PDA

View Full Version : Bought a GPS!

CHEESE2009
11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
So it's the end of the season, best time to buy a GPS (just kidding). I will be using it for doing snow removal. It's very difficult to see addresses on houses when they are covered in snow, or when it's just dark out.

Anyway, so I got this new 'toy' and I'm obviously going to putter around with it all day.

'GARMIN nuvi 205W series' <- bla bla bla

I swear to god, I wish I could be a taxi driver now.

"TURN LEFT, TURN LEFT, TURN LEFT" <- about to crap my pants "I CANT GO LEFT ANYMORE!!!" jks...

Nah, this is a very cool tool. Nice an accurate.

I thought I'd be wasting my money, as I'd never figure out how to use it - but it's pretty straightforward.

I programmed my house address into it, while sitting idle a block away... That 2 second drive was awesome. "You are now arriving at your home"

hahaha! .... I obviously didn't stay home, I ended up programming a few other addresses into it and driving around...

THE UPSETTING PART OF MY DAY;

After I bought this toy from BestBuy (worst service ever as usual).
I decided to grab a bite at McDonalds, though I couldn't find my credit card! I must have left it at BestBuy, with their stupid updated machines...

It's rare to see a truck screeeeeech out of a McDonalds parking lot and make it across an intersection before the red light within a blink of an eye. I don't know if I got stares from terrified pedestrians, or they were just checking out my cool new GPS! LOL

In the end, I found my credit card... booya !

picframer
11-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I honestly couldn't run this company without GPS in all the trucks, we run Garmin as, IMHO they are the best unit on the market.

CHEESE2009
11-15-2010, 03:55 PM
I just have to figure out how to change the voice, listening to a female nag me on directions is the last thing I want.

'She' also can't pronounce the street names properly...

E.g (rue = street in French)

Rue Graham pronounced, "ROO Gray-Ham"

She says, "RUHGRUM" .... very interesting...

I'm sure I can find a way to download voices and such, I'm just completely lazy right now...

here's a funny pic;

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/breeze2009/batmanlol.jpg

picframer
11-15-2010, 06:40 PM
I can't stand any of the voices or a back seat driver so I leave it on mute.

CHEESE2009
11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I didn't know you could do that!

Damn right... that's why it has a volume control! hahaha

I'm bored out of my mind, I wanna go drive around and play with the gps...

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
I have used my Garmin for archival purposes for almost 6 years.
I carry it absolutely everywhere I go. Each night, I download the trip log to my computer.

If there is ever a question where I was, when I was there, and how long I was there for, I have proof in the form of my trip log.

I also sync my camera's clock with the GPS clock. So, when I take a picture, I know exactly when and where the picture was taken.

GPS is one of the best inventions ever.

Keith

CHEESE2009
11-15-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm going to invent a GPS that either lies or pressures you into driving to places you don't want to.

GPS, "Go through the field... common... no one will see, it'll cut 3 minutes off our time!"

GPS, "Turn right here... haha, you can't! - sucker!"

or...

GPS, "Lost huh? I'm not telling you where to go! Unless you go HERE first" *Destination, Mexico*

Instead of a car or an arrow as your position marker, it'll be a middle finger... or a smirking face, that chuckles at your expense...

Just imagine it saying, "Get out of the car... get out now..." the doors lock... and poisonous fumes come out of the air vents. "You must find another way out of this vehicle, but I wont tell you how... You have 5 minutes until you will die, your final destination is death today"

Saw ^^^^

It will also make you drive a lot faster and dangerously... "If you pull over as the police request, I will blow this vehicle up" as a sound of your family crying LOL through the GPS speaker.... "Want to see them again?"

The Cleaning Doctor
11-15-2010, 10:13 PM
LOL

I rented a car from Hertz once and ended up in a part of Boston that I should not have been in. I was using their GPS. There are 2 streets with the same name.

Landed at 10 pm found the hotel @ 2:30 am

This was when they were new.

Hedgemaster
11-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I'll have what HE'S having!

ROFLMAO!!!

