PDA

View Full Version : Winter services to offer

clandscaping44
11-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Hey guys. Just curious, you know winter is coming and business is gonna get slow. What r some good winter services to offer besides snow removalto keep the income rollin in? But keep in mind im only 14 so i cant really do heavy landscape jobs such as rocks and such.

Greenside Lawncare, LLC
11-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I do leaf removal, gutter cleaning, and snow removal.

clandscaping44
11-27-2010, 07:36 AM
But arent the leaves like frozen to the ground.

Steve
11-27-2010, 11:16 AM
They will be at a certain point depending on your climate.

What about installing holiday lighting and decorations?

FirstClassLandscaping
11-28-2010, 09:10 PM
I would have to say for me its firewood and if your in a enviroment where its cold in the winters then you really should look into starting that as a source of income when you become older.

Steve
12-01-2010, 09:46 AM
How do you find the amount of pay per time you spend splitting wood compares with the prices you are able to charge per man hour for lawn care? Is it comparable?

FirstClassLandscaping
12-01-2010, 04:13 PM
steve,

Considering i get $240 a cord dumped then it ends up being worth it. for me and another guy to split a cord a wood is about 1 to 2 hours. Then loading my truck to dump in take about 30 mins. So at $240 a cord two guys is about $65 to $70 dollars an hour after fuel costs and other expenses. So all in all i thinks its better to sell wood then cut grass. But i am a landscaper and do both :D.

Thanks
Dan

Steve
12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
How do you suggest promoting your fire wood products? Are most of your firewood customers also lawn care customers or do you sell firewood to many others in your area that are not?

jasonw
12-04-2010, 08:34 PM
O had it this year for $100 a cord and didn't sell a twig. See I was not trying to make money just had a TON of oak to get rid of. about 3 cord all together for $300. No takers at all.

jasonw
12-04-2010, 09:45 PM
I never paid attention but I saw leaf removal mentioned. Is that a service that can be offered all winter season?

clandscaping44
12-04-2010, 10:11 PM
just to add on another question. How many pieces are in a cord of firewood???

Steve
12-05-2010, 05:17 PM
A full cord is enough wood to fill an area 4ft wide X 4ft high x 8ft long.

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.h1.jpg

FirstClassLandscaping
12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
How do you suggest promoting your fire wood products? Are most of your firewood customers also lawn care customers or do you sell firewood to many others in your area that are not?

I do sell to some of my lawn care customers but sell to more people that arent my lawn care people. I use craigslist which has been very successfull for me along with local advertising also word of mouth.

FirstClassLandscaping
12-06-2010, 08:00 PM
just to add on another question. How many pieces are in a cord of firewood???

A full cord of wood has about 450 to 500 pieces of firewood.

Steve
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
When you sell to these new customers, do you do any future marketing to them to promote your lawn care?

When you get to their house, do you look around the property and point out issues you could resolve?

FirstClassLandscaping
12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
A lot of the time the customer says dump it here or stack it here and heres the cash... Some customers will come out and talk to me when i am stacking or dumping and i will hand them my card which will sometimes lead to a new customer. But not every time.

brian'slawncare
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
what is a cord?

brian'slawncare
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM
never mind, I didnt see the other page

Yard Elements
12-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I have thought about selling firewood but where do you get it?

Steve
12-13-2010, 01:22 PM
I would think you would want to find it locally and then split it yourself. Maybe it all depends though on your geographic area, if wood is readily available around you or not.

Could you contact a tree company and get wood from them?

Maybe from from local state owned forests where there is a lot of downed trees?

Maybe some others on here have more advice?

FirstClassLandscaping
12-13-2010, 01:45 PM
I have thought about selling firewood but where do you get it?

The best thing to do in my opionion is to get in contact with one or two busy tree companies and get them to dump on your property. You need to check the wood before it is dumped because a lot of times they will dump you bad wood that is not good to sell. Also go out and look on your own and get truck loads of wood at your pleassure and split it yourself. Happy Splitting:D

Steve
12-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Does it matter if they dump would that is cut in shorter sections or longer sections?

Should you request one over the other?

FirstClassLandscaping
12-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Does it matter if they dump would that is cut in shorter sections or longer sections?

Should you request one over the other?

Usually the tree guys in my area load their truck by hand and will most likely cut the tree into firewood length unless the have a crane on a loader truck. So i would deffently ask if its fireood length before its dumped but most of the time it is.

jklawncare
12-14-2010, 11:34 PM
these woodsjust got cut down next to me..
theres about 300 trees total down and unshredded..probably more now that i think about it..

we talked to the guy that owns the woods..
and he said we can have them..all of them...for firewood or whatever

so we got a bobcat and drug about 50-60 of the smaller and medium sized trees into my yard and started cutting
but then snow came

so starting spring
we will be cutting cutting cutting
and letting them season

keeping half for our fireplace
and selling half..so i think it will turn out good

anyone know a good cheaper priced saw to use?

right now i own an 18" stihl farm boss

not sure how well that will hold up to 300 trees lol

FirstClassLandscaping
12-14-2010, 11:53 PM
these woodsjust got cut down next to me..
theres about 300 trees total down and unshredded..probably more now that i think about it..

we talked to the guy that owns the woods..
and he said we can have them..all of them...for firewood or whatever

so we got a bobcat and drug about 50-60 of the smaller and medium sized trees into my yard and started cutting
but then snow came

so starting spring
we will be cutting cutting cutting
and letting them season

keeping half for our fireplace
and selling half..so i think it will turn out good

anyone know a good cheaper priced saw to use?

right now i own an 18" stihl farm boss

not sure how well that will hold up to 300 trees lol

That saw should have no problem getting through most of that wood depending on what kind of wood you are cutting. Also it depends on how old and how well it was taken care off. But if it is and was well maintained that saw should have no problem.

jklawncare
12-14-2010, 11:57 PM
That saw should have no problem getting through most of that wood depending on what kind of wood you are cutting. Also it depends on how old and how well it was taken care off. But if it is and was well maintained that saw should have no problem.

alright then tanks

not sure what all the woods are..my guess would be alot of oak..cotton wood..

saw is maybe..1-2 years old..serviced regularly..

thanks for letting me know.. i know 300+ trees is alot to cut

FirstClassLandscaping
12-15-2010, 12:04 AM
alright then tanks

not sure what all the woods are..my guess would be alot of oak..cotton wood..

saw is maybe..1-2 years old..serviced regularly..

thanks for letting me know.. i know 300+ trees is alot to cut

Yes 300 plus trees is a lot. The oak will be tougher on the saw then the cotton wood because cotton wood is a very soft wood... Also the cotton wood if it is still green stinks really bad when you cut it just a FYI. Happy Cutting

jklawncare
12-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Yes 300 plus trees is a lot. The oak will be tougher on the saw then the cotton wood because cotton wood is a very soft wood... Also the cotton wood if it is still green stinks really bad when you cut it just a FYI. Happy Cutting

everything has been drying out for about a year or 2 now..but there still whole trees..

we just asked permission to take them and he said help yourself

The Cleaning Doctor
12-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Invest in a couple of chains and a sharpener. Keep the chain sharp and the oil full.

jklawncare
12-15-2010, 12:34 AM
i have about 5 chains that a rotate and take to ACE to sharpen..costs 2 bucks per chain to sharpen