PDA

View Full Version : Trade Secrets

tiedeman
11-20-2006, 09:30 PM
How many of you feel that you are constantly used by other LCO's or the competition?

It just seems like whenever I tip my hat and help another one out they take the information and use it for their benefit, and you never hear back from them. Or the only time that you hear from another LCO is when he needs help with something. Just makes me mad.

Steve
11-20-2006, 09:39 PM
I think that is an interesting topic. I have found so often there is one thing to be told something and then another thing to fully understand it and practice it.

I think that is why business consultants exist actually, because sometimes to fully understand and grasp a conceptwe need to be walked through a concept step by step to fully digest it.

What's your view?

tiedeman
11-20-2006, 09:44 PM
I agree. That you need to have a fresh prespective. And I don't mind providing it, but it seems like I should start charging people for it. I mean, I am the one that got the education, certifications, etc. and now they want the information that I worked so hard for

Steve
11-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Quote[/b] ] but it seems like I should start charging people for it

Maybe you should? Would you ever want to be a business consultant?

tiedeman
11-20-2006, 10:04 PM
I think that I would have a blast doing that.

I would hate to charge friends for it, but it seems like whenver I do hear from a "friend" they want something. A couple of examples.

1. One guy constantly calls me when he needs help with a customer or project. I never calls me out of the blue just to shot the breeze.

2. Another guy that I was friends with, basically took my contracts and used them.

3. The last guy, which takes the cake, calls me one day. I haven't heard from him in like 2 months, asks me to come over to a house of where he is tearing up the landscape, he wants a price for some work. So I go over there, and he asks me how much I would charge to do stuff, and what I would recommend. I told him everything. Next thing I know he says, "Thanks. I should get away with charging the customer that amount...see you later."

Steve
11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
I am sorry about these people upseting you like this. It could be a springboard to bigger and better things. People are coming to you because of your knowledge base.

You could be practicing now a future career and not even be aware of it.

I can understand your desire to not charge your friends but as more and more people look to you for advise you become more valuable and could charge for one on one consultation.

In fact this is what one of the guys who ran another green industry forum did for many years.

It's an interesting thought!