PDA

View Full Version : Level One Maintenance

jymie
11-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Earlier this week I received a call from a national representative from Level One Maintenance Company. They service Mobil and Exxon gas stations among other companies. They asked me about snow plowing etc. Has anyone had any contact with this company and if so, what were your experience with them?

Thanks.

picframer
11-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Earlier this week I received a call from a national representative from Level One Maintenance Company. They service Mobil and Exxon gas stations among other companies. They asked me about snow plowing etc. Has anyone had any contact with this company and if so, what were your experience with them?

Thanks.

Just did a google as I know there are here in Canada also. If you google and go to some of the snow plow forums, you will see they pay in 45 days, and some posters said if at all....just be careful

Steve
11-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Oh boy, when the first thing that pops up in google is a lawsuit look out.

Level 1 Maintenance, Inc Complaints - Dont Pay & Sueing them and Looking at a Class Action Lawsuit

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/level-1-maintenance-inc-c202531.html

There is quite a bit to read there. I'd suggest reading it all before you start working with them.

Let us know what you finally decide to do.

jymie
11-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for that link Steve. It is enough for me to not want to work with them. They seem to screw everyone over until they are threatened with a law suit or get a letter from a lawyer.

Steve
11-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I am glad to help. Sometimes like you said, it's just not worth the hassle. It seems like these larger property management firms that don't perform the work, but instead, sub-contract it out, have a hard time with let go of the money they are billing out.

We have seen other companies in the past have serious issues as well. I don't know if they aren't getting paid on time, or if they are getting paid but then want to stall payment to the sub-contractor. Either way though, why bother with customers who drag out payment when you can get local customers who would be more than willing to pay you on time, sometimes even ahead of time!

What's your view on that?

jymie
11-29-2010, 02:57 AM
When I first began this business a couple of years ago, I was looking for any and everyone that would give me work. I got business from both residential and one local commercial account. In mid season I recieved a call from a property owner who lived in New York City. He found my ad on craigslist. He said he had almost 40 properties in the Buffalo NY area that he needed to have someone service. At the time he was contracted to an outfit that serviced 36 of the properties for him, and he needed someone to do these 4 for him. So even though they were in a questionable area, I took them on, service was to be once a month. We did them the first month, I invoiced them, thirty days later got paid for the work. Great, looks legit, did the service the next month, also did a cleanup at a new property they had, the grass was three foot tall, threw out tons of garbage to the street for pickup, invoiced them for the work, never got paid so we stopped them. They owe me $110 dollars for that second month. The lesson I learned here was make sure to have a signed agreement before doing any dealings with any company. I sent them a contract to sign prior to starting the service but never got it back. I gave up on ever seeing that money.

Steve
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
How important is it also to be able to meet someone in person over such business dealings and talk to someone that has a physical presence in your area? Or does that not much matter?

jymie
11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Meeting face to face is always better. That way you can attach a face to a person if you need to talk with them. They can sign a contract alot easier also.

MAKLawnCutter
12-02-2010, 09:04 AM
"Delayed Billing" - as i put into my new Empirian Property Managment Contracts for their apartment complexs i have just picked up. I was warned that the first payment will not be received for 90days due the fact they are at less than 50% occupancy in their complexs nation wide.

I put a clause in that if i do not receive a payment by day "97" i can put all maintenance on hold till payment is received and clears my bank. I do not apply a late fee but, i save myself the hassle of fighting with office managment and they know if i am not on property for a few days/weeks it is because i am waiting for payment and reimbursement on my service already provided.

Matt

Steve
12-02-2010, 05:44 PM
When you work with such companies, is it worthwhile to change the billing frequency? Is it possible you could bill weekly instead of monthly, to cut down on the time you have to wait for payment?

Also, when a commercial customer wants to wait 3 months to pay, do you feel that detracts from their value? Do monthly residential customers become more appealing?

jymie
12-03-2010, 12:47 AM
In my case, I use paypal to do all of my billing of customers that I have email addresses for and I bill them weekly.