PDA

View Full Version : Landscaper to Outfitters store owner

Steve
11-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Have you ever thought about running another business? Jeff Curtis was once a landscaper and now he is co-owner of an outfitters store.

What other things would you like to do?

Fishing and hunting a passion for co-owner of Curtis Wright Outfitters (http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200661117076) - Jeff and I always talked about opening a fly shop,” Murrey said. “One day I called and asked if he was still thinking about it. We spent a year researching it.”

The first Curtis Wright Outfitters store in Weaverville opened in April 2003, the Saluda store in March 2004 and the Biltmore Village store last April. The shops offer fly-fishing and grouse hunting guide services, women’s and men’s clothing, fly-fishing and spin fishing supplies, rifles and shotguns, hunting equipment, and day hiking gear.

Salary range: $35,000 to $50,000 for retail store owners just starting out.

Favorite part of job: “When I was guiding a trip down in the North Mills River area, I looked out and said, ‘This is my office.’ I like being outdoors.”

Least favorite part of job: “Disappointing a customer, when someone is expecting something, and it’s not in stock, or a trip that didn’t go well,” Murrey said. “It’s unfortunate, but it happens.”