Steve
11-16-2010, 03:35 AM
I have muted the gps a number of times and then on a long cruise, I missed a turn because I wasnt paying attention. When I finally turned the voice back on, I kept waiting for a sarcastic voice to say 'I bet I don't sound so annoying now as you have to back track, do I? do I? do I? do I?' LOL

CHEESE2009
11-16-2010, 08:11 PM
I 'downloaded/uploaded' a voice to my GPS, "Horror Voice" sounds scary...

Anyway, I was on my way to drop off my tractor to get the choke fixed and I just about crapped my pants.

First off, I NEVER drive with my window closed... It's a comfort thing, rain, snow, etc... Can't have it closed... Which means I can't even make out what the GPS is saying with all the wind... lol

So the noise I did heard from my GPS sounded like a car scraping against my truck - this downloaded voice says things at random to keep you 'awake' I guess... though it couldn't have been at a worse time.

I don't need that noise at 7am man... I was hardly awake and without my coffee. I ended up looking in all my mirrors and checking out other cars to see who the f' hit me... then I realized it was the A-Hole in my GPS....

The voice got fired today lol.... I'm going to downloaded a more 'female seductive' voice for my GPS...

"Turn here baby" lol

I want a GPS that's more like a super computer... one I can talk to and have discussions like;

Scott: GPS, give me the overall vehicle statistics please.

GPS: I am on it Mr. Scott, I see here you are low on fuel and nearing a gas station - I advice you to fill up now. I also recommend you put up your damn window, there's a blizzard going on you 'tard..... By the way sir, you look rather handsome today, how is the family?

....I'd love that...

Hedgemaster
11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
hahaha he said "tard".

I like this nut!

:D

Steve
11-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Scott maybe even a heads up display like in terminator? LOL

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LUZgPfdkWis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LUZgPfdkWis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

CHEESE2009
11-17-2010, 11:20 AM
You have no idea how bad I want one of those. Just staring at a property it'll quote the job for me, tell me how high the grass is, etc... lmao

"Terminate the weeds"

Scott maybe even a heads up display like in terminator? LOL

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LUZgPfdkWis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LUZgPfdkWis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Steve
11-18-2010, 03:16 AM
LOL there are sooooo many voice downloads out there you can get. I had no idea!

Billy Bob The Cussing Redneck
Bubba's Nasty Cousin. We caught him on a cussin day. Heck every day is a cussin day for Billy Bob. Be surprised around each corner with this guy riding shotgun with you. Put cotton in them kids' ears.

http://www.pigtones.com/

HAHAHHAHAH Imagine just having someone in the car with you and they have no idea what to expect when this gps unit starts cursing! HAHHAHAHAHHA

jasonw
11-18-2010, 12:58 PM
I already had a GPS unit and the day I went into business I mounted it in the truck. It has saved me so much money by getting me to the job the first time without driving in circles for hours.

Hedgemaster
11-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd tag along on this one in the hopes of picking your brains...

I needed to get one of these things (GPS) for work. I started looking into them (no prior experience at all) and after hearing favorable reviews of the Garmin units, I decided I'd get a Garmin Nuvi 1350LMT as Sears had one on sale for $149 yesterday. Well, the one that was advertised was the LMT (lifetime maps AND traffic updates), but the one that came up for that price online just had the "T" (traffic updates), so I looked around a bit more. (I wanted one w/lifetime map and traffic)

I saw that Best Buy had a Nuvi 1300 for $129 and since the only difference seems to be the lack of "lane assist" and "speed limit" indicator, I figured I'd just get that one.

THEN when I went to the store I saw that they had a TomTom XXL 550TM for the same price. ($129) Hmmm... the Garmin had 4.3" screen and the TomTom has a 5" screen.(doesn't sound like it, but the difference is notable) In addition, the TomTom has lane assist, and a few other little things, so I took a chance and picked it up.

I'm not thoroughly impressed. It's supposed to have this feature called "IQ Routes" which sends you on the fastest route for the time of day based upon "historical traffic data, broken down by the day of the week and time of day, the latter in 15 minute increments."
Well, a few hours ago, I plugged in the street names for an intersection where I was going to get gas. Not only does that particular gas station not even appear on the list of nearby stations, but the unit had me going on a half-assed route through my neighborhood, as opposed to the truly fastest way to get there.

