PDA

View Full Version : Blade Sharpening Florida Grass and Soil

mmcuttrim
11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
So I found that my exhaust tube bolts on my zero had come loose. I had lost one and found the other on the ground. I took it in for repair since it is still under warranty. When I went to pick it up they had sharpened the blade. The mower only has 6 hours on it. I was informed that it would need to be sharpened about every 5 hours or so, and especially here in FL and winter time due to the soil acting upon it like a "sandblaster". I'm in the Central FL area and just wondering if there is anymore info out there or did they want to make a dime because of the warranty work? Thanks.

XtreemGreen
11-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Over time the "sandblasting" will destroy your mower deck. I welded 1/4 steel plate on mine and the sand went through that as well.... Depending on how much work you do daily should determine when to sharpen the blades.. If you mow 5-10 1/4 acre homes daily, then Id sharpen them daily..

Hope this helps..

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Wow maybe salt lake city lawn care (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) is a bit different? SO you guys cut lawns thats real sandy? thats nothing like that here its nice soil for the most part and each of my trucks cut about 20 lawns a day 5 days a week and only need to sharpen once a week depending on how many things they hit but typically once a week.

XtreemGreen
11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Florida is naturally sandy.. The only way to get away from sand is to have good clean dirt dumped on top of the grass..

picframer
11-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Over time the "sandblasting" will destroy your mower deck. I welded 1/4 steel plate on mine and the sand went through that as well.... Depending on how much work you do daily should determine when to sharpen the blades.. If you mow 5-10 1/4 acre homes daily, then Id sharpen them daily..

Hope this helps..

Holy smokes that is something, I often wondered how companies that face a lot of sand fare mowing, I have been to Florida many times with my parents years ago then with my own kids, it must be brutal mowing in the summer.

We do not face the sand issue here so blades are generally sharpened once a week unless someone hit something then they are sharpened on the spot.

brian'slawncare
11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
wow. it must be easy for you guys to sharpen your blades since you do it every week. I end up sharpening mine every moth (2-5 cuts per week depending on time of year) because it is such a pain. How do you guys do it?

picframer
11-19-2010, 05:06 PM
wow. it must be easy for you guys to sharpen your blades since you do it every week. I end up sharpening mine every moth (2-5 cuts per week depending on time of year) because it is such a pain. How do you guys do it?

It's super easy to take the decks off the X749 garden tractors, then I or one of the staff use this unit and a cordless drill, just takes a few min's, same with push mowers

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10185&cat=2,2160,40710

brian'slawncare
11-19-2010, 07:06 PM
the only problem I see with that, is that my mower is a mulcher and for some reason it says not for mulching blades....think it would make a diference? or would it probably be ok?

picframer
11-19-2010, 07:28 PM
the only problem I see with that, is that my mower is a mulcher and for some reason it says not for mulching blades....think it would make a diference? or would it probably be ok?

My blades are all Gator high lift, I have no idea why it says that as it works perfect for me.

XtreemGreen
11-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I run wavy mulchers.. I sharpen them with an angle grinder and a vise..

brian'slawncare
11-20-2010, 08:20 PM
My blades are all Gator high lift, I have no idea why it says that as it works perfect for me.

Are those mulching blades?

picframer
11-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Are those mulching blades?

Yes bud they are mulching blades

mmcuttrim
11-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Sorry it took so long to reply back, but I did read the post as they came in. It is amazing they need that much sharpening. I am doing about 5 yards a week right now. I guess it just never entered my mind about how the sand interacts with the blades and deck. It's good to continue to learn. Someone asked what type of grass we were cutting, and I don't recall an answer. In Central FL it is mainly St. Augustine in residential yards, some bahia, and now seeing different zoyzias. Well I suppose I will just need to breakout the checkbook a little more often. Thanks for all the answers!

MM Cut & Trim
Miles