PDA

View Full Version : Fall Clean Up in Greenland NH, do it right!

Upscale2
11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVqgXCDP_20?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVqgXCDP_20?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Steve
11-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Very interesting! I don't see too many leaf plows being used, what made you decide to go with one of them and how do you like using them vs a leaf blower or mowing with a leaf vac attachment on the back?

What are the pros and cons of using them?

Upscale2
11-18-2010, 05:50 PM
We have 2 EB7001 Red Max back pack blower to create wind rows of leaves. Depending on the layout of the property we use the plow to push the rows of leave then quickly blow residual leaves to the vacuum. The plow is new this year and has saved us a ton of time.

Most Landscapers have leaf plows in our area.

Steve
11-19-2010, 03:06 AM
Ahhhh maybe you all get a lot more leaves up there than others do and that is why the plows are more common?

Had you ever experimented with using mulch blades on your mowers and mulching them all up and bagging them on your mowers? Or does this method just make it far faster and easier?

Upscale2
11-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Well we do live in a more rural area.
However, using mulch blades seems to have two drawbacks, one is that you are literally handling leaves more by blowing out beds, mowing and bagging them and then dumping then vacuuming, not to mention you cant really hold much in the receptacle. Also, bagging in some cases is very messy, have you seen the video of the guy using his mower on here? He looks like Linus from the Peanuts cartoon.

Steve
11-20-2010, 04:15 AM
That makes sense. So ultimately this comes down to it being the fastest method to remove leaves with the equipment you have.

Are you able to do anything with the leaves that are collected where maybe you can shred them up and and reuse them as a fertilizer for the next year for gardens or no?

Upscale2
11-20-2010, 02:06 PM
We bring our leaves and grass clippings to a recycle facility where they make beautiful compost. Since the grass clippings are fertilized in many cases, then composted,stuff grows like crazy when you do plantings.

Steve
11-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Is this something the town runs? Do they charge a disposal fee?

Some towns run recycling centers where you can drop off organic material like that and then later take free mulch or top soil.

Upscale2
11-21-2010, 08:06 AM
No, one place is a Tractor Sales Co. and they compost out back of their property. The other is a Supply Co. for mulch, compost and aggregates.

LawnMoore
12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Were you able to buy the leaf vaccum (stand alone) or is this something that you took off, of a unit that pulled behind a mower?

What are your charges per acre? (I charge 100-150 per acre) depending on leaf ammount.

Thanks!

Upscale2
12-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I bought the Leaf Vac as a stand alone/ truck application. Everyone in New England has one. If not they usually are the guys that don't really have a business. Just trying to make a buck or two.

I can usually figure out a price according to types of trees, yard size and if the people have a lot of beds, gardens etc....

I would say it averages around $150 per acre.

jasonw
12-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Sorry I don't have much to add other than you are my F-ing hero lol I would love to be doing well enough one day to have a truck like that black one. I have yet to do any leaf removal save for a couple times I was asked to blow them into a burn pile. You mentioned operators wasting the clients money if they tarp them in a truck. Why is that?

jklawncare
12-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Sorry I don't have much to add other than you are my F-ing hero lol I would love to be doing well enough one day to have a truck like that black one. I have yet to do any leaf removal save for a couple times I was asked to blow them into a burn pile. You mentioned operators wasting the clients money if they tarp them in a truck. Why is that?

he amy have another way of explaining this but im assuming its because if your charge by time.. it takes a a more siginificant amount of time to drag off on tarps than to suck up in the leaf vac..

by the way
that setup looks fantastic..id love to be where your at with your business and hopefully ill be able too once i get out of school..

Upscale2
12-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Did you see all of those oak leaves? If you were to tarp them it would take 2 guys at least 4 hours to load into a truck plus multiple drives to the dump. I filled my truck box 3 times full, using a leaf vac that minces 10-1. I would have filled my truck at least 10 times probably 15 or more. Imagine the expense!

You have to recoup your money some where, you either charge the customer, which they won't pay for that inefficiency. OR you get the proper equipment and do it professionally and efficiently.

It only took me 2 years to afford that truck. I rely heavily on referral business, bringing value and loyalty to my customers.

I assure it isn't easy work and I don't have a bunch of money in my pocket, but my business is growing and I will reap the rewards in the near future.