Another thing I didn't like was that it repeats some instructions at odd times.
Ex. "In 2.5 miles, exit right, exit 74", then at about .5 miles from the exit, it repeated the EXACT same thing. Wait, WHAT?! Then within seconds, it correctly stated "In 1/4 mile, exit right".

It also announced the exits as their "old" numbers... they were changed roughly a year ago.

I mean, am I just expecting too much based upon the praise I hear for these technological "wonders"?

My other gripe is the manner in which destination points are entered...

Enter the city name first.
Enter the Street name second.
Enter the house number last.

??? That's "backwards"!

As you type, a list of possible names you are searching for pops up so that you may select one - that's great, but what if I don't KNOW the actual "city"? Lots of people will give me a house number and street, but if I forget to ask for the town, I'm sort of screwed.

Now... if I want to find an address on Google Maps on my computer, I just start typing "from the beginning" (house number, street, then city), and possible choices will pop up. Even without knowing the "city", I can almost always locate the correct address this way.
DO ANY OTHER GPS UNITS ALLOW FOR THIS TYPE OF ADDRESS "SEARCHING"/ENTERING?

If so, I may return this and get something else.
I'm also not thrilled with the window mount. While the suction cup thingy works well, the bracket pops off the back of the unit at the slightest nudge.

I was trying to go for something "affordable", but when I consider that I can use this as a tax write off (for business), maybe I should just spend a few more dollars for something "better" - maybe even one that allows you to "speak" the destination rather than typing it, and one that is Bluetooth compatible may be a wise choice, as I will not use a hand held cell phone while driving.

Any suggestions appreciated. :)

picframer
11-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd tag along on this one in the hopes of picking your brains...

Any suggestions appreciated. :)

Here is a site with reviews. Prior to this yardcare/excavation company, I was the C.O.O. and C.F.O. of one of the largest GPS tracking companies in Canada, we worked close with Law enforcement, tracking social workers who may have an issue visiting certain locations, plow trucks, transports etc.

Anyhow I attained a lot of first hand experience with what worked and what did not, it was interesting many of the units we brought in for trial and testing did not live up to what they were supposed to do and in many cases did not work at all.

the kids and I went to Florida for Christmas two years ago (shopping trip), we rented a Camry at the airport and a GPS system, it was a TomTom, it had to be the most frustrating unit I have used, took us where we didn't want to go, missing locations and a few other issues.

Personally I have used Garmin for years in my own vehicles, company vehicles etc. I do not have one complaint with them.

Here is a good read

http://www.gpsunitreports.com/

For searching a location, Garmin is City, number, street. If you only want the street, when it asks you for street number, just press done. They may very well have voice activated units, I haven't bought a GPS for two years as ours all work great. My 2009 Jetta has a voice activated computer, it is sweet, I can hit a button on the steering wheel and say call son, dial 555-1212 etc. I thought when I bought it that this option was overkill but once you use it a few times, it is something to have.

a voice activated GPS would be sweet as I hate typing while driving, especially when I am pulling a lot of weight, drivers do not seem to have any respect at all and I drive most of the time in a defensive mode to avoid accidents, which this year was pretty brutal some weeks.

Steve
12-01-2010, 08:53 AM
What is that lane assist feature? What does that do? I am seeing now on some new cars they have some kind of safety feature that is supposed to help keep you in your lane and I am wondering if this is similar or tied in with that.

Hedgemaster
12-01-2010, 10:44 AM
What is that lane assist feature? What does that do? I am seeing now on some new cars they have some kind of safety feature that is supposed to help keep you in your lane and I am wondering if this is similar or tied in with that.

My TomTom has the same thing. (they call it Advanced Lane guidance)
When you near the exit on an interstate, the view changes from the standard mapping to this...

http://img.gpsreview.net/wp-content/uploads/tomtom-alg-3a-sacramento.png

It shows exactly which lane(s) you need to get into with a flashing green arrow, as well as the white arrow displayed on the bottom. I thought it was stupid, but I suppose it can be useful when there are multiple lanes that can be used for exiting. It popped up for me the other night on the way back home and was showing me that I could use either of the two right lanes to continue to my destination.

It's nothing more than a visual assist to the current GPS directions.

Steve
12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks! That could be very helpful.