak and a 2006- 450 Honda, you know they haven't moved this year, in fact I think it been two years since two of them have been used.

Steve
11-29-2010, 10:49 AM
I guess I'm just interested in having one piece of equipment that does everything well instead of 30 specialized pieces.

It sounds like a job for the compact utility tractors Andy uses.

I have had ATV's for almost 20 years, they were great when the kids were younger, we were gone almost every weekend, year around.

Did you ever use them on any jobs that they were helpful with?

mark123
11-29-2010, 11:20 AM
It sounds like a job for the compact utility tractors Andy uses. Pics and info, please??? :D

picframer
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Pics and info, please??? :D

http://www.mytractorforum.com/

Scroll down to Compact Utility Tractors, pick your brand and tons of information or look at attachments and accessories

picframer
11-30-2010, 06:27 AM

Here is an interesting setup...LOL

mark123
11-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Here is an interesting setup...LOL
That's the dog's mower. He built it and everything. :D

justin_time
11-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Swisher makes a mower for the ATV

http://www.swisherinc.com/images/quad_cut_lg.jpg

http://www.swisherinc.com/quad_cut.asp

Steve
12-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Very interesting find Justin!

mark123
12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm aware of the Swisher products but as stated by the others it doesn't seem feasible for regular use in a professional setting. A tractor setup seems much more flexible after considering the comments here.

picframer
12-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Did you ever use them on any jobs that they were helpful with?

The woods crews did use them last year however part way through the year I bought a Deere 3720 and had the tires loaded for weight, OMG these thing has unreal pulling ability and loads of clearance. The ATV's simply do not compare to what it can do.