PDA

View Full Version : lawn striping

miked9372
11-18-2010, 05:52 PM
do you guys use rollers of broom heads for your strips?

mark123
11-18-2010, 06:10 PM
No. A properly pitched deck and a high lift blade usually does the trick.
http://boughterslawncare.com/Content/images/churchYard.jpg

CHEESE2009
11-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Don't listen to him, he paints his stripes on the lawns when customers aren't looking!!!!!!!!:D

Just kiddinggggggggg!

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-18-2010, 06:48 PM
It looks a lot like paint to me, JK- isnt lawn care (http://www.localedgelawncare.com/services.php) fun? You can make neat stripes and always a fun little game to see who has the straightest lines. without using paint!! Sad but I fired a guy once cause he couldnt cut straight and he thought i was being funny cause I gave him a last warning.. Whos laughing now?

mark123
11-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Here's my lawn:
http://boughterslawncare.com/Content/images/myLawn.jpg

Grr. Bentgrass!!! Die bentgrass, die!!!

TheGoat
11-18-2010, 08:37 PM
No. A properly pitched deck and a high lift blade usually does the trick.
http://boughterslawncare.com/Content/images/churchYard.jpg

So how should a deck be Pitched for lawn mowing (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com) and getting really nice stripes?

Steve
11-19-2010, 03:31 AM
The other thing to keep in mind too is that certain types of grasses lend themselves to easier stripping. Some you can't stripe really at all.

picframer
11-19-2010, 04:43 AM
We have a Blue/Rye grass that is desperate hard and sometimes next to impossible to stripe. When we did stripe Deere makes a broom type attachment for the deck, it does work well in the right grass.

miked9372
11-19-2010, 06:21 AM
ya i have high lift blades but the strips just fade away the next day

mark123
11-19-2010, 07:03 AM
We have a Blue/Rye grass that is desperate hard and sometimes next to impossible to stripe. When we did stripe Deere makes a broom type attachment for the deck, it does work well in the right grass.

My pics are mainly KBG and Rye mix (and some darn bentgrass :mad:). Some mowers just don't stripe well. Mine is a Toro.

brian'slawncare
11-19-2010, 02:43 PM
ya i have high lift blades but the strips just fade away the next day

I had that same problem when I started. I learned that by mowing in the same direction for two services in a row will eventually make them nice. I do that each of my direction I am going to mow that season and after 8 weeks (4 ways, 2 for each) the stripes will stay after you have mowed. Also, make sure your wheel is not going over the same track as the path next to you. Another words, take advantage of the blade extension past the wheels....but not too much or you will leave uncut grass behind ( I made that mistake once, never again)

miked9372
11-19-2010, 03:19 PM
mine doesn't strip well that's why i asked if i should get a roller or broom head not the kind of blades...

MAKLawnCutter
11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I changed my cutting direction today on a yard and decided to go in a circle. I got done and it looked like the yard was moving... no picture, fail.

St.Augustine Grass is a PAIN to get to stripe.

Bahia Doesnt stripe, it lays down and clumps

Striping in FL is AWESOME!

matt

Rodriguez11
11-25-2010, 09:57 PM
In my time mowing i have never come across a yard as green as some of these pictures to do any striping. Not that there arent any around here. I just havent been able to cut any. Cant wait to do one. Cant seem to upload any of my pictures

mark123
11-25-2010, 11:22 PM
In my time mowing i have never come across a yard as green as some of these pictures to do any striping. Not that there arent any around here. I just havent been able to cut any. Cant wait to do one. Cant seem to upload any of my pictures
Well, of course I only take pics of the lawns I both fertilize and cut. ;) I stripe up the stinkers, too. They just don't look so good. :D

A few more tips for lawn pictures are: the stripes will look better from one side that it will from the other depending on the position of the sun at the time. if you know you're going to take pics of a lawn cut it in the same direction as the last time you did it. This will deepen the stripe. don't compress the images too hard when you optimize them for the web as this can sometimes wash out the colors. jpg compression makes pictures smaller by throwing out information and sometimes that includes color information.

Steve
11-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Do you feel it is important to change the direction of the stripes after a certain period of time, or is it always better to keep with the same cutting direction?

What do you feel is better for the lawn and what is better for the stripes?

mark123
11-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Do you feel it is important to change the direction of the stripes after a certain period of time, or is it always better to keep with the same cutting direction?

What do you feel is better for the lawn and what is better for the stripes?
I try to do a different pattern each week. Usually I'll alternate between horizontal and vertical. Then every once in a while I'll do a diagonal stripe if I decide to take the extra time.

If you make the same pattern every week you'll rut the lawn. The tire tracks will get slightly lower each week, especially if it has rained, and this will cause the area in the middle of the deck to get scalped. If you see a lawn with brown lines except where there are tire tracks you'll know they never change pattern.

Steve
11-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Very interesting!

How long after your last fertilization do you feel is the optimal time to take a great picture of the lawn?

mark123
11-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Very interesting!

How long after your last fertilization do you feel is the optimal time to take a great picture of the lawn?A couple of days to a couple of weeks. If you use fertilizer with Iron you get that deep green color rather quickly. Of course if your pH is off fertilizing may not have a significant color effect. It also depends on your grass type. You're not going to get that deep, dark green on tall fescue or zoysia, et al.