PDA

View Full Version : small backpack blowers

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-25-2010, 02:23 PM
I never really used a small backpack blower. I figured if there 25cc - 30cc there pretty much a hand held blower with support straps. Am I wrong?

I see these dirt cheap and right now there's a blackfriday deal for 129.99. Its a Mccullogh but I seen husky and echos with the same size engines.

Steve
11-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Those are the consumer models right?

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-27-2010, 03:23 AM
Those are the consumer models right?

Yes, like the husqvarna 130BT. Its a backpack with hand held power and pretty much the same weight. I think my son might like one.

Steve
11-27-2010, 10:14 AM
I hadn't seen any bad reviews about it. Why not try it out and see how it works for him. He can always scale it up later as he needs or wants too.

JMADEWELL09
11-27-2010, 12:10 PM
I bought one yesterday i havent tried it yet but it says its a 30 cc commerical style engine.I hope it runs good I also bought the 42 inch rider they had in the ad for 1200 i really want a zero turn but I settled for the craftsman mower

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I bought one yesterday i havent tried it yet but it says its a 30 cc commerical style engine.I hope it runs good I also bought the 42 inch rider they had in the ad for 1200 i really want a zero turn but I settled for the craftsman mower

Commercial style doesnt sell me. The amazon reviews were horrible. The problem I always have with cheaper brands is the craftsmanship.

I just had the air filter housing fall off a good working craftsman blower. After about a half hour of use it started smoking. I paid $30 for it still in the box. The cost to fix doesnt justify the time and effort involved. Ill get another for $30 instead. When I was putting equipment away I seen the throttle linkage missing off a trimmer in storage. I had this problem with 3-4 other craftsman products.

I was going to get the bt130 for $150 on ebay.I know people on here have used them on smaller jobs. I still decided against it and am looking for something bigger then 40cc.

Steve
11-28-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't know for sure but I would bet the average home owner gets only a few hours of use out of these blowers per year.

I have many friends who will only pull out their leaf blower for one afternoon in the fall to blow their leaves into a pile and then the blower goes away until the next year.

So you can imagine the life span these consumer models are built to last for.

Even when they are marketed with phrases like "Commercial style" I would think all that means is there is some similar outer design style that the commercial units share. Beyond that though, I would bet they share next to nothing with their internal designs.